IGNORED

David Lynch's Dune

Guest Scrambled Ears

Guest Glass Plate

Wasn't Dav Lynch like really disappointed in how Dune turned out? It would of been interesting to see Jodorowsky's version.

Never read the book either.

Not my favorite Lynch movie but what I can say is that I liked Dune more than Lost Highway and infinitely more than Inland Empire, that's for sure.

Funny that all those idiosyncrasies that people mention about in this thread about the Dune movie, well for me that's what makes this movie so great!!! It's a Lynch movie, every single shot of it screams his style. It's an intense adaptation. Everything is changed from a book to a movie. When people understand that, they can start appreciate adaptation the same way a conductor does a classical piece differently than another.

Guest disparaissant

It would of been interesting to see Jodorowsky's version.

Jodorowsky.gif

yeah

i do like the lynch film, though. i like the books alright, but man. they are just so dryly written, it's hard to get into them again.

i absolutely love Dune and i have no idea about anything in the book. so to answer your question is try to wrap your head around me!

Me too, me too!

Wrap it up!

Guest vodor

i love love love dune. i read all of frank's books.

i love lynch. mulholland, straight story, inland empire, eraserhead. all that shit.

i dislike lynch's dune.

nevermind whatever the specific failings of lynch's movie are, the dune series is just far too long and intricate and subtle and intellectual to ever be a movie or even a series of movies. it seems pointless to me to make a movie out of just the first book. might as well have stopped after the fellowship of the ring, too.

the only thing that could possibly do it justice is a TV series, one season per book. no one but a handful of nerds wants to watch that, though, and absolutely no one would finance that, unless it's going to be butchered into some action bullshit.

dune is an amazing series of novels. it should just stay that way.

the whole series is worth reading, contrary to some people's assertions! god emperor is awesome and probably my favorite, even though i'm sure most everyone finds that to be the most boring.

Guest Scrambled Ears

Funny that all those idiosyncrasies that people mention about in this thread about the Dune movie, well for me that's what makes this movie so great!!! It's a Lynch movie, every single shot of it screams his style. It's an intense adaptation. Everything is changed from a book to a movie. When people understand that, they can start appreciate adaptation the same way a conductor does a classical piece differently than another.

idiosyncrasies? come on...maybe the shots scream of his style but in terms of the story its like lynch and herbert's bastard love child was seduced into the limo of some candy toting producer on sunset boulevard

the movie is just the story of some kid who conquers the galaxy thanks to his awkwardly narrated interior monologues. he is the super being and everyone will be happy

riding slow moving desert vag and shooting laser-powered potato guns at womp rats

i mean i see whats awesome about that...did i mention it rains?

Having seen this movie when I was in 5th grade AND having read the first Dune book a couple years later in middle school, far before I was ever a Lynch fan or a really seasoned sci-fi junkie...I still love some of the aspects of this movie. I for one really dig the disgustingness of the Baron and the really mutated Steersmen (the scene where the Baron unplugs the heart plug on one of his slaves creeps me out to this day). I also really liked Feyd and Rabban and I thought Stockwell did a pretty solid job here too. Honestly the most dated horrible thing about it (for me) is that awful 80s soundtracking. Reading Dune, I got more of a "Cliffs" from SAW II vibe, but that's me. Having said that, it's definitely not one of Lynch's best moments, and I'm a member of the "everything after the 3rd book is shit" club too...but if you know how long this movie was stuck in development hell before Lynch even inherited it, it comes as no surprise that it ended up Smithee.

I thought Lynch pretty much disowned this movie as he had very little artistic control over it. Watching it reminds me of watching something like Kubrick's Spartacus.. you can almost guess where he has control and it is awesome, and where he has little control and it descends into cheese.

The climatic scene where they are riding the sandworms to take on the Baron, overtop of wailing Toto guitar anthems is pretty classic ;)

And yeah, Eno did the main electronic ambient theme in the film, 'Prophecy' or something I think it is called.. just that one piece.

I thought Lynch pretty much disowned this movie as he had very little artistic control over it. Watching it reminds me of watching something like Kubrick's Spartacus.. you can almost guess where he has control and it is awesome, and where he has little control and it descends into cheese.

The climatic scene where they are riding the sandworms to take on the Baron, overtop of wailing Toto guitar anthems is pretty classic ;)

This

From what I recall, what we have isn't by any means a final cut. There was a four + hour version that wasn't edited that was shown like once, and then an edited version which was done without Lynch's input. You can definitely tell that there is a struggle between a Director's vision and the pressures of hollywood.

Some really awesome parts of this movie that make it a classic - some others that are laughable in retrospect. When I was a kid I was totally pumped by the sandworm riding - looking at it now, with the "DUNE THEME OF AWESOME" wailing behind the obvious bluescreen wormriding - fucking hilarity.

The sci-fi adaptation of the first book was pretty good I thought. Never saw the others - though the series (novels) kind of started to go downhill pretty quickly. Awesome ideas - piss-poor writing.

THE SPICE MUST FLOW

I love this movie and the book, the visuals on the movie blew me away even today.

f28u4g.jpg

slocc7.jpg

smrhu9.jpg

xeqrlc.jpg

Exactly. Motherfuckers who whine about the quality of the visual effects can go suck a dick.

Great Art DIrection with good-for-the-time FX > Transformers 2

Guest Scrambled Ears

Great Art DIrection with good-for-the-time FX > Transformers 2

well i dont think anyone is gonna argue with you there

There was a four + hour version that wasn't edited that was shown like once, and then an edited version which was done without Lynch's input. You can definitely tell that there is a struggle between a Director's vision and the pressures of hollywood.

I would love to find that if it still exists somewhere. Where I start to lose some enjoyment with the film is during the second half.. where they've hardly even cracked into the story so the film has to start rushing to squish as much as it can in before the end. I imagine an extended version would totally fix this.

Good lookin' PG - Also, from wikipedia, the most reliable of sources, I found this about that four hour cut:

Workprint version

After the completion of principal photography an assembly edit of the best takes was shown to the crew in Mexico, as well as to Frank Herbert. It ran approximately 4 hours and 20 minutes. Contrary to popular fan rumors, it was by no means the Director's Cut of the film and contained no effects shots or sequences. This workprint version is the basis of such rumors, but there was never a four-hour cut of the movie in its complete form. In the fan edit online communities, attempts have been made to re-assemble different versions of the film closer to David Lynch's intent or to the original novel by using the deleted scenes and fixing any technical errors from the Smithee version.[29]

I've a book containing Chris Foss' conceptual art somewhere, it's really tantalising. And anyone remember Omni magazine? I remember an old issue of that had a really impressive imagining of The Baron, much more in keeping with the book.

I still love the Lynch film by the way, in spite of itself in some places. I read the book before the film came out but I was way too young to understand or appreciate it, one day I will give it the time it deserves.

Archived