IGNORED

chinese hot pot

keltoi

i went to a chinese hotpot place for the first time on saturday.

79074626_c32108abcd.jpg

i was pretty disappointed after my friend's hearty recommendation... the whole place stank of raw fish, condensation was dripping on us and into our food from the ceiling and i'm not too cool with using the same chop sticks to handle raw fish, meat, chicken and then cooked fish, meat, chicken. i asked for another pair and got laughed at. all those frozen, cheap, fatty slices of meat, spam and tofu. actually apart from the king prawns the spam was the tastiest thing there.

everything ends up tasting the same with the same soup and sauce combos. i left feeling hungry and slightly grossed out.

i prefer to have a variety of amazing cooked dishes brought to the table to share.

I hate hot pot too, esp.when there's seafod because it always fucks up the broth.

exactly. everything tasted the same after a couple of rounds.

and imo boiling isn't the best way to cook seafood anyway (or anything else for that matter) .

Guest Glass Plate

it's weird that most chinese places are independent shops. there's no mcdonalds of chinese food.

Well there's the growing in size Panda Express, and Manchu Wok for corporate americanized chinese chains. There's the Lee's Sandwiches which is a great Vietnamese chain, and other chains like Sarku Japan for other asian cuisines that exist in the franchise/chain form. So maybe not quite a "McDonalds" due to the fact none of them are nearly quite as huge, but there are modified versions of asian foods that have been placed in the same structure.

why would you want to eat at an "asian food" chain though? Utterly shit food. At least with mcdonalds I have no expectations of it actually being good.

Anyways, that hotpot, how could it taste bad man, look at the bowl, it's shaped like a yin-yang. That's so asian!

it's weird that most chinese places are independent shops. there's no mcdonalds of chinese food.

Well there's the growing in size Panda Express, and Manchu Wok for corporate americanized chinese chains. There's the Lee's Sandwiches which is a great Vietnamese chain, and other chains like Sarku Japan for other asian cuisines that exist in the franchise/chain form. So maybe not quite a "McDonalds" due to the fact none of them are nearly quite as huge, but there are modified versions of asian foods that have been placed in the same structure.

Don't forget General Joe's Chopstix (their spelling)

Guest Glass Plate

why would you want to eat at an "asian food" chain though? Utterly shit food. At least with mcdonalds I have no expectations of it actually being good.

Ask Chaosmachine, I was simply answering his pondering.

why would you want to eat at an "asian food" chain though? Utterly shit food.

Sarku is delicious and so is Lee's!

But really only certain dishes can translate into fast food well.

The very first Manchu Wok was located in my home town :)

Random fact: Taco Bell is actually named after the founder, Glen Bell.

why would you want to eat at an "asian food" chain though? Utterly shit food.

Sarku is delicious and so is Lee's!

But really only certain dishes can translate into fast food well.

dumplings! (done right dumplings are amazing fast food)

Ask Chaosmachine, I was simply answering his pondering.

rhetorical question...:)

The very first Manchu Wok was located in my home town :)

Random fact: Taco Bell is actually named after the founder, Glen Bell.

who just died.

I was really hoping for a Taco Johnson

Archived