IGNORED

Those who Torrented "The Hurt Locker"

Boxing Day

Guest ms-dos

I dunno but I feel suspicious that AT&T is throttling me. Anytime I open Bit Torrent and get even a small (<1 GB) torrent going with no one uploading from me, my router will give me the flashing "orange" telling me that the connection was interrupted. It will be down for 5-10 seconds and then reconnect. Within 1-2 minutes, it will do it again and the cycle goes on. If Bit Torrent is not open and no torrent activity is happening, the router will literally never do this and I should know because I don't really torrent all that much and I do it infrequently. I can Sendspace and Megaupload like a motherfucker while also grabbing massive podcasts and other large non-torrent content simultaneously and it never happens. So, I feel the cock of the corporate complex inserting itself in my ass methinks.

totally. i thought i was just being paranoid, but my connection always shuts down once my torrents really get going. i even have to reset my router each time; my internet won't come back if i don't. i guess at&t's automated net-policing can sniff my ports and tell what kind of downloading i'm doing, because, like you, i can go buckwild with mediafire and rapidshare and never have this problem.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno but I feel suspicious that AT&T is throttling me. Anytime I open Bit Torrent and get even a small (<1 GB) torrent going with no one uploading from me, my router will give me the flashing "orange" telling me that the connection was interrupted. It will be down for 5-10 seconds and then reconnect. Within 1-2 minutes, it will do it again and the cycle goes on. If Bit Torrent is not open and no torrent activity is happening, the router will literally never do this and I should know because I don't really torrent all that much and I do it infrequently. I can Sendspace and Megaupload like a motherfucker while also grabbing massive podcasts and other large non-torrent content simultaneously and it never happens. So, I feel the cock of the corporate complex inserting itself in my ass methinks.

totally. i thought i was just being paranoid, but my connection always shuts down once my torrents really get going. i even have to reset my router each time; my internet won't come back if i don't. i guess at&t's automated net-policing can sniff my ports and tell what kind of downloading i'm doing, because, like you, i can go buckwild with mediafire and rapidshare and never have this problem.

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Bad_ISPs

Just leave your wireless network unsecured and claim it was a neighbor.th_shrug.gif

even if it is secure, there are pages where you can get the password if it still the factory one...

Yeah Thomson's ones are notorious for this.

ISP's have a log of the IP's, I think they save it for a year or so.

we have a MAC ADDRESS and that never changes and each mac address must have a log of the used ips

I doubt a router or wireless modem keeps record of everything, am i right to say that it is only the router or modem that knows the mac adress of whoever's connected? i don't think the router passes that info to the isp does it?

But i heard Uwe Boll sucks.

lol, i don't know what to say.

there are people who are obsessed with him and check out every new film.

these people are very similar to people who periodically flagellate themselves while praying.

boll is so bad he'll make your nose bleed. and yet, i kinda like him more than michael bay.

Guest Z_B_Z

im still troubled that the isps are so readily complying with the lawyers demands. all they have is an ip number. bullshit.

we have a MAC ADDRESS and that never changes and each mac address must have a log of the used ips

I doubt a router or wireless modem keeps record of everything, am i right to say that it is only the router or modem that knows the mac adress of whoever's connected? i don't think the router passes that info to the isp does it?

The ISP documents the MAC of your modem... not the mac of the local users.

my ISP are the only ones to tell IRMA, the irish RIAA, to basically go and fuck themselves with regards to obtaining any sort of records until they have a court order. best ISP i've ever been with. i love them. every other big irish ISP has blocked thepiratebay at the DNS level (easily circumvented).

my ISP are the only ones to tell IRMA, the irish RIAA, to basically go and fuck themselves with regards to obtaining any sort of records until they have a court order. best ISP i've ever been with. i love them. every other big irish ISP has blocked thepiratebay at the DNS level (easily circumvented).

I have TV with them, might switch to a whole bundle. Whats the speed like?

Guest disparaissant

What I fucking hate lately is these companies flooding btjunkie and the likes with fake releases, having to wade through all comments first to figger out if it is legit lol.

tehconnection. passthepopcorn. public trackers can eat it.

I have TV with them, might switch to a whole bundle. Whats the speed like?

i have a 10mbps line, it's good

Guest Drahken

Time Warner Cable tells US Copyright Group to stuff a remote up their butts like that kid whos Mom took away his WoW account.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/05/time-warner-cable-tries-to-put-brakes-on-massive-piracy-case.ars

They make a great point about how absurd it is that these are filed as one massive case. TWC has a mixed track record but I'm pleased to see them poking holes in the approach these groups are taking to copyright enforcement.

Guest disparaissant

oh yay, i have time warner cable. not that i really pirate anything that's going to get me in trouble. still, nice to know that they're against this kind of thing.

The Cable/DSL modem itself has a unique MAC address, which is registered with the ISP (this is how they enable/disable your account: by granting/denying access to the MAC address of your modem).

The ISP can also see the MAC address of whatever is plugged into the modem. When I worked tech support at an ISP, we could, for example, tell that you had a PS3 hooked up to your modem, just by looking at the MAC. The MAC of every device ever connected to your modem gets logged with a timestamp of first seen, last seen, IP address assigned, etc.

Of course, there are lots of fuckups, too. Customer rents modem, returns it, modem gets assigned to another customer, but the MAC address is still listed as belonging to the old customer. Everything you do is logged under the old customer's info. Happens daily. The logs are definitely not 100% accurate, and you could get very fucked trying to prove otherwise.

Time Warner Cable tells US Copyright Group to stuff a remote up their butts like that kid whos Mom took away his WoW account.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/05/time-warner-cable-tries-to-put-brakes-on-massive-piracy-case.ars

They make a great point about how absurd it is that these are filed as one massive case. TWC has a mixed track record but I'm pleased to see them poking holes in the approach these groups are taking to copyright enforcement.

Yesterday, Time Warner Cable told a federal court overseeing a massive 2,094-person lawsuit targeting the poor folks who downloaded (and, what's worse, apparently watched) Uwe Boll's Far Cry that the US Copyright Group's subpoenas were out of control.

these people have clearly suffered enough already.

Archived