IGNORED

ISIS 1997-2010

Guest Greg Reason

speaking of Pelican, I put on What We All Come To Need the other day, for the first time in maybe... 4-5 years? and it gave me weird feels. I played that album a lot back when it came out, and it's still great, but it's a bit strange listening to it now. sounds really dated, anachronistic even. I reckon it's their best one though.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

their drummer was known to be a bit sloppy, yeah. but he seemed to finally tighten up around WWACTN, there aren't any missteps on there.

lol yeah someone once mentioned how bad their drummer was and now that's all I can think about when I listen to them. That said, the shitty drumming kinda adds to the charm of Australasia I guess!

Next time i listen to my shitty drum programming i'll reprogram myself to think of it as charming heh

definitely

"trendsetting" much like how a large amount of post-punk is just kinda shit but still awesome

I realised I have never listened to a post punk band intentionally . Should I?

Definitely!

Magazine, Killing Joke, Devo, Talking Heads, Polyrock, XTC are some of my favourites who don't make shitty music. Magazine in particular were even a little proggy.

I realised I have never listened to a post punk band intentionally . Should I?

Definitely!

Magazine, Killing Joke, Devo, Talking Heads, Polyrock, XTC are some of my favourites who don't make shitty music. Magazine in particular were even a little proggy.

yeah Magazine are brilliant

• 1 year later...

Good read. Some of what he said is pretty true though. This especially...

For instance you referenced the production a while back. The more our records sold the more our record labels were willing to give us to record our records, and so I feel that had a very palpable impact on the way we did things. The making of the our first couple of EPs and even Celestial was very…. I think there was a deep sense of urgency in the process that translated into the recording of those albums. We had a limited amount of time and we really just had to go for it. And when it got to the point of the last couple of records, where we were spending three or four weeks in the studio, it just took all the urgency out of it. Though the sounds themselves might have been pristine and resulting in these very well-balanced mixes, I think the overall impact and visceral quality were lost as a result.

I still love that album and they are def one of my fav bands of all time. May be time to rinse Oceanic again...

On 6/12/2018 at 7:44 PM, Stickfigger said:

What band has broken up, then reunited and released a killer album? 

Celtic Frost

Dinosaur Jr.

This is now the bands that broke up, reunited and released killer albums thread.  One year after the idea was introduced.

In disagreement with the OP, Faith No More.

Failure

Dinosaur Jr.

Portishead - yeah, I'm including 10 year breaks between albums as breaking up.

My Bloody Valentine

Aphex Twin

And in the bands that broke up, reunited and released pretty okay albums camp:

Primus

Soundgarden

I'm not digging the automatic double spacing feature at all.

Archived