1. 1. Would you like to change it?

• No, its fine.
    • Yes the name is shit.
    • I couldn't give a shit.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ms-dos

seriously. it's just a tag that we use to talk about a family of music. it's a silly acronym but it's useful.

and 'abstract' is not a very descriptive term. all music is abstract to some degree, especially instrumental music; and i have a strong feeling that most people simply don't understand the definition of the word.

Guest dilbthelame

if i write it down i usually put it "idm" in quotes, just like "world" or "alt"... which is my way of saying it's a bloody stupid name for a genre but it's what people call it so meh. i'd prefer for it to be called Musicthatmakesyourbraingowaaaaaahhhhhhbiggyziggybiggywaaaaaah but yeah.

how is that any better than saying "intelligent" though? all types of music can be those things.

there are very few genre names that accurately describe the music they are supposed to. a few examples:

french house (really? any house that comes from france?)

drum n bass (this could describe anything.)

rhythm and blues (again, any music can be described like that)

the thing with all these names is that they've transcended the meaning of their parts. that's what idm has done. why change it?

this.

you don't actually think people are being serious when they use that term do you? :facepalm:

when i use it i'm neither serious or saying it ironically, i assumed most people use the term without even thinking about it. at least i would hope they do.

and this.

the arbitrary-ness and ill-fitting-ness of music labels isn't exclusive to IDM or electronic music in the slightest.

hip hop is imo a pretty retarded name for the type of music that listeners would consider hip hop today. I mean think about it: hip hop. hip. hop. never really understood why IDM is so much more painful to say than hip hop. or classical music. "classical," really??? encompassing music from essentially the 800s to the present with one word: classical. when considered it sounds really dumb, (so does jazz, which is essentially a slang word for jism) but people know what you're talking about when you say it.

it's really just a "rose by any other name" situation. IDM is the most common so it gets used.

that being said, the problem with IDM is that few people actually know what the music behind the name sounds like unlike the other stupid names of other genres i listed.

DTA (dancing to architecture)

I like this.

When I try to describe it to people I usually end up using the words "thoughtful" in conjunction with "artistic" or "creative" electronic music. People either get it or just nod and smile.

Techno isn't my favorite word... that conjures up thoughts of mindless trance or club hits.

how is that any better than saying "intelligent" though? all types of music can be those things.

there are very few genre names that accurately describe the music they are supposed to. a few examples:

french house (really? any house that comes from france?)

drum n bass (this could describe anything.)

rhythm and blues (again, any music can be described like that)

the thing with all these names is that they've transcended the meaning of their parts. that's what idm has done. why change it?

this.

you don't actually think people are being serious when they use that term do you? :facepalm:

when i use it i'm neither serious or saying it ironically, i assumed most people use the term without even thinking about it. at least i would hope they do.

and this.

the arbitrary-ness and ill-fitting-ness of music labels isn't exclusive to IDM or electronic music in the slightest.

hip hop is imo a pretty retarded name for the type of music that listeners would consider hip hop today. I mean think about it: hip hop. hip. hop. never really understood why IDM is so much more painful to say than hip hop. or classical music. "classical," really??? encompassing music from essentially the 800s to the present with one word: classical. when considered it sounds really dumb, (so does jazz, which is essentially a slang word for jism) but people know what you're talking about when you say it.

it's really just a "rose by any other name" situation. IDM is the most common so it gets used.

that being said, the problem with IDM is that few people actually know what the music behind the name sounds like unlike the other stupid names of other genres i listed.

yes, in fact every single genre name is retarded.

Guest bigs

i think we should keep the douche-esque name to serve as a constant reminder: even though we listen to awesome music, it's just music -- there's a lot of it out there and a LOT of it is really fucking good. we shan't let our hubris overwhelm us!

i wonder if peeps in the hip hop community complain about the name hip hop... actually, i don't think they do... i frequent a couple of them and i never see a thread called "can we get rid of Hip Hop"... unless it's a white forum.

Guest disparaissant

Techno heads are the most proud of their musical genre title, without a doubt.

no no no, metal heads. i have seen metal heads go off when you refer to something that is CLEARLY death metal as BLACK metal. it's like some kind of metal crime. you might even be sent to metal jail for it.

Guest ms-dos

no no no, metal heads. i have seen metal heads go off when you refer to something that is CLEARLY death metal as BLACK metal. it's like some kind of metal crime. you might even be sent to metal jail for it.

this is absolutely true. imagine how tortured metal fans must get when they have to tag their mp3s

Guest abusivegeorge

this is absolutely true. imagine how tortured metal fans must get when they have to tag their mp3s

Yeah I concede to this actually.

Guest Calx Sherbet

Yeah I concede to this actually.

i always thought the difference was pretty clear

Guest mafted

metal/black metal is such garbage.. it is everywhere around here, like a club you join and don't ever look at any other type of music. aahhhggg

metal/black metal is such garbage.. it is everywhere around here, like a club you join and don't ever look at any other type of music. aahhhggg

well, that's an ignorant statement. like any other genre, there's amazing music and absolute shit in there.

some of the fans are eeediots alright. but again, same for any genre.

if you want a laugh, look at the edit history of the infobox in wiki's aphex twin article

people get very annoyed about this stuff

or this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Aphex_Twin/Archive_2#Intelligent_Dance_Music

oh lol.

"hardly any of Aphex Twin could be called IDM. Aphex Twin made drum and bass, it was fast and fucked up but he was making drum and bass. Calling RDJ an IDM album is pure crazy talk."

Guest mafted

well, that's an ignorant statement. like any other genre, there's amazing music and absolute shit in there.

Cool. Thanks for the input.. and you guys wonder why i snap at you?? lol! the lot of you deserve it.

Yes, i'm quite aware that NOT ALL of them are like that, but i'm starting to think closed-mindedness actually lends itself to certain genres.

i went through a bit of a metal renaissance a couple years ago and realised that some of the stuff i used listen to when i was 17 was actually good

Guest Sprigg

Cool. Thanks for the input.. and you guys wonder why i snap at you?? lol! the lot of you deserve it.

Yes, i'm quite aware that NOT ALL of them are like that, but i'm starting to think closed-mindedness actually lends itself to certain genres.

Agreed... my few friends who are still into metal refuse to listen to anything that isn't angry and buzzing with distorted guitars... it's quite irritating because they won't even give anything else a chance.

lots of people get wrapped up and obsessed with one genre, be it metal, hip hop, or psytrance, or idm. then a few years later they rebel against their own silliness but usually blame the genre.

i much prefer hanging with people who listen to variety. it's the spice of life. there's awesome music to be found all over the place these days

Archived