IGNORED

Ratatat - LP4

Guest bigs

Guest bigs

new record due in a month or so. already leaked, apparently. if their past work is any indicator, it will be great!

1. "Bilar"

2. "Drugs"

3. "Neckbrace"

4. "We Can't Be Stopped"

5. "Bob Gandhi"

6. "Mandy"

7. "Mahalo"

8. "Party With Children"

9. "Sunblocks"

10. "Bare Feast"

11. "Grape Juice City"

12. "Alps"

Guest Z_B_Z

saw these guys open for clinic a long time ago and the main guy was a complete asshole. plus every song they did sounded the same.

saw these guys open for clinic a long time ago and the main guy was a complete asshole. plus every song they did sounded the same.

They were quite fantastic when I saw them live after LP3. Played awesome videos behind. And the transition from produced music to instrumentation was pulled off wayyy better than I ever would have imagined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk8qcGOtBFw

Guest bigs

just gave it a listen -- sounds great!

edit: it's nice to see them mature. they've got their old aesthetic with much more interesting production... glad it came out well!

Guest hahathhat

friend of mine saw them play and said they were so loaded on drugs that they couldn't play their shit properly. i get the impression they are better at releasing studio albums than entertaining concertgoers.

all i have of theirs is the album that opens with seventeen years. it's nice, but gets same-y really fast. what's happened since that album?

Guest bigs

friend of mine saw them play and said they were so loaded on drugs that they couldn't play their shit properly. i get the impression they are better at releasing studio albums than entertaining concertgoers.

all i have of theirs is the album that opens with seventeen years. it's nice, but gets same-y really fast. what's happened since that album?

their second album just seemed like a continuation of the first, but in their third they stepped up their production game. beats came into play and it seems like they discovered formant filters, as they use it all over that album (and this one). even so, they've got a really wonderful sound and pretty much every track is a pleasant listen. favorite so far is sunblocks.

edit: only downside is you hear a lot of traces of their old melodies and riffs in this one. it almost feels as though their career has been different takes on a single musical thought. still, quite charming.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

This...will be a beast .

And the Mirando video is a masterpiece .

• 2 months later...

I found this album was overambitious and didn't go many different places. I prefer all their other full lengths.

• 1 month later...
Guest Backson

Whoa, what the HELL?

I didn't grab this when it came out because I've always been neither here nor there with Ratatat, and because I like their hits more than their albums.

also, i read some reviews that were kind of like "more of the same" and i expected i would get more joy if i just saved up and saw them if they toured.

and god damn WATTEM was all like "its all the same, this bores me" and at the same time "this is too different, they shouldn't have changed" and blah blah all that general crap.

so yeah, I was all "whatever"

And then I decided to listen to their myspace tracks the other day, and BLAM! The track Bilar is astounding!

seriously, i'm going to buy that album simply to get a copy of Bilar. I think it is awesome.

ratatat is one of those perfect bands for doing other stuff to. photoshop, getting ready for work, cleaning house, whatever - something energetic and enjoyable without being obtrusive. this probably sounds snide, but i do really appreciate them.

Guest Backson

i want e*vax back.

i like e*vax - but m not huge on ratatat

jesus Troon, why do you have to hate every release that ever comes out?

fuck.

Archived