IGNORED

Anyone else into trekking, scrambling etc?

Guest Conor74

I need to go on a hike soon! Haven't been since last September when I went to Mt. Rainier. Well I did go on a brief snowshoeing excursion in the winter, but were were only there like 2 hours, and it was in the trees, not very scenic.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest uptown devil

hiked to the top of mount bierstadt this past weekend. it's located in the front range of the rocky mountains in colorado. it's one of fifty four 14,000ft + mountains in colorado.

view of the peak from the trail (the one to the right):

bierstadtmountain.jpg

view from the trail:

bierstadttrail.jpg

my friend making his way up the summit:

bierstadtjacksummitL.jpg

view from the frontside of the summit:

bierstadtsummit.jpg

and again:

bierstadtsummit2S.jpg

view from the backside of the summit:

bierstadtlake.jpg

panorama of the frontside view:

bierstadtpan.jpg

cheesin' with the registry sign:

bierstadtme.jpg

I've been trekking/hiking/whatever a few times in Finland and once in Thailand. I'd like to do it more but never seem to have time or the weather is against the whole thing.

First time I was hiking was with my mates who were also first timers. We decided that an 80km trail would be a good start. I went with cheap ass gear, rubber boots for wet weather, running shoes for dry, cheapo tent, etc. We all had been through army service so we weren't completely new to staying overnight in forest but we learned a bit about hiking there.. My feet were fucked up for a couple of weeks afterwards.

Trekked all over the world. New Zealand, Australia, India, Nepal, Thailand, Tanzania, Botswana, Laos, Cornwall, Brecon Beacons (wales), Northern England, Southern England, Eastern Europe (Carpathian mountains) etc etc

Legend in my own lunchtime me :happy:

I laugh so much at the fucking tools dressed up with a grands worth of gear walking along the Thames path say from Windsor to Maidenhead. I am usually down the river in summer, hanging out having a beer or cycling to a pub and these fucking nerds come wandering by and I usually menace them with Oiiiii are you lost? The Himalayas are 9000 miles in that direction!!!

Fucking muppets on a day walk dressed for the Scottish Highlands or The Southern Alps of New Zealand. Lol

Edited by beerwolf

My gf and I are going to be in Portugal and Northern Spain for a couple of weeks soon. We're flying to Lisbon and returning from Bilbao, otherwise the trip is pretty much open so we'll be heading to whatever looks like a nice place. I'm not going to be carrying a lot of gear so I won't be having tent etc, but I could use some nice day trail suggestions in that area if anybody has any?

Though most likely we'll be just chilling with beer or wine and see some occasional attraction.

• 10 years later...
On 1/11/2010 at 8:20 PM, sidewinder said:

What's nice about the whole experience too is that you leave all your problems behind. You're so focused on what you're doing, enjoying the scenery, conversing with whoever you're hiking with, etc. it's just a very liberating experience.

This. 

We will be visiting Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland in a couple of weeks to do some hiking, looking forward to it  

Wow, back from the dead with that quote. Interesting that I haven't done a lot of hiking at all the last 5 years, miss it. I'm heading out on a road trip for about a week, Oregon and Northern California. Mostly planning to do some scenic drives and some time at the beach, really should think about some actual hikes. I'll be alone so I can do what I want. And the quote really reminds me of what I need from this trip - to leave all my problems behind and find some liberation.