IGNORED

Plastikman Live

superstix

Anyone check out Plastikman at Timewarp? Any thoughts on his new "interactive" performance? You can download an iPhone / iPod Touch app, connect to the available wifi network at the show, and in real-time see visual effects, what he's playing, the bpm, etc. live at the show. Sounds pretty awesome, and it kills me that I won't be going to see him at Coachella (Orbital too, for that matter). Having always been a headphone/downtime listener of his stuff I wonder what it would be like to be in a live crowd to experience his style of music - it's not too mellow?

Read more about the show in this blog post (scroll down to the "Plastikman Live" portion):

Timewarp Reviews: Mixed Feedback on Plastikman

plastikman_timewarp.JPG

4479489471_c42a72a4ed.jpg

DSC_9416_ger.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyrTUr3Kp5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsOxbNaeRo0

http://plastikman.com/

I expect that would be quite cool.

But does it mean that the crowd will be just stood there checking out their iPhones rather than dancing / listening to the tunes?

Im *really* hoping Glade pull Plastikman live out of the bag.. there are still some big headliners to announce in the Vapor stage, and richie has played the festival twice before.

That last video is feckin ace. He may come across as completely arty and pretentious, but he is seriously gifted.

I watched the videos posted on another forum of the performance. It was all impressive but I feel like I would be very bored just watching. Kinda like when NIN "overdid" the production on the Lights In the Sky tour. It's less of a concert.

Guest assegai

I watched the videos posted on another forum of the performance. It was all impressive but I feel like I would be very bored just watching. Kinda like when NIN "overdid" the production on the Lights In the Sky tour. It's less of a concert.

I'd rather have too much to look at than watch a dude stare at his itunes playlist.

:mu-ziq: I'm looking at you.

800px-Mike_Paradinas.jpg

I´ve been to time warp and yeah, most of the people stood there just watching in the beginning, but he took his time until everyone finally could join in ;)

...didnt have the app and I only knew Plastikman through a few youtube-links someone posted here, but it certainly was mindblowing :emotawesomepm9:

I'd rather have too much to look at than watch a dude stare at his itunes playlist.

:mu-ziq: I'm looking at you.

800px-Mike_Paradinas.jpg

Yeah, with ya on that. I'd still go see Richie regardless.

I´ve been to time warp and yeah, most of the people stood there just watching in the beginning, but he took his time until everyone finally could join in ;)

...didnt have the app and I only knew Plastikman through a few youtube-links someone posted here, but it certainly was mindblowing :emotawesomepm9:

Cool, thanks for the report.

• 3 weeks later...

ehhh those videos weren't too enticing. i've had more intersting jams on a laptop with ableton live... using the trackpad. looks like the man can coordinate a light show, though.

Guest Scrambled Ears

i know ill be hated on for saying this...but its not exciting to watch someone simply turn nobs...there's no energy and it just makes music thats sonically amazing look really lame...

edit: i guess this is the point of kraftwerk...but seriously style is a consideration for live performance...and i can't say i dig the sci-fi control panel thing

conversely...a band like a the crystal method, whose tracks are kind of stale imo is fucking awesome live cause they can really get into playing the instruments/mcing

Archived