IGNORED

your favorite rap album

Alzado

i should do that too.

[youtubehd]FjjHtSwFPnU[/youtubehd]

holy shit. this song is amazing, never heard it before.

or maybe

you know what. i like edan but that last album he did - the 30 minute one track - really cool at first then it becomes clear that it's one dimensional

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know what. i like edan but that last album he did - the 30 minute one track - really cool at first then it becomes clear that it's one dimensional

it's a mix, not an album

Guest jsd

Mine are probably really boring and obvious, but oh well

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back/Fear Of A Black Planet - no way I could ever choose between the two.

Eric B & Rakim - Follow The Leader. I also really like Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em. I don't think any EB&R albums are perfect all the way through but each one has absolutely crucial tracks.

Good choices, I agree with a lot of them. Also, great topic.

I'm going to have to go with Aceyalone - A Book of Human Language.

51HKJ2Z45NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you haven't heard it before, by all means, please give it a listen, front to back. I honestly didn't like it as much as I do now when I first started listening to it. One of my old favorite rappers, however (Buck 65, whose older albums Man Overboard, Vertex, Language Arts, and Synesthesia (pre-Warner Bros. versions) would really be on a favorites list), named A Book of Human Language as his favorite (or the best), and it made me look at it from a different angle.

The album is really a full piece, and I can listen to the entire thing, straight through, no problem. If you haven't heard it, I suggest getting the tracklist from discogs or whatever, and then listening to the tracks in order on youtube (I believe they're all on there).

stigg02_lg.gif

Stigg of the Dump - still aLIVE AT THE VEGLIA LOUNGE

http://www.discogs.com/Stigg-Of-The-Dump-still-aLIVE-AT-THE-VEGLIA-LOUNGE/release/502694

It was only released as a 10", but there are rips out there. The producer is Stigg of the Dump, who did very little work in his career, or released very little, but if you like dark music, I highly suggest trying to track this down. The rappers on the album are Buck 65 and Sixtoo; the album is considered notable amongst people because it was the last time the Sebutones as a group (Buck 65 and Sixtoo) appeared on a track together.

Guess this makes 3 threads now where we like similar stuff? :beer:

Aceyalone - A Book of Human Language is excellent, and I guess now it's my turn to recommend the instrumental version of an album...A Book of Human Beats by Mumbles. I actually heard that first, loved the beats and it lead me to discover Aceyalone.

I haven't heard Stigg of the Dump's own work but I assume you're familiar with Villain Accelerate, the project with him and Sixtoo? Maid of Gold is an excellent instrumental album. I'll have to check out that Stigg release.

Little Johnny from the Hospitul, the Mr.Len/El-P instrumental album, was and is one of my favorites. That was a good starting point for The Cold Vein/Fantastic Damage/El-P-type music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ak85AnRTsw

If you like this track (although I think it's just Mr. Len on that one), or if you like instrumental albums, and you don't have Little Johnny from the Hospitul, I highly recommend it. It's worth buying the actual album because the artwork in the liner notes is great. I've heard it mentioned elsewhere on this forum recently.

Another great instrumental album. :cool:

or maybe

beauty-and-the-beat.jpg

I drop science down a bottomless pit, run swift and do a handstand on pyramid tips

Seriously I don't understand why so many people aren't up on this album, one of the best things to come out of last decade.

This and ATCQ, Madvilliany, 36 Chambers, P.E., & most shit already said in this thread. Oh and Deltron 3030 too.

thanks to whoever suggested Common's Like Water For Chocolate. Not sure why I never checked this out before, but it's great. He's in top form and the instrumentals are great.

Guest Greg Reason

When you've absorbed that one then go backwards to One Day It'll All Make Sense

Electric Circus is good too but a little more prickly at times

Guest carthief

2074218242_5ffeed4e30.jpg

Kool Keith is great. Probably one of my favorite rappers, if not my favorite. I was thinking the other day that Sex Style might be up there with my favorite albums.

41EX01V8NVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also, disparaissant, have you heard Dr. Dooom 2? It's excellent. I was so happy that, for a more recent album by him, he's still crazy, Kut Masta Kurt is still dropping heavy beats...

It's really good.

51hLHx0Oa-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Some parts of reflection eternal is truly epic, and speaking of kweli - the lunchroom classic with kweli and makeba the mooncycle. Probably the most chilled out rap song collabs I know of.

coverhq.jpg

the debut album is always in my heart. Their following stuff is nowhere near, though embee himself is quality producer.

Oldie:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf2k2nytUKc

Guest carthief

For those of you picking The Unseen, what did you think of The Further Adventures of Lord Quas? I liked it. I remember the first night I listened to it, I was in bed and I just kept smiling...

Main Girl is one of the best hip-hop tracks I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-gxABJ-iqk

J.A.N. is really good too. Anyone ever see those Quasimoto shirts Stones Throw was putting out? I always meant to get a couple...if they're out of stock now I'm going to be pissed.

q-e-black.jpg

Also, for the Unseen people, did you ever get into Lootpack? I've listened to tracks here and there throughout the years, but never made the effort to get the whole album(s).

Guest Ricky Downtown

Ricky - do you like Cage?

i have not heard any. (i mean, besides smut peddlers) recommend one?

Nobody mentioned Antipop Consortium yet?

Since the thread degenerated into list your favorites and not pick one (as these types of threads inevitably do),

Antipop Consortium - Tragic Epilogue is just about perfect. There other albums are a little more hit and miss, but damn don't sleep on Tragic Epilogue.

To qualify illmatic as "gangster rap" is missing the picture with that one, it's just stories baby. Listen to "One Love" and tell me you can't feel that story.

Archived