IGNORED

Abnormal heartbeats

SR4

its 4 am over here and i am, once again, scared to death to go to sleep. Sometimes, and it seems when ive been drinking caffeine, that my heart will almost skip a beat, and its real noticeable....i think im having a heart attack.

Twice last year i went to the emergency room because of that, each time they run some tests on me and say its slightly abnormal, but a lot of people develop it. I even asked my doctor if i should get off my meds (small dose of Adderall), but he thinks its the caffeine....

so apparently these things arent dangerous persay (although my doctor told me to always be wary of any crazy ones), but goddamn if they aren't scary as all fucking hell.

i know im not gonna die and im still scared to death to go to sleep.

Guest abusivegeorge

Lots of people do develop these, but there are fucking reasons why, the causes for those reasons should be stopped immediately. Therefore if your doctor thinks it's the caffeine, stop drinking fucking caffeine dude.

<3

yeah, but i guess thats like akin to saying "stop smoking"

fuck, im doing so well with the drink, maybe soda and cigs, i can do a trial period, 1 week away from all of them.

christ.

i also notice, that if i do some cardio workout during the day, they never come around...hmm..

and it wasnt even that much caffeine. one, like 10oz cup of coffee...

yeah, i need to stop rationalizing and just cut it out.

but still, any you guys ever get these things?

fuking frightening on two levels, one, you think you are dying, and second, you leave the ER with a 700 dollar bill and another bill of clean health.

yeah I get something like this every once in a while, and I am also very young(22). but I don't think it is that big of a deal, only if they happen all of the time or something, but its still something to watch out for I think. Don't know, havn't had a doctor checkup in a LONG time(several years).

dunno my heart rate. last time i saw the doctor about a month ago, he said everything was normal.

im thinking of downing it to two doses of 2.5 mg a day instead of two of 5 mg.

i dont want to quit cold turkey because it causes crazy ass side effects that i dont have time to dealwith at this point

Guest placidburp

it sounds like it's just a heart palpitation dude, nothing serious.

i used to get them when i drank a lot of coffee, so i cut down.

indeed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palpitation

I've not had any for years, but last time I did, I felt I was going to die too. Scary as fuck and lasted a whole day and happened like every time I moved. They aren't painful but just so not normal that it freaks you out.

The thing I suffer from nowadays is sleep apnea. I don't think I've had a rested sleep in years. FML

what the fuck

that actually sounds quite fucked

see a non-watmm person about it

i think at least two of my posts state that i have visited both the emergency room and my primary physician.

this is a thread to share similar experiences.

Guest countchocula

While mesh gear is right that the odd palpitation here and there isn't dangerous per se it is still the scariest thing ever on par with an anxiety attack. Actually when I have had anxiety attacks I thought I was going to die because my heart was acting funny so they are the same thing almost. I have two friends who have been diagnosed with abnormal heart beat and for one of them they even had him on a heart monitor for a while. Scary business.

Shit can be effin' scary for sure - I think it's doubly bad when it happens and you freak out about it, which just makes it WORSE which just makes you freak out about it which makes it WORSE . . . oh yeah, the positive feedback loop of panic.

I've had a somewhat irregular heartbeat for years - wasn't nearly as bad when I was exercising, not smoking, not drinking caffeine, etc., but even then still would do this thing where it would beat really fast, and then luuuuurch over a beat and then beat really fast. Worst time ever was coming down off of some dirty X - really pronounced plus all the mental fuckery that goes on in the waning hours of the evening made me think I was going to die.

Lesson here? If you can identify things that make it happen, you have to choose between putting the work in to make a life change or dealing with the fact that you'll probably continue to have these episodes from time to time. Either way, trying to breathe and stay as calm as possible is a huge help in those situations - though it certainly seems counter-intuitive at the time.

edit: and I forgot to say, Good Luck and hope you feel better! :smile:

yeah man it scares the fuck outta me. I think last semester at uni I fucked myself up too hard with caffeine and assorted craziness untill about 8am in the morning for the exam weeks - thought I was gonna die

....still do :blink:

I used to do that a couple years back for my last semesters in college. Two energy drinks around 10pm then 3am, coffee around 7am, then went to class with the paper I'd been working on.

My only abnormal heart experience was having a really low rate heart as a teen, it'd be 50ish resting and down to 30 when I slept. Caused me to pass out a couple times (I'm prone to dehydrate quickly too). I think its normal now but I haven't had a check-up in awhile.

As for the palpitations, ease off the caffiene but no need to cut it out. Just also try to be aware of what you might be doing that could trigger it I guess, it could happend for so many reason. Best of luck (and health).

My only abnormal heart experience was having a really low rate heart as a teen, it'd be 50ish resting and down to 30 when I slept. Caused me to pass out a couple times (I'm prone to dehydrate quickly too). I think its normal now but I haven't had a check-up in awhile.

Damn dude! 30 BPM!!!??? Buddhist Monks spend years trying to do that.

Yeah, it was fucking weird to hear that. It's not unusual for cyclists and other uber-fit folks to have a resting BPM of 30 but I'm just an average dude. Doctors had me wear a heart monitor overnight when they checked into it. I was in an REM sleep when it went that low, so I was probably on my way to astral projection for all I know.

Yeah, it was fucking weird to hear that. It's not unusual for cyclists and other uber-fit folks to have a resting BPM of 30 but I'm just an average dude. Doctors had me wear a heart monitor overnight when they checked into it. I was in an REM sleep when it went that low, so I was probably on my way to astral projection for all I know.

I used to drink shit loads of coffee and consume loads of sugary produce and I swear I didn't so much have a heart beat as a heart amen break. It's bloody awful, a lot better now though since I slowed with the ol sugar and caffiene.

lol Yeah man, you and Carlos Castaneda could get together and palaver.

Guest countchocula

My heart beat was the most messed up when I worked the overnight shift at a machine shop. I was replacing large amounts of sleep with large amounts of energy drinks and cigarettes. Replacing sleeps with caffeine, sugar, ginseng, and nicotine is never a good idea.

i used to get these a lot when i'd take like 80 - 100mg adderall. i'd feel my pulse and it'd be going and then... nothing... and then boomboomabooma... booma.... boooma?........... booomaboomaboomabooma...... i'd be like WTF!!! so i'd try to figure out my heartrate by counting and pulling up the little windows clock, and lo and behold, the second hand on the clock behaved the same way... it'd tick... then pause... then two or three quick ticks... etc. lol.

no but also i know the palpitation, the fluttering feeling you get. it's awful. i dont get that anymore because i dont use any stimulants, including caffeine.

CaffeineCat.jpg

seriously? are you a 45 year old single female cubicle worker?

Archived