IGNORED

Untilted

thehauntingsoul

well one thing that is ambiguous is the second number in the time sig because generally Ae overlays multiple layers with different time sigs so its hard to really pinpoint exactly what the sig is. For example, if we are assuming one of the tracks is in 4/4, we don't always know that its 4/4 and because of that it could just as easily be 2/4, 4/6, 8/4, 8/2, who knows, you could theoretically count them all out without it sounding off.

The middle of the trees definitely repeats every 6 beats though but not sure how many bars per measure

edit: it sounds like maybe you have a better grasp on time sigs than me though so I will continue investigating this.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone on here (I forget who) once said that listening to Augmatic Disport is like watching a window shatter in reverse. It begins with such chaos but then elements drop out and are simplified over time, shards coalescing into the cohesive beat towards the end. I've enjoyed the song so much more ever since then, once I could attribute some sort of overarching structure to the chaos. Such a wonderful track

Currently having a laugh at this review:

http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/a/autechre-untitled.shtml

"Autechre, however, are unique among almost all music of any kind in that they strive to eliminate all elements of human emotion, indeed, all elements of human presence, from their work."

"There is no discernable difference between the music on this disc and the music on 2003's Draft 7.30"

Other than some silly claims though not a bad review, he actually liked it

ALSO HOLY SHIT I was listening to Ipacial Selection and JUST noticed that there are voices or someone speaking under the beat at around 7:40. Turn it up and listen closely. Anyone else hear this, has anyone brought it up or have a clue as to what it could be? It creeeeped me out when I first heard it, was very unexpected

Guest ataraxy2

A very solidly thought out sonic backdrop and atmosphere mixed with meticulously programmed beats and a good serving of glitchyness and absurdity to give it some flavor. If you don't like the album, you probably just need to hear it a few times because it's definitely the easiest Ae album to groove to, and has the most solid consistent beats since Tri Rep.

Correct! Well said, sir. The element Fermium is far more logical than my ranting, I wonder if that's the case also.

Just wanted to share some of my thoughts on Untilted. First and foremost, this is my favourite release from them. Out of all their albums, I regard this as their most consistent record they have made to date - in other words, each track is excellent.

When I first heard the start of LCC, I thought to myself, is this really ae? When it gradually progresses further on, you see the amount of changes with the beat prior to the climatic chords near the end. There's nothing I don't like about this track.. it's as if ae have captured a "live track" arrangement (hard to explain fully what I mean, it has a very live feel to it and we have heard LCC played in their live sets many times). I'd even go as far as saying this would be accessible to a lot of new listeners. The atmosphere given off near to the end is great. I've heard some say that the simple yet elegant melody which comes in at around 3.49 is cheesy. I disagree.. yes it is simple but why does everything have to sound complicated in their music? This is why I have said this is so accessible to people, I don't particularly see it as a complex track. This is the best opening to an ae record in my opinion. It certainly sets the scene for the rest of the musical styles in the other tracks on Untilted.

Ipacial Section is immense.. I'd love to know how they sequenced this. It still carries on with the theme of simplistic melodies taking after LCC at around 3.40 of Ipacial Section. 2.41 + 2.49 + 2.57 + 3.04 + 3.12 + 3.20 where the beat is constantly toppling over itself is a great technique in the track. When the track reaches 5.00 it's such a big transition - very surprising to me upon my first listen, but taking a step back from the chaos in the first half of Ipacial Section was much needed I think. Not my favourite tune from this album but definitely in top 10 best ae overall for me.

Pro Radii is probably no. 1 best ae track of mine. I won't rant about how good it is for too long, it could become a huge paragraph.. but the main reason why I like it so much is that it never ceases to amaze me, even if I have listened to it 10 times in the space of a few hours.. I still find myself going back to it and amusing myself with it. The subtle characteristics you hear in the background among the field recording and hollow beats are very well placed. The beat at around 2.10 is a really good transition from the opening section of the track. The atmosphere holds up so well and it's very consistent throughout the track - dark and especially emotive when it reaches the end and the chords are introduced in all their glory. I also like the fact that there are so many techniques used in Pro Radii (as most ae listeners would easily pick up on)- it's a varied track for sure as far as structure is concerned - it doesn't stick to a particular set of musical rules as with most ae tunes. Best part of Pro Radii is at 5.49 - can anyone hear what I am describing, it's that distinctive sound at the end of each measure of beats.. almost like a "hissing" noise - I love it.

