IGNORED

your favorite rap album

Alzado

Guest Scrambled Ears

ive wanted to like that cannibal ox album so bad but i just cant for some reason...whats so great about it?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest carthief

Good choices, I agree with a lot of them. Also, great topic.

I'm going to have to go with Aceyalone - A Book of Human Language.

51HKJ2Z45NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you haven't heard it before, by all means, please give it a listen, front to back. I honestly didn't like it as much as I do now when I first started listening to it. One of my old favorite rappers, however (Buck 65, whose older albums Man Overboard, Vertex, Language Arts, and Synesthesia (pre-Warner Bros. versions) would really be on a favorites list), named A Book of Human Language as his favorite (or the best), and it made me look at it from a different angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9F-flplmek

The album is really a full piece, and I can listen to the entire thing, straight through, no problem. If you haven't heard it, I suggest getting the tracklist from discogs or whatever, and then listening to the tracks in order on youtube (I believe they're all on there).

If A Book of Human Language didn't exist, or if I didn't give the opinion of the other artist such credence, I would have to go with this one:

610FsKntp%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The production, the energy, and the power.

You know, I realize that both my choices were, like the artist's opinion I valued, more focused on "the best" I've heard than "my favorite." I'm going to have to think about my favorite. Ummm...oh shit, ok. I had to scroll through my albums but I think I found it. This is an EP:

stigg02_lg.gif

Stigg of the Dump - still aLIVE AT THE VEGLIA LOUNGE

http://www.discogs.com/Stigg-Of-The-Dump-still-aLIVE-AT-THE-VEGLIA-LOUNGE/release/502694

It was only released as a 10", but there are rips out there. The producer is Stigg of the Dump, who did very little work in his career, or released very little, but if you like dark music, I highly suggest trying to track this down. The rappers on the album are Buck 65 and Sixtoo; the album is considered notable amongst people because it was the last time the Sebutones as a group (Buck 65 and Sixtoo) appeared on a track together.

Oh my God, I'm so happy. Here are two of the, I think four, tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFaMgKdxuUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R43Krmor-N4

Guest Scrambled Ears

If A Book of Human Language didn't exist, or if I didn't give the opinion of the other artist such credence, I would have to go with this one:

610FsKntp%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The production, the energy, and the power.

the colors!!!!

i've never been able to get into wu-tang or any of their solo projects. they just don't do it for me.

illmatic is strange to me. nas is awesome, but I get pretty tired of the gangsta shit. that's another reason why I like Mos Def so much.

Guest carthief

I'm sorry, I don't like when people post more than one choice when the idea is you pick just one album, but I got excited about this topic. I have to add/mention these. I hope someone gets as much out of them as I have.

51gb3GzlaQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

147.jpg

Eligh - A Story of 2 Worlds

and

Eligh - As They Pass

If you're kind of a solitary person, like me, haven't heard these before, and like escaping into music, try these albums.

i've never been able to get into wu-tang or any of their solo projects. they just don't do it for me.

illmatic is strange to me. nas is awesome, but I get pretty tired of the gangsta shit. that's another reason why I like Mos Def so much.

i feel you. personally i barely view nas as gangsta. he's like the dalai lama of the mic.

mos def is a god of truth.

Guest Scrambled Ears

i feel you. personally i barely view nas as gangsta. he's like the dalai lama of the mic.

i believe that title goes to rakim...(though neither of them anymore)

Guest carthief

ive wanted to like that cannibal ox album so bad but i just cant for some reason...whats so great about it?

When The Cold Vein first came out, I was really into instrumental albums. I bought Cannibal Oxstrumentals (The Cold Vein instrumentals), and really tried to get into them, but couldn't really.

It took me like 7 years to finally listen to the actual album, and when I did, it just fit. At the time the album first came out, I wasn't able to get into El-P's production. I was trying to get into Fantastic Damage at the time as well, and couldn't; that was another one that took me literally years to get into, but when I did, I quite enjoyed it, and definitely still do, probably more so now than ever before.

Little Johnny from the Hospitul, the Mr.Len/El-P instrumental album, was and is one of my favorites. That was a good starting point for The Cold Vein/Fantastic Damage/El-P-type music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ak85AnRTsw

If you like this track (although I think it's just Mr. Len on that one), or if you like instrumental albums, and you don't have Little Johnny from the Hospitul, I highly recommend it. It's worth buying the actual album because the artwork in the liner notes is great. I've heard it mentioned elsewhere on this forum recently.

I haven't really gotten into El-P's new album, but I do (did) like this track, amongst others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzuyNeNVph4

Also, the youtube user who posted that track has a lot of music I haven't heard of before that looks interesting.

Guest carthief

I'm sorry, I'm going to throw one more up here. Don't kill me.

It can be argued that this isn't even rap, but I disagree.

b861124128a0c59367e29010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD

This is another one that took me a while to get into, but I just love it now. The production on it is so dark and lonely; it sounds basically exactly like I would want my production to sound.

If DoseOne and Why? get on your nerves, there is an instrumental album out there.

Guest Grizz

I couldn't until I listened to Liquid Swords about 3 times and now I have a lot of time for that stuff.

27671.jpg

Either that or ATLiens.

It takes a nation of millions, raising hell and violent by design by jedi mind tricks are my 3 fav of all time. But I haven't listened to hip hop much over the last 15 years.

Guest arbee

lots of great stuff in this thread. soooo many memories.

only one ?

gotta be tribe's "low end theory".

lowendtheoryalbumcover.jpg

but the single rap album I've listen the most in my life:

smif_n_wessun_-_dah_shinin_a.jpg

it doesn't seem to be enjoyable anymore but damn was always there in my blunted teen years. lol

("vintage" albums still on rotation...

digable planets - blowout comb

organized konfusion - stress

ace' book of human language

gravediggaz six feet deep

...those would be runner up)

Guest Wall Bird

Man, tough question. I'm gonna have to go with:

3f7b290f9ed6e-76-1.jpg

[youtubehd]FjjHtSwFPnU[/youtubehd]

Of course, this album isn't purely hip-hop, but that's probably part of the appeal.

Runners up:

Deltron - Deltron 3030

The Weather - The Weather

The Roots - The Tipping Point

Guest nene multiple assgasms

viktor vaughn - vaudeville villain

I don't think I'll ever get tired of this album.

Archived