IGNORED

The Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Guest Mirezzi

you guys assume i don't see how it's important. it is still a fucking dumb rule because it introduced the defensive tactic of offside trap. that is stupid. it introduced a harmful dynamic to the game. it is also dumb because it's pretty fucking hard (impossible even) for the line refs to get it right. the way football has evolved makes it unnecessary now, and there's been discussion of replacing the rule with something else for quite some time now (i guess FIFA should not be discussing matters of football lol) since the game has reached pretty much its strategic peak, and offside rule doesn't make it any more dynamic of a game.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jimbob

make the linesmen ex-players, or blokes who generally have a decent sprint speed....

and i'm not really all for the video evidence thing, i pay to go and watch two teams play not sit around waiting for officials to make their bloody minds up. Certain decisions tend to even themselves out over the course of a season anyway, but in terms of the world cup it may well be something for the authorities to think about for 2014....

As far as i know the two refs behind each goalmouth for this years Uefa Cup didn't make alot of difference?

Guest Gary C

Without the offside rule there would be no need for midfielders and the true art of football (finesse, passing and movement) would be lost.

And personally I like to see a defence hold the line and catch players offside. It's a sign of great communication and understanding between centre-backs.

The notion of abolishing to offside rule has never been raised in my mind before now, and for good reason. It's an integral part of what makes football different from other ball sports such as Rugby and American Football.

Sure, decisions can be wrong. But I'm much more in favour of perhaps another linesman or video-replays of 'goal-threat' situations.

It's important to keep the continuity and speed in football, and that's why a fourth official stands on the touchline with a mic to the referee.

In this season more than any other I've seen them alter a referee's decision.

The argument that the rule should be abolished is completely redundant and unworkable and I refuse to comment on it ever again.

Guest Dirty Protest

According to SSN a few weeks ago, fifa are looking to scrap offsides, to make the game more exciting. They reckon it could be tried out lower league, but it was SSN and they have got a lot of time on their hands. Everytime Sepp Blatter opens his mouth, bullshit comes out.

Guest Mirezzi

i will never support video replay in football. the whole idea can fuck right off. Having done my fair share of officiating, refs do the best they can. Unless you've actually ever officiated a match, you have no idea what it's like out there. Sometimes they make mistakes, but any human does. How many mistakes do players make a match?

Human mistakes are one thing, but I think it's very clear to everybody in the football-loving world that when a ref is a scandalous cunt, he shouldn't be able to dictate the outcome of a match. Yes, I'm referring to Byron Moreno from 2002, or Graham Poll for that matter, and yes, I'm also referring to what happened in the Serie A.

So let me concede the point about offsides. I know it's harder than hell to call. What I would LIKE to see is an across-board decision by FIFA, the FAs, etc. to require referees to give the attacking team more slack. When it's 50/50 or even close to 50/50, or unless there is clear daylight between attacker and defender, DO NOT THROW UP YOUR CUNTY LITTLE FLAG JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE BORED AND WANT TO BE SEEN ON THE JUMBOTRON. That is supposed to be the general interpretation of the offside rule anyway. However, more often than not, refs/line judges act like they're looking at a photo finish and when some greasy wop's long snout is technically farther down the pitch than an asian's flatter than hammered shit nose, they blow their cunty whistle.

Look, chenGOD, every time there is a football thread, you evoke your history, your father's history, and your great grandfather's history of refereeing the beautiful game. I get that. I got that in 2002, I got that in 2004, 2006, 2008, and I will get that in 2010. If anything, that jaundices your perspective about blatantly shitty calls. You defended virtually every shitty referee, including Moreno in 2002 (even though he was subsequently banned in Ecuador for match fixing).

You can have the offsides calls. Video replay on an offside call would slow down football. I understand that and don't want it. I do like the idea of giving each team, like in the NFL, one time per half to challenge a call, but I can see how even that would be problematic.

I'd go further with this discussion of video replay, but really, my #1 pet peeve in 2006 and 2008 was simulation. Years ago, it was very common to see Italy, Brazil, Argentina etc. take a dive. I blame the culture of those countries. However, in the 2006 WC and 2008 European Championships, the amount of simulation was quite simply staggering. We all know FIFA have the ability to use video evidence from matches to mete out punishment. They do it when Totti spits on people. Why not do the same when they see Henry put the football in his pocket, wash it off, then toss it in the air to Galas? Why isn't the slimy, cheating cunt Henry banned? Let's say, for the purpose of this argument, that the ref just didn't see it. Fine. The video did. The video saw Totti spit on people. Ban the fuckers for cheating, simulating, spitting, stamping, etc.

