IGNORED

michael nyman

kaen

ok so this guy has quite an extensive discography and i really cant be arsed to go through it all, where should i start, what stands out as his best work?

dunno how popular he is here so feel free to recommend any other minimalist pianists/composers

Piano Concerto is a must have, and obviously his most popular work by a thousand. You have probably heard it from the movie The Piano, but he took it and created a complete concerto out of it. It's really great. It has everything "Nyman", the sax, the piano, the rhythm...

His soundtrack to The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover is pretty great. Especially his Memorial track with the terror raunch saxophone.

The Piano is an obvious one but my favorite is the soundtrack to Wonderland (which is also an awesome film, if you can find it anywhere)

I saw Wonderland when it first came out, and I can't remember whether I hated it or loved it. I'm pretty sure I liked the score though. Will try and track both down.

Edit: Also a bjorkesque Gina Mckee as is one of the most 90's images I've ever seen.

Wonderland-Poster.jpg

by 'a game of two halves' above, i obviously meant 'after extra time'

'a game of two halves' was the name of an awesome various tape of triphop on one side and filthy acid techno from the megadog djs on the other side that i once had

Edit: Also a bjorkesque Gina Mckee as is one of the most 90's images I've ever seen.

Is that legit? I've been fapping over her since 'Our Friends In The North'.

The image is, fapping over her certainly not, as she's a mackem rather than pure bred Geordie.

Is that legit? I've been fapping over her since 'Our Friends In The North'.

The image is, fapping over her certainly not, as she's a mackem rather than pure bred Geordie.

Now I just feel sullied.

I saw Wonderland when it first came out, and I can't remember whether I hated it or loved it. I'm pretty sure I liked the score though. Will try and track both down.

Wonderland-Poster.jpg

Its a great film, perhaps one of my all time favorites, very naturalistically filmed (using handheld cameras mostly). There are lots of extended scenes with no dialog where the score really comes to the fore. And it captures the spirit of millenium London very well.

It wasn't available on DVD until quite recently (except in Canada for some reason), but amazon have it now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderland-DVD-Shirley-Henderson/dp/B000CCE20U

Wonderland-Poster.jpg

Its a great film, perhaps one of my all time favorites, very naturalistically filmed (using handheld cameras mostly). There are lots of extended scenes with no dialog where the score really comes to the fore. And it captures the spirit of millenium London very well.

It wasn't available on DVD until quite recently (except in Canada for some reason), but amazon have it now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderland-DVD-Shirley-Henderson/dp/B000CCE20U

Cheers, I'm going to see if I can pick it up in town tomorrow. Now that I'm actually living in London, I might get more from it. I read some of the reviews on metacritic and was surprised how well received it was in the States, although I doubt it ever showed outside Greenwich village. Also quite a few comparisons to Wong Kar-Wei, which I sort of get, but it goes to show that what can seem 'exotic' or new is often intentionally banal or parochial to a native.

Archived