IGNORED

fuck I sounds just like my parents.

chenGOD

why not try to invoke real discussion and conversations if you disagree with my ideas DAN C instead of just facepalm.gif ?

Because you sound like I did when I was 16, and if you're anything like I was when I was 16 it's not worth the effort. :emotawesomepm9:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why not try to invoke real discussion and conversations if you disagree with my ideas DAN C instead of just facepalm.gif ?

Because you sound like I did when I was 16, and if you're anything like I was when I was 16 it's not worth the effort. :emotawesomepm9:

ahaha i assure you i'm not 16, but i think you need to go look in a mirror with all your otaku garbage

ahaha i assure you i'm not 16, but i think you need to go look in a mirror with all your otaku garbage

You must be 15 then right?

You must be 15 then right?

my age is irrelevant, how old are you? twelve? :pedobear:

Old enough to know you're talking out of your arse.

wtf that makes little to no sense. if you disagree with my opinions (which you obviously do) then post something like 'i think you are wrong because...' this is how conversations work yet it's clear you don't care to have any kind of conversation and just insult me so fuck off welcome to my ignore list

Anyway. Without my parents' musical influence, I doubt I would listen to the music that I do right now. Dad listens to a mixture of electronic and rock music. For example, Leftfield, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy and Fatboy Slim on the electronic side, Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Foo Fighters, and Wolfmother on the rock side. My mum likes most of that, but not as enthusiastically. She would prefer to listen to ABBA and Mumford & Sons, but at least she tries. Dad brainwashed me with his rock and electronic music from the day that I was born, and since then I have always steered away from the more mainstream choice. That's not to say 'all pop, like Lady Gaga and the like is utter shit'. It's music, people enjoy it, what the fuck's the problem? Having this attitude led me to explore music more, especially via last.fm. At the age of 59, my Dad is still stealing my CDs and exploring Richard D James' work, so it's all good really.

wtf that makes little to no sense. if you disagree with my opinions (which you obviously do) then post something like 'i think you are wrong because...' this is how conversations work yet it's clear you don't care to have any kind of conversation and just insult me so fuck off welcome to my ignore list

I think you've mistaken someone on the internet for a real person.

^Perhaps, but for me the 00s offered all sorts in the way of small bands who'll probably never be big but make good music anyway. What with internet music I don't even see the need for super popular bands any more.

Guest Z_B_Z

What with internet music I don't even see the need for super popular bands any more.

i think the age of the supergroup or superstar is coming to and end. a completely different media landscape has cropped up in the last ten years..

then again that lady gaga video got like a billion views on youtube to so what the fuck do i know..

but i dont think there will ever be another elvis, michael jackson, madonna etc

Guest joshier

fuck off welcome

Fuck off and welcome. Beautiful poetry.

I think it's pretty widely accepted that pop and rock were much higher quality before the 90s. There's always been bad music in pop but the equilibrium is mucho out of balance.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

the 90s were easily the best, worlds most abundant time for artistic mainstream music with dignity

Guest Z_B_Z

im going to go ahead and assume that your definition of "popular music" (which seems to mean different things to deifferent people) is a bit broader than mine

i think someone posted once about how "pop" and "popular music" are different things but i remain unconvinced

as far as popular music is concerned, everything past the 60s sucks equally.

Aphex is pretty popular.

"Yeah I love that song thats in that Sofia Coppala movie its by the Aphex Twin group. Bill Murray is hilarious!"

Guest Z_B_Z

i guarantee you the average person has never heard of aphex twin.

but the man makes a good amount of money so i guess describing him as unpopular would be wrong.. gah im not even sure what im trying to say anymore

^Windowlicker made the top 20, that's not too bad. And most people I know who are into music (even non-electronic music) have at least heard of him.

true, but how much is that attributed to the videos do you think? idk, from my anecdotal evidence of how mainstream aphex twin is, even people who say they like him (often "them) they don't seem to know much about his music. Maybe I just know the wrong people, but Aphex Twin seems like a thrown around phrase for most people rather then an admired musician. He is certainly popular to a certain audience, he's basically at the top... but in the larger scheme of things I don't think Aphex Twin seeps into much of mainstream culture. Go ask some of the people who actually listen to today's top 20, and ask them a little about the Aphex Twins.

Archived