You will see a lot less of these superstars doing scandalous shit on the pitch if you ban them from matches based on (irrefutable) video evidence. Keep the offsides calls, but give me the heads of THESE FILTHY CHEATERS (especially Robben) on a stick.

The calling offsides thing can be applied to a lot of situations. And if you start to take away ref's authority with video replays, imagine what will happen on the field then? Players are lippy enough already (I know I was). It fucks with the game.

Simulation is a bitch of course.

here's the thing with blaming the officials: it's a trope. Managers trot it out when their team hasn't played well, then conveniently ignore it when decision go their way. Players too. And while players might itch, they understand that shit happens on the pitch. That's why you hardly hear any players whining about Henry's handling of the ball. Every fucking player in the same position would have done the same thing, and if they say otherwise, they're lying through their cunting teeth.

The only people who really care are fans. The people who want to analyze every last incorrect offside decision or incident that happens on the pitch don't seem to get it that all those things are part of the game.

And Mirezzi: I'm much more of a player than a ref, I just happen to have some experience running the line (reffing kids games doesn't count, which is all I've ever refereed). I defended Moreno cause i was happy as fuck to see the my slant-eyed gooks beat your greaseball dagos and then watch the Italians piss and moan as if their grandmother had died. My favorite reaction was Perugia's owner cancelling Ahn's contract while saying "I have no intention of paying a salary to someone who has ruined Italian football." Take your pink panties off. As if Italians have never benefited from questionable calls.

players keep quiet because they aren't allowed to say shit. not because they don't care, they lose money, play time, and wins because of bad calls. if you're a player you want decisions to be fair and accurate. when they don't it creates the mentality that's better to win with the most creative use of cheating than with the most creative use of footballing.

edit: lol at refs losing authority, can we get some violin music?, they're football refs, they're supposed to be hated, maybe if there was a way to reduce the number of mistakes the hated ref would be a thing of the past, i'm not nostalgic i'm all in for that, eliminate the ref as a participant of the match. and they can throw people out of the field for being lippy, how's that for authority?

wtf are you on about the players lose money because of bad calls? Of course players want fair and accurate decisions, but what a player sees as fair and what is actually fair are two very different things. And players say shit all the time about referees.

Here's a different way of thinking of it: as a fan, I want players to be mistake free - are they? No. Do I scream for blood and say they should be replaced with robots when they make mistakes? No.

Your mistake is thinking that the most creative use of cheating is somehow external to the most creative use of football. Players cheat all the time. Every player in the premiership has cheated. Guaranteed.

If you think cheating is bad now, try taking away more of the refs authority on the pitch, and see where that gets you.

Guest Mirezzi

By the way...sadly, I think it's essentially true that more than 90% of footballers, like Henry, would have handled the ball in that situation, especially considering the results. I would like to think otherwise, but it's impossible.

wtf are you on about the players lose money because of bad calls? Of course players want fair and accurate decisions, but what a player sees as fair and what is actually fair are two very different things. And players say shit all the time about referees.

Here's a different way of thinking of it: as a fan, I want players to be mistake free - are they? No. Do I scream for blood and say they should be replaced with robots when they make mistakes? No.

Your mistake is thinking that the most creative use of cheating is somehow external to the most creative use of football. Players cheat all the time. Every player in the premiership has cheated. Guaranteed.

If you think cheating is bad now, try taking away more of the refs authority on the pitch, and see where that gets you.

This also applies to the NBA. Three of the dirtiest players in the history of the NBA are in the Hall of Fame. Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, John Stockton.

... creates the mentality that's better to win with the most creative use of cheating than with the most creative use of footballing.

they can throw people out of the field for being lippy

anyway mexico 2 - italy 1 good game, italians looked confused.

Guest the anonymous forumite

I dont' know if this has been discussed already but North Korea participating in the world cup is outrageous. All dictatorial countries should be banned from the World Cup, since this event has always been portrayed as Nations uniting for peace, like sport transcends wars and shit. I mean, North Korea has to be an evil force, much more than China for instance.

