IGNORED

Madlib Medicine Show No. 3: Beat Konducta in Africa

837d05977694919ee55dd5cb52566c43.jpg

Madlib Medicine Show No. 3: Beat Konducta in Africa will be released March 23 as the third installment of the producer's one-release-a-month music series for 2010. Beat Konducta in Africa will be released on CD and double LP, with the first limited editions of the double LP packaged in individually screen printed sleeves and a bonus 45.

Beat Konducta in Africa is a 37-track instrumental hip-hop album produced & mixed with Madlib, featuring J. Rocc. This album bases itself on the obscure vinyl gems from the afro-beat, funk, psych-rock, garage-rock & soul movements of African countries as diverse as Zambia, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Ghana, Botswana and Ivory Coast.

http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2010/02/madlib-beat-konducta-in-africa-march-23

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, love me some madlib, but damn, dude's so prolific that sometimes it's hard to keep up!

The title of this release would lead me to believe that the beat konducta series (itself with 6 vols already) is subsumed into this new medicine show series? Shit be confusin.

Also are the 2 prev medicine shows any good? I seem to remember that they'll alternate between productions (odds) and mixes (evens)... I steered clear of the first one mainly since I don't like guilty simpson all that much

The title of this release would lead me to believe that the beat konducta series (itself with 6 vols already) is subsumed into this new medicine show series? Shit be confusin.

Also are the 2 prev medicine shows any good? I seem to remember that they'll alternate between productions (odds) and mixes (evens)... I steered clear of the first one mainly since I don't like guilty simpson all that much

I imagine at least one more of the Medicine Show discs will have to be a new Beat Konducta volume (there will be six of original productions all together). I like Guilty a lot (plus he's from the D!) but I haven't been enthused enough with the first MS to pick it up. I just ordered Vol 2 (Flight to Brazil mix), which was a no-brainer for me, I'll let you know how it is. With him you have to be cautious about the quantity to quality ratio, but I'm looking forward to whatever else might come out of this series.

On top of everything else, he also has a new "Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble" album out which sounds decent: http://www.stonesthrow.com/store/album/the-last-electro-acoustic-space-jazz-percussion-ensemble/miles-away :wacko:

I imagine at least one more of the Medicine Show discs will have to be a new Beat Konducta volume (there will be six of original productions all together). I like Guilty a lot (plus he's from the D!) but I haven't been enthused enough with the first MS to pick it up. I just ordered Vol 2 (Flight to Brazil mix), which was a no-brainer for me, I'll let you know how it is. With him you have to be cautious about the quantity to quality ratio, but I'm looking forward to whatever else might come out of this series.

On top of everything else, he also has a new "Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble" album out which sounds decent: http://www.stonesthrow.com/store/album/the-last-electro-acoustic-space-jazz-percussion-ensemble/miles-away :wacko:

Yeah, madlib definitely induces plenty of :wacko: with the abundance of releases...

take Medicine Show Vol. 2 (Flight to Brazil, which is pretty much exactly the same concept as Speto Da Rua - Dirty Brasilian Crates Volume 1 from 2 years ago (and great at that). I'd be curious to know how the new one stacks up to it...

An then there's that new last electro/acoustic release you mention... there's already the Summer Suite and Fall Suite (both are great, with 2 more seasons to come too) so how essential/worthwhile is this new one? I love me some YNQ and I love the fact that madlib is so prolific, but there's only so many hours in a day :cat:

The Miles Away album is really great, if you liked their (lol) songs on Yesterdays Universe and the 2 Suites, you'll love it.

MS #1 is nice I suppose, I don't really dig Guilty too too much, he doesn't seem to be able to hold an album all the way through, but his singles/appearances on records, etc. are mind-blowing. Don't understand....

MS #2 is the best out so far. Madlib loves him some Brazilian music, this is like the 3rd one he's put out haha. Great mix, not sure if it tops Speto Da Rua just yet, but still listening.

MS #3 I'm hoping will be great! BK in Africa sounds really promising...I didn't really enjoy Dr. No's Ethiopium all that much, Oxperiments was better in my opinion. Maybe big brother can do the motherland some justice :aphexsign:

And yeah, is it BK Vol. 7 or Medicine Show #3? Has the series ended?

• 2 weeks later...

I pre-ordered the hand made 3xLP.... I'm very excited for its arrival :) and of course even more jubilant thinking of the rest of the releases to be birthed as the year unfolds.

It has come out, been disseminated to megaupload and torrent sites. I am listening now. It is good.

Guest Glass Plate

He's done some bootleg mixes in the past of Jamaican/dub, he's got an epic collection, I'm very excited for that!!

• 2 weeks later...

Been banging this all week, one of his best mixes in my opinion. I really have not listened to much music from Africa and this is simply a killer selection.

Archived