IGNORED

best live performances thread

Guest dese manz hatin

I am now very scared to ever go to a live breakcore show.

I must have seen Scotch Egg about 7 times now, always entertaining although less impressive after a few times... And yes, very brutal.

Tim Exile always puts on a great live show. I saw him at Corsica Studios once where he had a joystick controller strapped to his groin and was warping his vocals by thrusting his hips. Genius that was. Wish I had a clip of it.

Guest AcrossCanyons

65daysofstatic were incredible both times I've seen them (a 3rd next month! can't wait!

also there don't seem to be any/many hardcore and metal fans here but Every Time I Die and Mastodon both also contend for the top spot. Mastodon looked a bit poo apart from the visuals on any videos I'd watched beforehand and I ended up going alone so I wasn't expecting much but they absolutely blew me away and the crowd were so into it.

also a tiny band called Tall Ships who I've seen twice, amazing energy and great performance. People in the UK should keep an eye out on their tour dates because they tour pretty regularly and if you have the chance you've got to see them.

Guest Greg Reason

You guys are gonna hate me for this , but

I recently went to see MUSE live .. and they were fucking AWESOME.

Muse were incredible on the Absolution tour. Even the proper production shows on Black Holes were very good. But the recent tour ate ass. The latest record is a piece of shit and unfortunately this has corrupted their live shows. The least they could do to make it even the tiniest bit worthwhile would be to play 'Citizen Erased' but they can't even manage that.

Guest margaret thatcher

nope, muse, not a fan.

my top 5 gigs:

my bloody valentine at camden roundhouse. blew my mother loving mind, mang. 18 min version of you made me realise, it was just surreal, it can't be captured on youtube or audio recordings.

the mars volta at manchester apollo. played for 3 hours, got a bit wankery at times, but roulette dares and drunkship were just so fucking amazing.

underworld at bristol academy, 2002. my first gig, i was 14, the defining moment in my musical life. they played dirty epic, i sung every word.

chris clark w/ alvin ryan on drums at stealth, nottingham, 2006(?). sick as fuck. that's how you do live electronics, not just pressing play on winamp. squarepusher take note.

lcd soundsystem at bristol academy, 2004, on their first uk tour. also the juan maclean were awesome that night too, was given their first 2 12"s from juan outside the front door, and a blue dfa tshirt for the missus.

[honourable mentions to the fall, the pogues (can't remember much, was arseholed on whiskey), half man half biscuit, the orb (obviously), future of the left, soulwax nite versions]

also got leftfield at rockness coming up this summer. i expect them to top this list.

chris clark w/ alvin ryan on drums at stealth, nottingham, 2006(?). sick as fuck. that's how you do live electronics, not just pressing play on winamp. squarepusher take note.

Shit, I think I narrowly missed out on this gig if we're thinking of the same one. Worst thing was I lived literally five minutes from Stealth at the time and wasn't even working. Damn my shitty health.

the two tortoise shows i saw were certainly the best. no doubt in my mind! kind of idm?

edit: also ceephax looks like suuuuuch a tool in that bombomatic video haha. still love the music, though.

Guest margaret thatcher

Orb - Orblivion tour 1997, rolled so hard at that show I went to another dimension.

where did you see them? it may have been recorded...

favorite live shows

school of seven bells - i was on acid, i hallucinated hard and it was great. then black moth super rainbow came on and i was filled with rage and hatred because they sucked. what a beautiful evening that was though.

daft punk - funnest most mind blowing thing i've seen yet pretty much

the rapture - nearly as fun as daft punk

gogol bordello - shit my pants fun dancing

ween at lollapalooza - just a great, memorable show

i'm seeing mouse on mars at mutek, very excited for that.

Guest AcrossCanyons

[youtubehd]ig0FZVnwec4[/youtubehd]

that was fucking awesome

if you like this there are tons more like it, check out la blogtheque.

Guest placidburp

[youtubehd]ig0FZVnwec4[/youtubehd]

that was fucking awesome

if you like this there are tons more like it, check out la blogtheque.

I've seen those too, so good!! I'm really surprised and very happy to know other people here like them. I honestly recommend go and watching them if you get chance!

Massive Attack (either O2 Wireless festival in Leeds a few years back or at Brixton late last year - both shows amazing)

Mars Volta @ Manchester Academy in 2003

Fiona Apple @ Victoria Apollo in 2006

Fantomas @ Roskilde Festival '05

Kaada/Patton @ Roskilde Festival '05

Wu-Tang Clan @ Dour Festival '06 - Brilliantly shambolic

1. Liquid Architechture 8, 2007 - Runzlestirn & Gurglestock, Dave Phillips, Justice Yeldham, Robin Fox

review

2. KTL/Defektro - Live at Toff in the Town, Melbourne 2007

Review

Recording

3. Mouse on Mars - Live at Goethe Institute, New Delhi 2008

clip

DMBQ - 2005 - Kind of obscure Japanese metal/psych band, akin to Acid Mother Temple, anyway they played a set consisting of:

1. Tuning their instruments while white noise blasted at 120 db

2. the singer managing to get drunk audience members to hold him up by his feet only while he did power ranger poses

3. the same singer screaming in gas mask with the mic inside and delay effects on max

4. having the audience hold up the drum kit AND the drummer (chic who used to play with Shonen Knife) during the final song

5. Destroying their drum set (which apparently they do every show, that kind of self pay cut is brutal)

Sadly, they were involved in a nasty car accident 2 weeks later and the drummer died. They still play now, but nothing will ever top that show in my opinion.

Sigur Ros - Austin, TX 2006

Radiohead - Woodlands, TX 2008

Flying Lotus - SXSW 2010

And yes, Muse is excellent live, even if the new stuff is getting pretty meh. They played a good set at SXSW this year.

Guest HerculesCzar

The best shows I've seen are: Brian Blade & His Fellowship Band

and The Dave Holland Quintet with Chris Potter and Robin Eubanks.

Going to see the Flaming Lips tonight, I've heard they're shows are pretty incredible.

Guest EleminoP

The best shows I've seen are: Brian Blade & His Fellowship Band

and The Dave Holland Quintet with Chris Potter and Robin Eubanks.

Going to see the Flaming Lips tonight, I've heard they're shows are pretty incredible.

I'll be there as well probably holding a door open for you or something. Gets me in free though.

Archived