I get the sense that Sean and Rob are proud of Pro Radii as it has been heavily featured in a few of their live sets.

Augmatic Disport most notably uses a recycled version of the beats from LCC - which I liked already. It completely destroys you. Many twists and turns with the track, obviously needed to keep the interest of the listener going as there is not too much to focus on at around the first half of the track other than the beats becoming fucked and manipulated around the place. The best element of the track for me has to be when those dark chords (?) are introduced, scattered over the beats but still remaining hidden in the background of the chaos erupting. You start to hear them more clearly at around 4.50 and it sort of turns itself into a simple melodic section. It works so well with the beats. Very percussion oriented - I wouldn't listen to it unless I was in the mood for a bit of mayhem but nonetheless I think it works very well on Untilted.

The snappy beats in Iera are what most attracts me to this tune on the album. Everything being laid over the top results in a very dark atmosphere - almost reminiscent of Confield. They kept this track at the right length, I don't think I could imagine the same elements going on for around 8 or 9 minutes unless some kind of transition occurred into another section of the track. An amazing climax at around 3.40. Unlike most of the other tracks on this record, the climatic arrangement does not adopt a particular chord structure or melody.. it's the beats and acidline which empowers the track even further towards the end.

Although many can't stand Fermium, I have always enjoyed listening to it. The sounds they use on this track, I think, are incredible. Very good build up to the beat massacre which is introduced at around 2.30. There's loads of little high pitched tones spread throughout Fermium in the background - quite a few details to listen out for especially when the beat becomes stretched. Brilliant ending as things become fuzzed out over the lengthy synthetic tone.

I have to be honest, The Trees took a while to grow on me. I can't quite pinpoint why that is. I suppose there's a lot of activity going on throughout the life of the track. I like how they've kept that almost acid-type element from Iera and it applied it very well to the opening of the tune. It's the ending which I most enjoy, it would have been better I think if they turned the PLC melody up in the overall mix of the track - to me it's a little too quiet amongst everything else but as we all know, everything arranged has been done on purpose with intention so that's a bit of a useless comment of mine.

Sublimit is an awesome package of tricks and twists. In relation to my comments on the beats in LCC, Sublimit would fit in very well in an ae live set. So many amazing transitions going on with the percussion in this track. Definitely a stand out on this record.

Really looking forward to the Quaristice thread. It will certainly make for an interesting read with all the mixed comments/views people have on it on watmm.

Awesome review Bread!

Best part of Pro Radii is at 5.49 - can anyone hear what I am describing, it's that distinctive sound at the end of each measure of beats.. almost like a "hissing" noise - I love it.

Are you talking about that noise that sounds like a dude yelling but timestretched?

Awesome review Bread!

Best part of Pro Radii is at 5.49 - can anyone hear what I am describing, it's that distinctive sound at the end of each measure of beats.. almost like a "hissing" noise - I love it.

Are you talking about that noise that sounds like a dude yelling but timestretched?

Thanks

I know the sound you're describing but it's not the one I am referring to.. the one you're describing also plays during 6.27 with the chords in the background.

The sound I'm referring to is loud in the mix, between 5.53 - 5.55 then 5.57 - 6.00 then 6.03 to 6.06 --------- it's continuous and I'd describe it as sort of like erm, I really don't know how to describe it.. I'd still stick with the word "hissing" - like a whisper. It re-nters itself in the track at 7.02 onwards.. do you know which sound I mean?

I was listening to Ipacial Selection and JUST noticed that there are voices or someone speaking under the beat at around 7:40 and just after. Turn it up and listen closely. Anyone else hear this, has anyone brought it up or have a clue as to what it could be? It creeeeped me out when I first heard it, was very unexpected

Anyone have any comment on this? Sure it's inconsequential, but hopefully someone else can tell me they hear it to so I know I'm not going crazy.

Just wanted to share some of my thoughts on Untilted. First and foremost, this is my favourite release from them. Out of all their albums, I regard this as their most consistent record they have made to date - in other words, each track is excellent.

