IGNORED

Vocal-Oriented Electronic Music

Guest Masonic Boom

Guest Masonic Boom

Eh? I love Stereolab, they're one of my favourite bands in the history of music. But, despite all that vintage synth gear, I'm not sure I'd call them electronic. They seem to be very much still within the idiom of a rock-based group. Which I love them for! But probably outside the remit of this thread.

Would happily have a Stereolab thread - if indeed there isn't one already on this forum?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh? I love Stereolab, they're one of my favourite bands in the history of music. But, despite all that vintage synth gear, I'm not sure I'd call them electronic. They seem to be very much still within the idiom of a rock-based group. Which I love them for! But probably outside the remit of this thread.

Would happily have a Stereolab thread - if indeed there isn't one already on this forum?

dots and loops is pretty firmly electronic; margerine eclipse leans that way as well

but you're probably right: the majority of their music stems out of some rock basis

Guest Masonic Boom

It's an awful thing to say, but I kinda lost interest in Stereolab around the time they started becoming more "electronic". It just seemed like an affectation rather than something natural for them.

Giorgio Moroder - from here to eternity , not much needed to be said except perhaps the most important electronic dance record ever made besides COmputer World

Einzelgänger - Einzelgänger, a little bit of information about this record. IT IS fucking phenomenal, it sounds like PRE disco era Giorgio when he was very influenced by Can, Cluster and Tangerine Dream. It's the only record Moroder did under this name and is extremely experimental even for today's standards. It's definitely in my top 10 favorite electronic albums of all time

Associates - Sulk, Fourth Drawer Down

How did I forget those? More New Wave than full on electronic stuff, but there's enough treatment of pretty much everything to make it really interesting.

Guest Masonic Boom

Hrmmm. A lot of interesting suggestions on this thread, but not really getting at what I wanted quite yet.

I found the Sheila Chandra stuff quite intriguing, but it seems almost like she's beatboxing raga-stylee rather than actually being electronic music.

But then, go too far in the other direction, and it's just singer-songwritery shit with bad trance backing. It seems to be a harder tightrope to walk than one would think.

On the Kid A tip - slightly off topic, but I went back and listened to that record recently (after it was heralded as the album of the decade by so many sources - to which I was a bit "huh?") and I think it's not dated very well. Hence why I gave the Thom Yorke solo record as more of an example. It's weird how many music snobs at the time told me I shouldn't listen to Kid A "because they're just ripping off Aphex and Autechre!" to which I said "OK, then, play me records by those artists that *sound* like this..." and of course they didn't because Kid A was still done so much within a rock idiom that electronic records didn't sound like it.

Maybe I'll just go on YouTube and find examples of the records that I listed so you can hear more effectively what I mean. (Though obviously, it's such a wide field that I specified that any and all of this stuff could conceivably qualify - it just doesn't move me.)

Guest Masonic Boom

BTW, several of you who suggested Tim Exile?

Good call. This is great, listened to about 6 songs so far and like them all a lot.

Something about his vocal stylings reminds me of Simon Bookish a bit, but with more Germanic Bpitch Control-style musical stylings.

Guest Masonic Boom

I don't dislike AnCo, but I generally find Panda Bear's vocals to be a bit like fingernails on a blackboard. I think it's that kind of "Bob Dylan" effect - you love it or hate it, and I just don't like his voice.

Guest Masonic Boom

OK, I'm bored out of my mind testing the new database, so I'm gonna google up the kind of thing I'm talking about...

School of Seven Bells:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1An2pjS4mKE

Capitol K:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47t9HdGAd7w

Múm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHTFmJk7fH0

Phantogram:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmy9QZghgqE

Archived