IGNORED

The Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem i have with England is that they are a bunch of defensive 13-year-old pussies.

Go and Attack , don't hide behind a fucking wall.

--------------------- Hart-------------------

---------------------Terry---------------------

---------------------Barry--------------------

--SWP-----Gerrard---Lampard---Carrick--J.Cole--

----------------------Crouch--------------------------

------------------Rooney--Heskey------------------------

Guest Mirezzi

I look forward to watching Fat Frank flail around in midfield while Stevie facepalms.

This squad looks disastrous.

Guest Alex C

Fucking Carrick, fucks sake.

Bent should be going, not Defoe, how someone can score 24 goals and not be included is beyond me.

Emile Heskey, striker, 58 caps 7 goals.

Rene Higuita, keeper, 68 caps 8 goals.

Jose Luis Chilavert, keeper, 74 caps 8 goals

lol

Guest Gary C

Emile Heskey, striker, 58 caps 7 goals.

Rene Higuita, keeper, 68 caps 8 goals.

Jose Luis Chilavert, keeper, 74 caps 8 goals

lol

LOL

I look forward to watching Fat Frank flail around in midfield while Stevie facepalms.

what do you care? or is England your backup team for when the dagos fuck the dog?

:wink::flower::beer:

Guest Mirezzi

what do you care? or is England your backup team for when the dagos fuck the dog?

:wink::flower::beer:

I dunno what it is, but something about all my English friends makes me absolutely loathe the English national squad. I was once fairly ambivalent about them, but around 2002, all the chants of "1966!" and blathering on about Michael Owen, Golden Bollocks, Rio, etc. made me come unglued with hatred. Then again, there really are quite a few exceptionally noteworthy cunts on every English squad since Euro '96 (the last time they were likable, let's be honest). Without Gazza, really, who gives a shit about the English?

My distaste was probably somewhat fueled by all the English-loving, anti-wop sentiments in 2002 when your beloved gooks were clinging to the azzuri greaseball jerseys with their diminutive dick beaters like they were digging for kimchi.

{{ Naaa, in retrospect, I really disliked the 2002 Italian squad and the only good thing about Henry's Hand of God cross was it meant no Trapattoni in South Africa }}

Guest Mirezzi

Youre friends sound like they have a WKD side.

I don't really have many English friends. I just made that up to justify the hate.

Guest Jimbob

I met an Yank at a D&B night a couple of weeks back who couldn't name a single member of the USA squad.

Made me a bit sad :mellow:

Guest Mirezzi

Onyewu is gonna fold Peter Crouch in half and pick his teeth, which saves the poor lanky douche from the gas chamber.

RAWWWRRR U.S.A.! U.S.A.!!!!! :trashbear:

Guest Mirezzi

just for you mirezzi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVFBK9GhS5Q

god I wish pen expers was here. His vitriol was unparalleled. (plus he did an excellent job of being the least knowledgeable football fan on the boards).

haha, I remember...his Grosso rants were breathtakingly delicious, as were his salty tears on my breakfast...

Lol fucking Tommy Smythe. He should be made to commentate in mime.

the only really bad decisions there were the goals against Croatia, and the second yellow for diving.

The other goals were all very borderline...refs and linesmen get that shit wrong all the time...both ways too...

Guest Adam

The problem i have with England is that they are a bunch of defensive 13-year-old pussies.

lol, they're much smarter.

wayne_rooney_12.jpg

I met an Yank at a D&B night a couple of weeks back who couldn't name a single member of the USA squad.

This is indeed a sad state of affairs. I'm a massive sports fan, and massive world cup fan, but admittedly I couldnt name more than a couple. The coverage is so weak here. only in the past year or two has premier league coverage gotten a little more headway. professional US soccer ranks maybe 5 or 6 behind (american)football, baseball, basketball, hockey. as kids we are taught to play but as we develop into athletes we are encouraged to play football, basketball, or baseball where the money and fame are. i wish it was different. if we could field a good world cup team and go far that would do a hell of a lot for the sport here in the states. it's such a perfect sport, both to play and watch.

that being said, an american that listens to D&B probably doesnt even know what hand he throws a ball with.

anyway it kills me i cant join in the world cup discussion here because of my general lack of knowledge, but it's just not part of our culture so i havent absorbed it since i was 4 years old and know all of its intricacies unconsciously like baseball or football. i hope it is different for my kids, and that's one reason why i'm going to be drinking hard and cheering my face off for USA to do some damage.

Guest Mirezzi

I am absolutely thrilled by ESPN's decisions regarding commentators for the 2010 WC. 2006 was, to put it mildly, a disaster. Dave O'Brien?????????

Here are some of the 2010 folks. Leading the list, of course, is Martin Tyler.

Derek Rae (very good, Scottish), Adrian Healey (anonymous but at least he's English), John Harkes (good, knowledgeable, much-capped yank), Robbie Mustoe (retired EPL), Efan Ekoku (retired EPL), Ian Darke (another Sky Sports dude who works with Tyler), Ally McCoist (Rangers/Scottish legend).

So the only American is Harkes. I think I preferred Wynalda (he's direct, brutal, and funny), but Harkes is a huge improvement over Balboa.

Anybody ever watch Argentinian Primera Division broadcasts on Fox Soccer Channel? I loved their commentators. It was Max Bretos (very very knowledgeable and amusing American) and Christian Bozzo, a South American dude...he was very dry, but he could be hilarious and sarcastic. When Argentinian TV would show an instant replay like 20 times, he'd get annoyed and sigh. "No matter how many times we see this, it still goes into the back of the net."

