IGNORED

building your own speakers

plstik

Anyone ever tried?

I've been looking for a new pair of speakers and my father suggested to build them on my own. Because I dont have that much background on how to plan/build speakers I came across several pages that sell DIY kits from Desktop- speakers to high- end systems. (They say its possible to build your own system for 2.000€, instead of paying 10.000..)

Those two sets would suit my budget:

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/mini_en.htm

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/simon_en.htm

The price is for one speaker (without chassis; amp) ~120€, do you think those are worth it?

Yeah, I have a couple monitors that I built myself. The kit was only $150, and are comparable to speakers in the $500 range.

It's actually quite simple, but you have to have some soldering skills and some of the necessary tools [hot glue, wire cutters, soldering iron, etc].

• 2 months later...

Sooo I finally bought a 2.1 system. The chassis is still missing, but the hardware arrived a few days ago. Since I have absolutely no idea how they're gonna sound when they're finished, I'm a bit nervous. Still, the new amplifier already sounds fucking amazing on my old system, so we'll see :emotawesomepm9:

pictures!

img0323i.th.jpg

img0328.th.jpg

my old system, it sucks.

img0332yw.th.jpg

a few facts:

Satellite:

Frequency response: 50-35 000 Hz (-8dB)

Power handling (RMS/peak): 80 / 120 Watt

Crossover frequency: 3500 Hz

Sound pressure level at rated input: 82 dB (1W/1m)

Impedance: 8 Ohm

Size (HxWxD): 31,4 x 19 x 25 cm

Subwoofer:

Sound pressure level:109 dB (1W/1m)

Power: 150 Watt sinus/300 Watt music

Frequency response (-8dB): from 27 Hz

(upper crossover frequency adjustable)

Size (HxWxD): 64 x 26 x 38 cm

Impedance: 4 Ohm

wow those kits are quite expensive.... I'm in the cz rep, and I'm buying some monitors soon, but I can get a set of krk's for the price of those kits, and then I still have to build the boxes. I'd love to do it, and I've done it before, but it's gottaa be a better deal than buying pro monitors...

How do they sound? I;m curious. :)

I've ordered the boxes monday. They should be done in 1-2weeks, so I'll have to be patient.

And yes, those were rather expensive. I decided to spent a little more, so hopefully the quality will justify that :rolleyes:

Satellite: 160€ each

Subwoofer: 180€

Subwoofer- Amp: 260€

Stereo- amp: 200€ (I didnt have one before)

+150€ for the boxes (the material I need is kinda expensive, but they'll process it for me so I only have to put everything together)

How can you keep Harry Potter next to Eco, and on the same shelve as Kakfa? (etc.)

either that or:

img0334z.th.jpg

you sick sob... get that off of fante this instant!

Guest ezkerraldean

i've done it before but they tend to be pretty shit. to be fair i don't put much effort in though.

rigged up to my laptop now i have some old speakers from a 1980s TV with fabric from some waterproof trousers for a diaphragm, mounted in small cereal boxes.

• 5 weeks later...

soo I've managed to build the satellites and they're better than I'd expected.

They sound is very detailed and acute, although it seems a little bit "stinging"..And the bass is a little bit thin compared to my old speakers, but thats what that 600cm monster of a subwoofer is going to be for

Still one speaker seems to be broken, it sounded too crunchy and when I moved the membrane by myself you could hear a little scratching noise...I've contacted the seller and gonna send it back tomorrow :cisfor:

Setting up was quite easy, I really sucked with the soldering iron, but somehow managed my way through the wiring diagram :blush:

• 1 year later...
Guest MrSparkle666

The kit that I bought was from a company called Dayton Audio. I think the kit was through Parts Express.

I have these speakers. They are absolutely killer for the price. They only took a few hours to put together, and my jaw dropped the first time I heard them. They really do compare favorable to speakers in the $400-$500 range. Unfortunately, they aren't that great as studio monitors because their frequency response is not flat at all.

Guest hahathhat

i'll build things like pedals and synths, but some things take a level of OCD i don't have. i would go insane trying to build a mixer, wiring up sixteen identical channels! not worth my time to save a couple hundred.

i feel like if i put together speakers, something would wind up a quarter inch off, and it'd sound shit!

soo I've managed to build the satellites and they're better than I'd expected.

They sound is very detailed and acute, although it seems a little bit "stinging"..And the bass is a little bit thin compared to my old speakers, but thats what that 600cm monster of a subwoofer is going to be for

A 6 meter subwoofer?! :ohmy:

Archived