IGNORED

fuck I sounds just like my parents.

chenGOD

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all sound like IDM faggots, like your taste is somehow elite because no one has heard of your favourite artist. :facepalm:

You're confusing popular music and pop(temporarily popular) music.

All I know is that I find it lamentable when people say "I hate all the pop crap these days, at least Lady Gaga is different. She's a genius"

I have heard variations of that quite a lot.

I can't tell if she's different, I heard a few songs and doesn't sound remotely original.

Anyone remember that thing someone quoted, this douchebag describing Lady Gaga as the best thing to happen to this planet "She is Skynet"? I could have killed myself.

I think people have a hard time separating the music from the image/persona. She is different as far as how she conducts herself, clothes, etc, but her music is pretty standard pop.

I saw her on Johnathan Ross. She's just a mentalist, fairly socially inept.

From what I've read about her, that is all very calculated and strategic, just like her outfits. She has a team of people who help her plan all of this stuff. That aspect of her fame is fairly genius. She has turned fairly standard pop music into a huge international phenomenon simply by dressing a certain way and acting kind of intriguing to the masses. Just enough mystery to keep people guessing.

I think people have a hard time separating the music from the image/persona. She is different as far as how she conducts herself, clothes, etc, but her music is pretty standard pop.

Well that's the problem ain't it. That's why there's hardly any more ugly people charting anymore.

Well that's the problem ain't it. That's why there's hardly any more ugly people charting anymore.

Lady Gaga is fairly hideous.

Guest Z_B_Z

You all sound like IDM faggots, like your taste is somehow elite because no one has heard of your favourite artist. :facepalm:

fuck your facepalm you silly homophobe. i dont even really like aphex. and again, i dont buy that theres really a meaningful distinction between the two terms (pop and popular).

i guarantee you the average person has never heard of aphex twin.

this

if it wasn't for the come to daddy and windowlicker videos, people wouldn't really know him at all except his fans.. it's like ae, there's very few people that know of ae and never listened to them.

untrue, its extremely rare to meet someone who hasnt heard of him at some point. for me anyway. excluding middle aged people +

Guest AcrossCanyons

this

if it wasn't for the come to daddy and windowlicker videos, people wouldn't really know him at all except his fans.. it's like ae, there's very few people that know of ae and never listened to them.

untrue, its extremely rare to meet someone who hasnt heard of him at some point. for me anyway. excluding middle aged people +

I agree. Anybody who knows anything about modern music knows who Aphex is. ( altho as said before, they might refer to "them" as The Aphex Twins. :rolleyes: )

this

Look at your circle of friends/acquaintances. You go to music school, you hang out with a bunch of minimal techno people and DJs.

Now in the UK it might be different, just because of the culture of electronic music there (although I can't imagine it being that different), but I guarantee you ask the average kid in university here and nine times out of ten you'll get a "wtf"?

Now can we stop talking about Aphex and the difference between popular and pop music (there is a difference but start your own damn thread).

Give me some good pop music that isn't like the manufactured shite I mentioned in my first post so that I might influence my daughter with good music.

which is another thing XXX you mentioned that your dad played you Zeppelin, The Who etc etc. It's not that they were electronic bands, it's that they were good bands, with creativity. It opened your ears.

fuck your facepalm you silly homophobe. i dont even really like aphex. and again, i dont buy that theres really a meaningful distinction between the two terms (pop and popular).

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Are you actually fucking kidding me?

Answer me two questions:

Would you say that most people know who Mozart is and that he was a musician?

Is his music pop?

Guest Z_B_Z

im aware of the distictions between pop and popular. however, i think that method of classification is thin. i mean pop is short for popular for gods sake. that alone makes the whole thing kind of idiodic in my eyes.. anyway, im not interested in hijacking the thread with this debate so go ahead an express your disbelief at my profound ignorance. im not interested in pursuing this anymore..

BoC pretty much is that popular, though. All the people who like bands like the xx, Beach House, Washed Out, etc., would love BoC or love them already. I would say they could be semi-mainstream easy, especially TCH

play her this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSCJJkFgt_w

is some of timabalands productions too manufactured for you?

Timbaland is ok, a little meh in my books.

yes to FYC though..awesome. Them and Tears for Fears really evoke some nostalgia for me.

Archived