Monomachine User Appreciation

futureimage

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chesney

Don't bother.

Turn it on and tweak.

Seriously though, once you get how to load machines and the file system it's best to delete all patterns and preset kits and start from scratch.

that's what i did w/my md before i even did a full boot. gawd i hope mine gets here before i leave to go out of town on the 30th. i've got my bag and top shell ready to pack it up with me so i can start jammin' on holiday

heh i'm reading it now, only on page 17. i've read machinedrum's manual but the monomachine is coming first.

m____u_st b_____e r________e__ad_____________________y

Guest Chesney

Read the manual eventually. It will open up the machine to you.

true, it can help with a few pointers.

the short quick start guide for the md was pretty useful jumping off point without getting bogged down in all of the ridiculous depth. hopefully the mono has something similar. no reason for me to start reading a manual for a piece of kit i don't have since i definitely won't retain anything until i'm actually turning knobs

Just read the parts on how to get to the various functions, and then use it for a reference if you can't figure out what something does/means. I gave the manual a read before I got it, but it didn't make much sense, and when I finally turned it on I couldn't even figure out how to select patterns until I re-read the sequencer section of the manual :P

Also have a look at this:

http://tarekith.com/assets/monomachine_tipsandtricks.htm

It has some great tips for cool sound design/sequencing. One thing I will say though, is that a lot of people on elektronauts will tell you to turn off keytracking on the filter. While this is a good idea for drum sound design and when not using the filter at all, I've found that using a good keytracked filter can really enhance the sound. To thicken up a sound I like to set the HPF width to 8, and increase the HPF resonance until it starts getting bassy. It's really good for fattening/warming up FM sounds and other sounds that get a bit thin due to the other synthesis settings.

Guest Chesney

HPF is invaluable for bass and kicks.

I still have not read the MnM manual but then I still have not dug that deep as I have been too busy. I wish I read bits of the manual about + drive on the MD before not saving and losing lots of work ha.

ohoho those tips collected by tarekith are fantastic. this is such a deep machine! thnx guyz!

p.s. i usually never read manuals but when i do i read them cover to cover, every single line, even those useless care instruction things like ''remove dust and dirt with a soft dry cloth'' or ''make sure that you place the unit on a stable surface before use'' :)

ohoho those tips collected by tarekith are fantastic. this is such a deep machine! thnx guyz!

p.s. i usually never read manuals but when i do i read them cover to cover, every single line, even those useless care instruction things like ''remove dust and dirt with a soft dry cloth'' or ''make sure that you place the unit on a stable surface before use'' :)

There's a point where reading the manual is quicker than fumbling around trying to do the simplest thing. Tip: hold Function then hold Copy to have the full list of copying possibilities (pattern, track, melody, etc.) and use the up/down arrow keys to choose while still holding Copy. Same for Paste.

Sounds dorky but I always thought the Monomachine manual was gorgeous, especially the charts of LFO and slide/trig behaviors. It probably did me more harm than good but I read years before I actually picked one up.

hey ppl! just to share some of my happiness with you...my monomachine arrived! :yeah: i haven't bought a mixer yet so i'm listening through headphones and cause i haven't read the manual i don't know what i'm doing :cat: but this thing sounds fantastic and looks gorgeous! all i'm doing so far it changing and rearranging the patters that came with the machine. i'm really surprised with the build quality; this thing really feels like a high-end synth and it looks a lot better in real life than on pics on the net. it's quite heavy too...

happy happy

the only thig that i don't like so far is the smell! really nasty_toxic_leukemia_inducing smell. i hope i'll go away soon cause i'm not a huge fan of leukemia

maybe that's the manufacturing issue they kept running into. did it have this label?

1453151337_full.jpeg

hopefully you're not in california

heh :) no such sign but we in croatia can still get cancers

p.s. what just happened, few minutes ago, is that i was browsing on the net, looking at my monitor for a half an hour and, i don't know why, i looked down on my table and i saw the monomachine and i was surprised for a 0.14 sec, i was like ''what?! i have the monomachine?!!'' and i was happy happy again :biggrin: ...i still am

i haven't bought a mixer yet so i'm listening through headphones

I actually prefer to use the monomachine solo.

that all i'll be doing for some time ;)

ha, nice. Get tweaking man!

yes, will do ;) ...but now i need to go to bed. do man-machines dream of monomachines?

guyz, sleep long and prosper :sleep:

hooray congrats! one of us.. one of us :D

i'm really surprised with the build quality; this thing really feels like a high-end synth and it looks a lot better in real life than on pics on the net. it's quite heavy too...

Yeah I was actually surprised that the keys are like oldskool computer keyboard keys rather than the kind with the rubbery contact underneath. Makes it feel more industrial and solid!

hooray congrats! one of us.. one of us :D

i'm really surprised with the build quality; this thing really feels like a high-end synth and it looks a lot better in real life than on pics on the net. it's quite heavy too...

Yeah I was actually surprised that the keys are like oldskool computer keyboard keys rather than the kind with the rubbery contact underneath. Makes it feel more industrial and solid!

yes, the keys are just the way they should be. no resistance but solid.

Awesome, congrats! My retailer gets their stock in July (assuming they actually get it). Trying to be optimistic!

so waiting with the fingers crossed continuous? july is near. hold on!

artwork%20zdzislaw%20beksinski%201421x21

It's looking bad. Suddenly MM disappeared from musiciansfriends website so I called. The guy wasn't sure what was happening... They have their order placed with Elektron but no incoming shipment info any more... But also the system flags canceled products and that hasn't happened. He said it looks bad, but to keep the order until july to see what happens. :(

Archived