IGNORED

2010 Winter Olympics

chaosmachine

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have to disagree with you there man, a lot of people like to hype up the 'problems' in vancouver and all the riots and stuff but provincially BC is doing fine, they had to makebudget cuts due to the economy, the olympics were planned far in advance before the economic recession, and a lot of stuff about homelessness gets hyped up in the media because it's one of the few places in canada that the homeless can survive year round so there are a lot more of them there

also major LOL at 'white man olympics'

yeah i suppose that's probably true. i've got plenty of love for canada, just thought it'd be a shame if things got worst. the grounds are beautiful (though apparently temperature has been a problem?).

Guest uptowndevil

anyone else find the judging for the men's halfpipe a bit questionable? obviously Shawn White was going to win, but giving Peetu Piiroinen a 45 for his second run? i was also pretty pretty disappointed in their scoring of both Louie Vito's runs.

Guest Adjective

anyone else find the judging for the men's halfpipe a bit questionable? obviously Shawn White was going to win, but giving Peetu Piiroinen a 45 for his second run? i was also pretty pretty disappointed in their scoring of both Louie Vito's runs.

yeah some of the scores seemed odd, but then i'm not that familiar with the sport to judge difficulty.

i was a little surprised to see some of them putting a cellphone in their pocket before dropping down the pipe, or maybe they were ipods?

the russia-slovakia game was great. stupid of the russians to keep putting ovechkin on the shootout, they have a whole bench of really skilled guys. well deserved win for slovakia. marian hossa was a beast and vishnovsky was great on the blue line. chara was pretty bad. sick shootout goal by demitra to win it.

good to see some slight upsets already, with the swiss getting a point out of canada.

good to see some slight upsets already, with the swiss getting a point out of canada.

actually canada won in the shootout with the final score 3-2. the game coming up with usa vs. canada is going to be craaaazy

actually canada won in the shootout with the final score 3-2. the game coming up with usa vs. canada is going to be craaaazy

i know canada won, they still lost a point, they got 2 and swiss 1, while a regulation win would have given 3 points. a much smarter system, where regulation wins are more worth than OT/SO wins, unlike the stupid system in the NHL.

i know canada won, they still lost a point, they got 2 and swiss 1, while a regulation win would have given 3 points. a much smarter system, where regulation wins are more worth than OT/SO wins, unlike the stupid system in the NHL.

interesting, i didn't know that.

is there anyone on watmm from vancouver? it seems like i'm the only person i know in toronto who is actually enthusiastic about the olympics or actually cares about canadian athletes, kind of sad really

I live in Vancouver, and I don't give a shit about the winter olympics. All they do here is fuck up my commute to UBC (since that's the venue for the hockey).

womens hockey

i don't give a fuck about the olympics, just hockey, and hockey only because i like hockey. can't believe the slovakia upset. but the swiss played a hell of a game, they earned the fuck out of that point. their penalty kill was impeccable. sad that canada had to give up a point, but they were a worthy adversary. still hoping for canada/russia final but right now who the fuck knows what'll happen.

fuck the fucking olympics. fucking nazi games.

No Olympics on Stolen Land

BC remains largely unceded and non-surrendered Indigenous territories. According to Canadian law, BC has neither the legal nor moral right to exist, let alone claim land and govern over Native peoples. Despite this, and a fraudulent treaty process now underway, the government continues to sell, lease and ‘develop’ Native land for the benefit of corporations, including mining, logging, oil & gas, and ski resorts. Meanwhile, Indigenous peoples suffer the highest rates of poverty, unemployment, imprisonment, police violence, disease, suicides, etc.

Ecological Destruction

Despite claims to be the “greenest Olympics” ever, and PR statements about ‘sustainability’, the 2010 Olympics will be among the most environmentally destructive in history, with tens of thousands of trees cut down & mountainsides blasted for Olympic venues in the Callaghan Valley (near Whistler) & the Sea-to-Sky Highway expansion. In the summer of 2007, a record number of black bears were hit on the Sea-to-Sky Highway, with at least 11 dying (attributed to loss of habitat). Massive amounts of concrete used in construction have also caused millions of Salmon to die in the Fraser River, where tons of gravel are being mined to make concrete.

Homelessness

Since winning the 2010 Winter Games in 2003, Vancouver has lost over 850 units of low-income housing; during the same period, homelessness has increased from 1,000 to over 2,500. It is estimated by 2010, the number of homeless may be as high as 6,000. Since the 1980s, Olympic Games have caused the displacement of over 2 million people (Fair Play for Housing Rights report, 2007). In Seoul 1988, some 750,000 poor were displaced, in Atlanta 1996, over 30,000, and for Beijing in 2008, an estimated 1.5 million have been displaced.

2010 Police State

Some 12,500 police, military and security personnel are to be deployed for 2010, including Emergency Response Teams, riot cops, helicopters, armoured vehicles, etc. The RCMP plan on erecting 40 km of crowd-control fencing along with CCTV video surveillance cameras. Special security zones will be established to control entry near Olympic venues. For 3 weeks, Vancouver will be an occupied Police State! And once the Olympics are over, there is no guarantee many of these security measures will not remain (i.e., CCTV).

Repression also involves attacks on anti-Olympic groups & individuals, including arrests of protesters, raids of offices, surveillance, media smear campaigns, cuts to funding programs, etc., all in an effort to undermine anti-2010 resistance. This repression has already been used against anti-poverty & housing groups, environmentalists and Natives, in Vancouver.

Public Debt

VANOC and government officials claim the 2010 Games will cost some $2 billion. However, this amount doesn’t include the Sea-to-Sky Highway expansion, the Canada Line Skytrain to the airport, the Vancouver Convention Center, or the lower mainland Gateway Project. Including these costs, since they were necessary to win the bid and had to be completed by 2010, makes the true cost of the Games some $6 billion, which must be paid for through public debt, money that could’ve been spent on social services, housing, drug treatment, healthcare, etc.

Corporate Invasion

Government’s and business use the Olympics as a means to attract corporate investment. In BC, the Liberal government has ‘streamlined’ application processes, cut taxes, and offered other incentives to increase certain industries such as mining, oil & gas drilling, and ski resorts. This includes large increases in transport systems, including new ports, bridges, expanded highways & rail-lines. This is all part of their Investment to 2010 Strategy. The results have been dramatic, record-breaking increases in these industries, resulting in greater environmental destruction and more corporate power & influence over our daily lives.

Many of the main corporate sponsors of the Olympics are themselves responsible for massive ecological destruction and human rights violations, including McDonalds, Coca-Cola, Petro-Canada, TransCanada, Dow, Teck Cominco, etc., while others are major arms manufacturers (General Electric & General Motors).

no2010.com

2010.mediacoop.ca

i highly suggest people watch this documentary, 5 ring circus

http://www.thefiveringcircus.com/5ring.swf

i caught a screening of it in town here and it's got some good stuff

you can watch the whole thing at the above link, i think

Guest uptowndevil

yeah i wish the NHL would adapt the olympic scoring system. that's the only olympic hockey rule i like better, though. that was an amazing game, i just got done watching it. Hiller was lights out!

damn, the US beat Canada in hockey. Miller was spectacular and Brodeur was shit. Had he not tried to play the pucks as he did, he might have avoided giving up the goals. I can imagine what kind of second guessing is going on among the canadian hockey press now.

Archived