When I first heard the start of LCC, I thought to myself, is this really ae? When it gradually progresses further on, you see the amount of changes with the beat prior to the climatic chords near the end. There's nothing I don't like about this track.. it's as if ae have captured a "live track" arrangement (hard to explain fully what I mean, it has a very live feel to it and we have heard LCC played in their live sets many times). I'd even go as far as saying this would be accessible to a lot of new listeners. The atmosphere given off near to the end is great. I've heard some say that the simple yet elegant melody which comes in at around 3.49 is cheesy. I disagree.. yes it is simple but why does everything have to sound complicated in their music? This is why I have said this is so accessible to people, I don't particularly see it as a complex track. This is the best opening to an ae record in my opinion. It certainly sets the scene for the rest of the musical styles in the other tracks on Untilted.

Ipacial Section is immense.. I'd love to know how they sequenced this. It still carries on with the theme of simplistic melodies taking after LCC at around 3.40 of Ipacial Section. 2.41 + 2.49 + 2.57 + 3.04 + 3.12 + 3.20 where the beat is constantly toppling over itself is a great technique in the track. When the track reaches 5.00 it's such a big transition - very surprising to me upon my first listen, but taking a step back from the chaos in the first half of Ipacial Section was much needed I think. Not my favourite tune from this album but definitely in top 10 best ae overall for me.

Pro Radii is probably no. 1 best ae track of mine. I won't rant about how good it is for too long, it could become a huge paragraph.. but the main reason why I like it so much is that it never ceases to amaze me, even if I have listened to it 10 times in the space of a few hours.. I still find myself going back to it and amusing myself with it. The subtle characteristics you hear in the background among the field recording and hollow beats are very well placed. The beat at around 2.10 is a really good transition from the opening section of the track. The atmosphere holds up so well and it's very consistent throughout the track - dark and especially emotive when it reaches the end and the chords are introduced in all their glory. I also like the fact that there are so many techniques used in Pro Radii (as most ae listeners would easily pick up on)- it's a varied track for sure as far as structure is concerned - it doesn't stick to a particular set of musical rules as with most ae tunes. Best part of Pro Radii is at 5.49 - can anyone hear what I am describing, it's that distinctive sound at the end of each measure of beats.. almost like a "hissing" noise - I love it.

I get the sense that Sean and Rob are proud of Pro Radii as it has been heavily featured in a few of their live sets.

Augmatic Disport most notably uses a recycled version of the beats from LCC - which I liked already. It completely destroys you. Many twists and turns with the track, obviously needed to keep the interest of the listener going as there is not too much to focus on at around the first half of the track other than the beats becoming fucked and manipulated around the place. The best element of the track for me has to be when those dark chords (?) are introduced, scattered over the beats but still remaining hidden in the background of the chaos erupting. You start to hear them more clearly at around 4.50 and it sort of turns itself into a simple melodic section. It works so well with the beats. Very percussion oriented - I wouldn't listen to it unless I was in the mood for a bit of mayhem but nonetheless I think it works very well on Untilted.

The snappy beats in Iera are what most attracts me to this tune on the album. Everything being laid over the top results in a very dark atmosphere - almost reminiscent of Confield. They kept this track at the right length, I don't think I could imagine the same elements going on for around 8 or 9 minutes unless some kind of transition occurred into another section of the track. An amazing climax at around 3.40. Unlike most of the other tracks on this record, the climatic arrangement does not adopt a particular chord structure or melody.. it's the beats and acidline which empowers the track even further towards the end.

Although many can't stand Fermium, I have always enjoyed listening to it. The sounds they use on this track, I think, are incredible. Very good build up to the beat massacre which is introduced at around 2.30. There's loads of little high pitched tones spread throughout Fermium in the background - quite a few details to listen out for especially when the beat becomes stretched. Brilliant ending as things become fuzzed out over the lengthy synthetic tone.

I have to be honest, The Trees took a while to grow on me. I can't quite pinpoint why that is. I suppose there's a lot of activity going on throughout the life of the track. I like how they've kept that almost acid-type element from Iera and it applied it very well to the opening of the tune. It's the ending which I most enjoy, it would have been better I think if they turned the PLC melody up in the overall mix of the track - to me it's a little too quiet amongst everything else but as we all know, everything arranged has been done on purpose with intention so that's a bit of a useless comment of mine.

Sublimit is an awesome package of tricks and twists. In relation to my comments on the beats in LCC, Sublimit would fit in very well in an ae live set. So many amazing transitions going on with the percussion in this track. Definitely a stand out on this record.

