IGNORED

Gaga uses hoovers

BoomTssPhace

Guest Adjective

What's a hoover? (besides the obvious thought of a brand of vacuum cleaner, but I didn't see one in the video)

Probably don't know how to use the 3 Seashells either...

Joyrex a "hoover" refers to a song element that borrows from a sea shanty. The hoover nickname is probably a reference to Hoovervilles, which of course were nicknames of shanty towns of the Great Depression, named after US president Herbert Hoover. I'm not sure which sea shanty this song borrows from, but I'd would be interested to know, Rambo? help me out

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"hoover" is a characteristic multi-osc detuned sound, usually in form of a pad or a stab. it is typically produced with an alpha-series Roland Juno synthesizer. other analogue Junos can be also used.

edit: IMHO!!!

What's a hoover? (besides the obvious thought of a brand of vacuum cleaner, but I didn't see one in the video)

Probably don't know how to use the 3 Seashells either...

Joyrex a "hoover" refers to a song element that borrows from a sea shanty. The hoover nickname is probably a reference to Hoovervilles, which of course were nicknames of shanty towns of the Great Depression, named after US president Herbert Hoover. I'm not sure which sea shanty this song borrows from, but I'd would be interested to know, Rambo? help me out

"hoover" is a characteristic multi-osc detuned sound, usually in form of a pad or a stab. it is typically produced with an alpha-series Roland Juno synthesizer. other analogue Junos can be also used.

edit: IMHO!!!

Wow, that's pretty interesting - thanks guys!

Guest Glass Plate

You know hoover has a wiki entry and I feel like there's been a lot of threads about hoovers in EKT, so less general hoover discussion and more gaga dissing aka end of thread because it's unanimous that this forum doesn't like her?

Guest MaxChewie

late post, but fuck! how is it that pop music can get away with doing things in music that were common 10 years ago in club/underground music? BTW that track is absolutely garbage.

Because the MTV generation isn't aware of that, just ask Madonna:

http://www.ishkur.com/articles/madonna.php

1990: Madonna looks at the underground New York gay fashion scene, full of style, excess, posture, and that lovely Italo House with those piano hooks. She rips off the scene and releases Vogue.

1992: Madonna focuses her sights on the emerging club kink/fetish scene, exploits it, and churns out Erotica. (and releases a raunchy book too, perfect for the art-house crowd).

1998: Madonna sees the growing fascination with trance explode everywhere, seeks to exploit it, hires William Orbit to be her Producer, and the end result is Ray of Light.

2000: French house is king in the club circuit, Madonna notices this too, seeks some funky french filter beats on her next album, which becomes Music. The real genius behind this album? Mirwais.

2005: Now electro-house rules the dancefloors. Naturally, Madonna wants to co-opt this and pretend it's something she invented too. So Confessions on a Dancefloor has got the neo-synthpop sound through and through. The smartest thing she did was hire Les Rhythmes Digitales (aka Jacques lu Cont, aka thin White Duke, aka Stuart Price) to be the mastermind of it. While the pop world will commend her genius and vision, those of us in the underground know better.

For all her staying power, Madonna is really only good at one thing: Surrounding herself with the best people she can find. She is a clever businessperson, a scenester, a poser, and a fronter all in one. But not really a musician. She's good at what she does, but she's really only a hollow faceplate--a shallow shell of what's actually there.

late post, but fuck! how is it that pop music can get away with doing things in music that were common 10 years ago in club/underground music? BTW that track is absolutely garbage.

that's how it works..

like the sample, "take any sort of artform, water it down to their mentality, and produce it with a hard beat."

that's mainstream for ya.. no good.

Archived