I dont' know if this has been discussed already but North Korea participating in the world cup is outrageous. All dictatorial countries should be banned from the World Cup, since this event has always been portrayed as Nations uniting for peace, like sport transcends wars and shit. I mean, North Korea has to be an evil force, much more than China for instance.

What part of that don't you understand?

Guest the anonymous forumite

What part of that don't you understand?

Well, the thing is that I saw an interview of the football team's leader and he was like: we're gonna show how great North Korea is, in a political tone.

My point is that nations clearly working against peace should be banned, assuming the spirit of the world cup is about uniting nations.

Guest FortyTwo

i will never support video replay in football. the whole idea can fuck right off. Having done my fair share of officiating, refs do the best they can. Unless you've actually ever officiated a match, you have no idea what it's like out there. Sometimes they make mistakes, but any human does. How many mistakes do players make a match?

Human mistakes are one thing, but I think it's very clear to everybody in the football-loving world that when a ref is a scandalous cunt, he shouldn't be able to dictate the outcome of a match. Yes, I'm referring to Byron Moreno from 2002, or Graham Poll for that matter, and yes, I'm also referring to what happened in the Serie A.

So let me concede the point about offsides. I know it's harder than hell to call. What I would LIKE to see is an across-board decision by FIFA, the FAs, etc. to require referees to give the attacking team more slack. When it's 50/50 or even close to 50/50, or unless there is clear daylight between attacker and defender, DO NOT THROW UP YOUR CUNTY LITTLE FLAG JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE BORED AND WANT TO BE SEEN ON THE JUMBOTRON. That is supposed to be the general interpretation of the offside rule anyway. However, more often than not, refs/line judges act like they're looking at a photo finish and when some greasy wop's long snout is technically farther down the pitch than an asian's flatter than hammered shit nose, they blow their cunty whistle.

Look, chenGOD, every time there is a football thread, you evoke your history, your father's history, and your great grandfather's history of refereeing the beautiful game. I get that. I got that in 2002, I got that in 2004, 2006, 2008, and I will get that in 2010. If anything, that jaundices your perspective about blatantly shitty calls. You defended virtually every shitty referee, including Moreno in 2002 (even though he was subsequently banned in Ecuador for match fixing).

You can have the offsides calls. Video replay on an offside call would slow down football. I understand that and don't want it. I do like the idea of giving each team, like in the NFL, one time per half to challenge a call, but I can see how even that would be problematic.

I'd go further with this discussion of video replay, but really, my #1 pet peeve in 2006 and 2008 was simulation. Years ago, it was very common to see Italy, Brazil, Argentina etc. take a dive. I blame the culture of those countries. However, in the 2006 WC and 2008 European Championships, the amount of simulation was quite simply staggering. We all know FIFA have the ability to use video evidence from matches to mete out punishment. They do it when Totti spits on people. Why not do the same when they see Henry put the football in his pocket, wash it off, then toss it in the air to Galas? Why isn't the slimy, cheating cunt Henry banned? Let's say, for the purpose of this argument, that the ref just didn't see it. Fine. The video did. The video saw Totti spit on people. Ban the fuckers for cheating, simulating, spitting, stamping, etc.

You will see a lot less of these superstars doing scandalous shit on the pitch if you ban them from matches based on (irrefutable) video evidence. Keep the offsides calls, but give me the heads of THESE FILTHY CHEATERS (especially Robben) on a stick.

LoL Graham Poll, did he ever ref a game after that?

To be fair if we get another 'Hand of God' decision or anything of that nature go against us; people won't be happy, i think thats what video refing should be for to clarify an obvious decision that the rest of the world can see and the most important person doesn't, otherwise it's a fucking joke.

Rio Ferdiand is OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , Steve G will be the captain , Michael Dawson will replace Ferdinand .. probably.

.. Also Drogba broke his arm, good bye Ivory Coast chances.

you don't need your arms playing football. if he won't play he's a big pussy. cast that shit up and out on the pitch.

Guest Gary C

Most importantly this leaves a Carragher shaped hole in the centre of defence.

After huffing and stamping his feet for so long it seems that Carragher may just be England's centre-back for a major tournament.

I don't fancy King there, he's too slow, I'd rather have him come on as a sub as a sweeper. And although Dawson has potential I don't think he has the big match mentality that may be required.

Here we go then.

Archived