IGNORED

final fantasy 13

playbynumbers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wtf, does anyone else think this game blows?

Well, if you're playing the 360 version, I can see how you could think that :emotawesomepm9: [/sony fanboy]

Seriously though - have you played it (or any Final Fantasy game for that matter)?

i read somewhere that Edge mag gave it 5/10! lol, its been out here in japan since last year, but its like Y8800, and i'm not paying that, not even if rinoa came out of the telly and sucked my dick.

Guest Enter a new display name

I read complaints about the extreme linearity of the game. There is no open world, even. :(

Here is the map of one of the dungeons (spoiler, I guess):

ffxiiimap.jpg

Guest blicero

very slow/boring start. i hear it doesn't get going until about 10hrs... which sucks, but i think i'm going to stick it out. even though battlefield is looking hot.

if it is bad this is fucking inexcusable.

Square-Enix has been hearing nonstop complaints for years, for YEARS now....now I thought FF12 was pretty damn refreshing save for the story, but I don't understand how they haven't yet been able to produce something the majority really enjoys....12 i think was the closest so far.

I saw my roommates playing it. From what I could tell, the script and character design are total shit but the new battle-system looks pretty cool.

Guest affliction

never been a fan of the series..you think after 12 games they would get it right?

i remember watching my brother play ff2 and that was pretty cool..i guess

Final Fantasy XIII Ships 5 Million Copies Worldwide

I think people should play it before passing judgement on it - nobody plays FF games for the story (except for teh lulz), they play it for the awesome combat and spell effects. From the reviews I have read, it gets off to a slow start, but once it picks up, it's a refreshing change compared to past FF games (XII was a disaster... X was the last good FF game I played).

I think it's safe to say if you want open-world RPGs, stick to Oblivion (urg) or Fallout - if you want a cinematic adventure, then FFXIII is your cup of tea.

My housemate has been locked away playing it since the second it came out (better than watching him play Warcraft I suppose). It looks REALLY beautiful and fun to play, but I really don't like the fact they've taken out so much cool stuff. I don't think he's found out what's missing yet and I certainly don't dare tell him in case he geekrages at me

Guest Joebot Kill

I think people should play it before passing judgement on it - nobody plays FF games for the story (except for teh lulz), they play it for the awesome combat and spell effects. From the reviews I have read, it gets off to a slow start, but once it picks up, it's a refreshing change compared to past FF games (XII was a disaster... X was the last good FF game I played).

I think it's safe to say if you want open-world RPGs, stick to Oblivion (urg) or Fallout - if you want a cinematic adventure, then FFXIII is your cup of tea.

:facepalm: this is just wrong! XII was huge and expansive and non-linear and beautiful looking/sounding. XIII looks like the same old sparkly, shiny crap. remember mages? and world maps? and inns? VIII and X were the beginning of the end.

My favorites are IV, VI, VII and IX. Honestly, IX was the last real Final Fantasy. But I applaud XII for being amazing on it's own merits. More like a sequel to the awesome Vagrant Story or Tactics.

I dunno, i still HAVE to play XIII, and I'm sure it will be fun, but it's not final fantasy.

you're totally right about oblivion and fallout, i love bethesda. but XII is right up there with them IMO.

:trashbear: sorry about the nerd rant.

Seriously though - have you played it (or any Final Fantasy game for that matter)?

lol wait, why would i be saying that it blows if i hadn't played it? i've been playing it pretty heavily for the past two days ...

i played final fantasy 1 when i was eight years old, and haven't missed any games in the cycle other than 9 and a couple of the japan-only ones (though i played i think ff5 on the ps1). anyway the point is that ff13 is way way too linear, badly written (even for ff games), the leveling system is boring, and the battle system is too simplistic. i'm almost at the point where i'm just going to sell it on ebay ... i guess mainly i started the thread to see if it gets better after a certain point? like should i keep bothering?

Guest Joebot Kill

You should totally play nine. It's got a great cast of characters, awesome music and really cool locales. It takes itself a little less seriously than the others, but still deals with some cool concepts. Not to mention the awesome moogle save points. So underrated!

i was going to get it, but i figured i'd wait a while when i'm done playing some of the other 30 games that i'm trying to beat at the moment. i really didn't like ff12.. it made me sad. it just didn't feel like final fantasy at all to me. i saw it as sort of another vagrant story, but that didn't work because vagrant story was fun, whereas ff12 isn't. i started playing it again recently but quit on it again after a short while. ff13 seems to just carry on that same style, and i don't want to spend $60 on a game that i'm going to quit on. i'll wait until the price drops. i went to the game shop to preorder ff13 but had a change of heart and decided to preorder the next shin megami tensei game. that's the series that has replaced final fantasy for me....

other than the story the only flaw i had with FF12 is that once you hit lvl 50 or so the game becomes an insanely slow level grind, too much repetition....i think after lvl 80 or so I just gave up.

This is true. I'm playing it and liking it. The new battle system is pretty damn good.

I didn't mind FFXII though. Thought the characters could use some more developing though. I'm hoping that as I go through FFXIII they fixed that.

IMO nothing will beat FFVII. It was simply the best rpg ever made. I'm so glad I was able to get it on my PSP-Go.

nobody plays FF games for the story (except for teh lulz), they play it for the awesome combat and spell effects.

I dunno, for me 7 was quite the opposite. I thought the graphics etc. weren't anything special and by the time you've seen knights of the round for the billionth time you end up feeling quite nauseous, the story on the other hand had all sorts of lovely twists and turns in it that kept me gripped. Anything beyond 7 seems to have the plot of cosplayers fan scripts that you'd see on some terrifying site using Comic Sans.

Archived