IGNORED

ISIS 1997-2010

Guest Greg Reason

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this band pretty much got be back into new heavy music in 2008.

i'm a big fan of Old Man Gloom and the last records since Wavering Radiant have been really really good. I've tried to get into Sumac and don't mind it when i'm listening to it but its a bit sparse for my liking. I find that Aaron Turner's aesthetic needs to be moderated by the others in the band he is in for me to really get into it. In Isis he was moderated by the post-rock / space / ambient nature of the other 3 guys (who further explored that aesthetic on Palms which you can hear without AT's moderation kinda sucks!) and on OMG he is moderated by the hardcore leanings of the Converge/Cave-In guys. 

In Sumac its pure unadulterated AT and its pretty pungent :D

Ha yeah, one of my workmates burned me copies of Panopticon and Oceanic back in '07 and it got me back into metal after almost 7 years of being burned out on heavy music. 

As for the other projects, I tried one OMG album (Meditations in B) and wasn't too into it. I haven't looked into Sumac but it's on my list. I loved that Palms album when it first came out, but I tried listening to it again the other day and it just didn't do anything for me. Chino's vocals seem either phoned in, or like he was just fucking around and never got beyond basic guide vocals. Doesn't come close to the majesty of either band; I guess my enjoyment of it was mostly excitement at the idea of them working together..

I thought Palms was pretty good. It def seemed like chino just popped in to add vocals though. Id love to see what those guys could write together. As for the recent deftones material, I think it is awesome, especially Koi No Yokan. I love that album to pieces.

Yeah I can't fault the recent Deftones albums at all. They just keep getting better imo.

I wouldn't mind hearing another Palms album (like you said jules, maybe they just need to sit down and write something together), or at least something new and instrumental and post-metaly from those guys..

there ought to be some way of resetting your musical experience so that you can listen to an artist with fresh ears, like starting a New Game. like many of the previous posters, I also discovered this band around 07/08 and it revitalised my interest in metal which I'd become bored of. I'll never be able to relive that excitement and enjoyment that lets you to put on a record like Oceanic or Panopticon every single day and be just completely swept up and enthralled by the music every time. seemingly infinite replay value. I have to manage how often I listen to this stuff now cos I don't want it to become ordinary :/

that would be some insane timing! :D

By 07/08 I was so obsessed with these guys already. I think I bought Oceanic just before Panopticon came out. I was immediately hooked and obsessed so when I looked into what was coming up, Panopticon was right around the corner. It was an insane 1-2 punch. When I got sick of oceanic I switched to Panopticon and vice versa. Not to mention getting to discover Celestial, Red Sea and Mosquito Control and thinking how insanely heavy that was.

I don't want a tease of new Isis material but I did see Aaron's post about 1515. That would be just brilliant...

Something new could be cool, even if it was just some tour dates or something, they're good live, only caught them once but they're solid. I loved Oceanic after it came out, and to hear them up their game with Panopticon was just crazy. In The Absence Of Truth is my favorite of theirs, though Oceanic will always hold a special place in my heart :)

I didn't care for Wavering Radiant, not at all honestly, and didn't get too much into Celestial but Red Sea is a strange little beast.

I've barely looked into their output since, which is my own fault of course. I'm lazy :)

there ought to be some way of resetting your musical experience so that you can listen to an artist with fresh ears, like starting a New Game. like many of the previous posters, I also discovered this band around 07/08 and it revitalised my interest in metal which I'd become bored of. I'll never be able to relive that excitement and enjoyment that lets you to put on a record like Oceanic or Panopticon every single day and be just completely swept up and enthralled by the music every time. seemingly infinite replay value. I have to manage how often I listen to this stuff now cos I don't want it to become ordinary :/

yeah I got super burned out on the genre (and also post-rock) after I spent a few years obsessed with it, and writing songs in that style. I'm getting back into sludgey stuff, but I don't know if I'll be into post-rock again, it seemed to fit into a really definite era of my life and doesn't seem relevant anymore lol

Something new could be cool, even if it was just some tour dates or something, they're good live, only caught them once but they're solid. I loved Oceanic after it came out, and to hear them up their game with Panopticon was just crazy. In The Absence Of Truth is my favorite of theirs, though Oceanic will always hold a special place in my heart :)

I didn't care for Wavering Radiant, not at all honestly, and didn't get too much into Celestial but Red Sea is a strange little beast.

I've barely looked into their output since, which is my own fault of course. I'm lazy :)

celestial is its own beast. massive. amazing lyrics. you should def go back to that. And Wavering Radiant is absolutely brilliant! What's not to like about it?

Yeah, I haven't visited Celestial in a while. Don't think I ever ripped the CD to digital so the next time I'm digging in my boxes of CDs I'll find it and put it in my car at least.

Wavering Radiant just seemed like they were trying too hard in a lot ways...it's been too long since I've listened to it so I shouldn't blabber too much. I'll dig that CD out too I guess and give it another go. :)

Wavering Radiant is kinda their prog album. I love it, but think that maybe it peaks at around 5.30 in the first track; that chord progression and vocal melody is so fkn gorgeous.

Wavering Radiant is def their most accessible but also a logical step from ITAOT, which I absolutely love. If it werent for my attachment to Oceanic, I think In the Absence would be my fav album of theirs.

I played Celestial on a bike ride this morning. Man, that is just a monolith. Insane stuff. So jammy and heavy. You must revisit that Aux. It is an incredibly mature and cohesive piece of work considering that is their first proper LP.

Threshold is heavy as fuuuuuuuuck! Yea, I love WR too. Man I haven't been like this for years over these guys. Feels good. I really hope that 1515 post of Aaron's means something is up.

edit: was just going through some old cds and totally forgot my WR booklet is signed by the band. ??

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

^ Godflesh. it is possible. but I think they themselves would be inclined not to continue as a reformed unit if they didn't feel they could produce something good, considering the factors for their breakup in the first place.

Archived