IGNORED

Civilization

Guest Gary C

I love these games so much. I've only played 1, 2 and 3. I thought that 3 was by far the best presented and most addictive, but I have fond memories of 1.

Civ01.png

I've pirated 3 a handful of times over the past 10 years, usually whenever I get a new laptop or hard-drive, and have devoted countless hours to dominating the world. I've had friends who've played imitation copies (Rome: Total War et al) and I've always managed to turn them onto Civ3. It's probably the best game I've ever played.

CivIII_01.png

But I need something new... and I'm considering Civilization Revolution for the 360. I was put off when it was first released because of the cartoony Sims graphics and I feared that they would have butchered out the most finicky and enjoyable parts of what I loved. But how can they really fuck it up? They'd want to keep the original fans, right? And the graphics must be something I'll become accustomed to once I'm invading foreign nations in order to obtain important minerals and spices.

Civrev360.jpg

So has anyone played Revolutions? GameTrailers gave it an 8.4 overall.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't bother with revolutions. it's heavily watered down.

get civ4. it is pretty much like civ3 but with prettier graphics and a slightly different combat system (you get to upgrade troops as they level, i don't think civ3 had that). there's probably some other minor changes that i don't remember.

i love these kinds of games. Is this the same as populous?

Almost.

I remember playing Populous on Amiga, and I had something similar which was set in WWI, but Civ became so much more to me probably because it was run through Windows and I could do other things during waiting periods.

Yeah, Civ IV does look fantastic and far more of what I want. The same outlook as III, but with a few nice little touches that make the game easier for the fans, not more accessible for everyone else.

I think I was originally put off of IV because I only have this rather shitty laptop and am unsure as to how it'll run, but I might find a demo and have a try.

Also, I just read that there'll be a Civilization Network game released on Facebook this year.

Hello Civ Fans!

I wanted to let you know we’ll soon be looking for beta testers to help us develop a unique new way to play Civilization. Ever since we finished Civilization® Revolution™ last year, I’ve been looking at ways of expanding the Civ gameplay experience to include solo, competitive and cooperative play to take advantage of the uniqueness of social networks. We’re calling this project Civilization® Network™ and the full game will be available next year on Facebook. Civilization Network will allow you to join together with your friends to create the world’s most powerful, richest, smartest, or just plain coolest civilization. You can coordinate your strategy to win great battles, share your technology to jump ahead of your rivals, lobby your family and friends to form your own government and win vital elections, manage and grow your cities to maximize production and happiness, spy on your enemies, and work with your friends to create the great Wonders of the World. The game will offer everything you enjoy in Civ in a fully persistent environment - you can play as much as you like, whenever you like, and it’ll be free to play.

I'll probably play that too, although it'll most likely look like Revolutions.

i need to try my hand at this, heard about it forever but never seemed to get around to it.

for the past few years though ive had an obsession with Paradox Interactive games, really intense micromanagement, and can either be boring as hell or the most complex and fulfilling strategy game you have ever played depending on your personality.

Hearts of Iron 2:

7717805785e6ff4467eec5bb1ab2612c.jpg.jpg

151447_full.jpg

No. It's a turn based strategy game in which you build an empire by developing cities and conquering or cooperating with other civilizations. It's deeeep.

I too have spend a lot of time on these games. It's immensily satisfying to plan the expansion of your empire and overcoming all kinds of obstacles. Whenever I start a Civ game, the rest of my day is wasted. My fondest memories are also of Civ3, which was absolutely brilliant. The visuals and sounds were just beautiful. Civ4 is great too, much deeper in a lot of ways. Too bad it looks like a cartoon.

And now this thread is making me install it again. But I really shouldn't.

EDIT: Don't buy Revolutions. It's shit.

civ2 (with upgrades) all the way...

..yes i used to spend hours and hours with games like these,

even populous (I & II), megalomania.. settlers,, empire .. im sure there were others

civ4 with the warlords&BTS exp packs is brilliant, the best in the series i reckon

galciv2 is lots of fun also..

(edit: galciv2 is much lighter on the computer than civ4, should run OK)

GalacticCivilizationsIIColony.png

I really liked the castle upgrade thing in Civ1 when I was a kid. I only got to play it a few times at a summer camp, my computer at home was too old. Civ 3 was too hard. Civ 4 was good.

Get a copy of Alpha Centauri, it's the best thing Sid Meier ever made. It's Civ set in the future, with a really cool back story. Leonard Nimoy even narrates it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Alpha_Centauri

Qo7S2.jpg

i love these kinds of games. Is this the same as populous?

I'd say it's pretty different to populous (well I'm not sure about populous 3, I played a demo a few years back and I had no idea what I was doing). I'd love a proper remake of Populous I or II. It was such a simple game of just flattening land and shitting spells over the enemies but I loved it, it was like the game equivalent of popping bubble wrap - requiring no brain work but ultimately compulsive and satisfying.

i need to try my hand at this, heard about it forever but never seemed to get around to it.

for the past few years though ive had an obsession with Paradox Interactive games, really intense micromanagement, and can either be boring as hell or the most complex and fulfilling strategy game you have ever played depending on your personality.

Hearts of Iron 2:

ahh, europa universalis iii is one of my favorite games ever. paradox is great. i've noticed that they made the sequel to majesty... i'm gonna have to check that one out.

SOASE is great but not really comparable, it lacks depth, it's really more of a RTS and less of 4X.. besides it won't run on gary's rig. damn good game though.

ROTK is probably the most boring yawnfest of anything i can ever remember, it takes fucking forever to do anything....last time I played one I think it was up to no. 7 or something, spent all the time training my character rather than war on other kingdoms...ugh

Archived