Really looking forward to the Quaristice thread. It will certainly make for an interesting read with all the mixed comments/views people have on it on watmm.

I think we have a similar take on AE Bread. Untilted is what made me fall in love with AE, and Pro Radii is my favourite track for pretty much the same reasons. Although the Trees is what nailed me, awesome awesome, fucking awesome tune.

I was listening to Ipacial Selection and JUST noticed that there are voices or someone speaking under the beat at around 7:40 and just after. Turn it up and listen closely. Anyone else hear this, has anyone brought it up or have a clue as to what it could be? It creeeeped me out when I first heard it, was very unexpected

Anyone have any comment on this? Sure it's inconsequential, but hopefully someone else can tell me they hear it to so I know I'm not going crazy.

Yeah its certainly there but I think you would have to be some sort of astro-physicist to decypher what it is

• 1 month later...

I gotta ask what all of you think about Autechre eras at this point. I know every album is a new exploration but do you ever see things as easier to bunch together than others? I feel like Untilted and Quaristice might have more in common than, say, Untilted and Draft.

There's so much of the untilted live set in quaristice that they are sort of the same project for me. No?

well, they were all about playing live, which is why they did quaristice the way they did. their live stuff was implemented for untilted songs and undoubtedly they used some of the same techniques composing untilted as the rest of their set, even if the album was 100% sequenced. the progression of untilted->untilted sets->quaristice is really interesting. quaristice has a lot of the feel of the live set, but it's as if it's all drawn out. the sets are pretty much static bpm, the songs smoothly flowing into one another, never a dull moment, shit's always hoppin'.

then on quaristice it's like they're moved on from dancing and hanging out, now they are back to living. shit is muddy, sometimes intensely happy (bnc castl), creepy as shit (lots of them), hopeful (altibzz), aggressive monotony (tkakanren), apathetic, etc etc. quari is clearly their most dynamic album, but i feel it could have been better with more untilted live bits and beats.

that said, mesh gear fox is wrong in his assertion that confield/draft are 'perfect' or ae's musical climax and i rule objectively that the climax is yet to come. sean is going to kick the shit out of the machinedrum and make it sound as fresh as 2008, inspiring a new crowd of musicians to push the boundaries.

i love this kind of positive thinking! i for one don't think they will ever peak if they keep going in different directions. they may peak for individual's personal taste's but maybe not as artists. with untilted and quaristice and both live sets, it does seem they may be coming back to earth a bit. as good as draft and confield are, i can enjoy quari and untilted on a much more frequent basis since i dont have to think as hard when i listen. i can if i want to but dont necessarily have to. does that make sense?

i love this kind of positive thinking! i for one don't think they will ever peak if they keep going in different directions. they may peak for individual's personal taste's but maybe not as artists. with untilted and quaristice and both live sets, it does seem they may be coming back to earth a bit. as good as draft and confield are, i can enjoy quari and untilted on a much more frequent basis since i dont have to think as hard when i listen. i can if i want to but dont necessarily have to. does that make sense?

Yes, I dig this line of thinking. I've always found it impossible to pick an Ae album to say is my all time favorite because they are all very masterful in their own respects. I think one of the things that makes Autechre so awesome is that they don't continue going down the same road for long, which effectively makes comparing their albums like comparing apples to oranges.

Unless they sell out, I highly doubt the quality of their musical output will change whatsoever.

And on the topic of them selling out, I'm really glad they haven't done this because they could most certainly create a chart-topping dance album if they wanted to go mainstream. The fact that they haven't done this yet would suggest they won't ever stoop to that level.

i wouldn't mind if they did that as long as it wasn't called autechre.

gotta pay the bills. for all we know they've already done this just not on their names.

my obsession with lcc has reached an unhealthy status

Oh man, you should hear this alternate mix of LCC I found. Here's a sample:

I was really hoping that would be the LCC somebody put up a while back with cowbells. That was a fucking lol!

what else is different about that than the crescendoing glitches?

yea, whats the deal? its more like a tiny thing added. not a remix.

yes indeed, but a tiny little addition that my neurotically obsessive self does not possess as of yet

• 6 months later...

my obsession with lcc has reached an unhealthy status

Oh man, you should hear this alternate mix of LCC I found. Here's a sample:

I was really hoping that would be the LCC somebody put up a while back with cowbells. That was a fucking lol!

where is the lcc cowbell mix? id love to hear that!

Archived