Anyway, I'm so fucking excited.

"No matter how many times we see this, it still goes into the back of the net."

Fucking LOL , i remember that.

ESPN is a mixed bag , some know their shit , some are there because the pay is good.

(I hated that dude that predicted the outcome of the world cup , he predicted Uruguay will beat England in the quarter finals , what an idiot.)

Guest Mirezzi

This is indeed a sad state of affairs. I'm a massive sports fan, and massive world cup fan, but admittedly I couldnt name more than a couple. The coverage is so weak here. only in the past year or two has premier league coverage gotten a little more headway. professional US soccer ranks maybe 5 or 6 behind (american)football, baseball, basketball, hockey. as kids we are taught to play but as we develop into athletes we are encouraged to play football, basketball, or baseball where the money and fame are. i wish it was different. if we could field a good world cup team and go far that would do a hell of a lot for the sport here in the states. it's such a perfect sport, both to play and watch.

that being said, an american that listens to D&B probably doesnt even know what hand he throws a ball with.

anyway it kills me i cant join in the world cup discussion here because of my general lack of knowledge, but it's just not part of our culture so i havent absorbed it since i was 4 years old and know all of its intricacies unconsciously like baseball or football. i hope it is different for my kids, and that's one reason why i'm going to be drinking hard and cheering my face off for USA to do some damage.

Yeah, Bill Simmons just did a show the other day with Michael Davies where he talked about the WC and it was :facepalm:.

I fucking love BS, but man, he had no idea what he was talking about. Granted, he more or less admits as much.

I doubt soccer is even 5th or 6th. I'd say it's behind tennis. Nobody cares. Period.

ESPN and Fox Soccer Channel deserve a medal for bringing international football to American cable, but it has made almost zero impact on Joe Sixpack NFL fans, which, to be honest, is fine.

International football is not without its problems. In fact, it's grossly scandalous, with referees that make NBA refs look legit, no video replay, etc. However, as a spectator sport, even on TV, there is something breathtaking about the sort of physical skills involved in the sport AND the fact there are no annoying beer commercials disrupting the story of the match every three minutes.

Seriously, TV commercials almost single-handedly ruin watching American sports. Even when you're at the ballpark, you have to wait all the time for TV timeouts, etc. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Unless you have spectacular seats, attending NFL games feel like a prison sentence.

Guest Mirezzi

"No matter how many times we see this, it still goes into the back of the net."

Fucking LOL , i remember that.

ESPN is a mixed bag , some know their shit , some are there because the pay is good.

(I hated that dude that predicted the outcome of the world cup , he predicted Uruguay will beat England in the quarter finals , what an idiot.)

Yeah, another Bozzo favorite... "Security, please remove this man from the pitch. He is impersonating Martin Palermo." Probably because he hated Boca Juniors, specifically Maradona, who was often higher than a kite, screaming from the stands, his fat ass sweating profusely.

I will be stunned if Uruguay get out of their group. They have France, Mexico, and WC hosts South Africa. If they have more than two points, it will be shocking.

I am absolutely thrilled by ESPN's decisions regarding commentators for the 2010 WC. 2006 was, to put it mildly, a disaster. Dave O'Brien?????????

Here are some of the 2010 folks. Leading the list, of course, is Martin Tyler.

Derek Rae (very good, Scottish), Adrian Healey (anonymous but at least he's English), John Harkes (good, knowledgeable, much-capped yank), Robbie Mustoe (retired EPL), Efan Ekoku (retired EPL), Ian Darke (another Sky Sports dude who works with Tyler), Ally McCoist (Rangers/Scottish legend).

So the only American is Harkes. I think I preferred Wynalda (he's direct, brutal, and funny), but Harkes is a huge improvement over Balboa.

Anybody ever watch Argentinian Primera Division broadcasts on Fox Soccer Channel? I loved their commentators. It was Max Bretos (very very knowledgeable and amusing American) and Christian Bozzo, a South American dude...he was very dry, but he could be hilarious and sarcastic. When Argentinian TV would show an instant replay like 20 times, he'd get annoyed and sigh. "No matter how many times we see this, it still goes into the back of the net."

Anyway, I'm so fucking excited.

if you're right then we are free from J.P dellacamera who is a dunderhead who knows nothing about how to comment on the sport. he thinks that saying "Bocanegra gestures to pass the ball but instead starts to dribble" is quality match commentating. I can deal with harkes then. and rae, mccoist, healy and martin tyler i all approve of with much vigor. shame theres no andy gray.

I've been a soccer fan my entire life (I'm only now beginning to wrap my head around the concept of stopping a sports match with advertisements) and 12 years ago, I remember watching WC games in a tiny mexican restaurant with mexi-americans, brit-americans, aussie-americans, and a bunch of eastern europeans and argentinian immigrants all screaming over a 19 inch tv. It was only the naturalized immigrants who gave one stuff about the US team (and of course their country of origin) ff to now and pure-blooded americans are actually paying attention to the sport and getting invested. It's only been going up. To actually show premiership games on ESPN2 last season to me was a milestone, even if they were only ever man shitty games or some shit as I knew I could go to any hotel in america and find that game, rather than a selective sports bar with premium channels.

at any rate, I'm routing for USA!!! SAMS ARMY!!!! (also england and south africa cause of me mum and gran and the oranje cause i get da chronic reefer blunts) I have actually heard american douchnozzles say shit like that.....

Archived