IGNORED

The Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Mirezzi

First of all, Ghana did NOT deserve the free kick that led to the handball from Suarez. It was a ridiculous call, particularly on that part of the pitch and with seconds left in extra time.

Nonetheless, I'm so saddened for Gyan, whose tournament was nothing short of excellent.

BUT.......they were not the better side tonight and they were arguably not the better side against the U.S.

I think Uruguay are a better team and, on the whole, played better and deserved a second goal for their positive play. Still would have been a great bit of history for Africa to make a semifinal, but Uruguay are a nation of 3,000,000 so they have a bit of underdog spirit, too.

Great theatre tonight...fuck....poor Gyan.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind any of the remaining teams winning the WC. I am still hoping for a Spain win, but Holland won my sympathies with their game against Brazil. Too bad one of Germany and Argentina are going home tomorrow, as both have displayed a fun style of football. Especially Germany has shown a more fun looking game than what is usually expected from their team. Argentina would be also a good choice to win it all, even if there is a coked up dwarf by the sideline, but Messi is such a fun player to watch and a WC win would cement his place in the pantheon of football greats.

Uruguay seems to be in the zone and has played well the whole tournament so far and it would be no injustice if they won it all. Paraguay, I don't see going through Spain, but who knows, if they do then I guess they deserve it. They are the only team I am indifferent about.

Guest Mirezzi

I wouldn't mind any of the remaining teams winning the WC.

I was talking about this before the game with Uruguay / Ghana.

I really don't want Germany to win another World Cup. It would easily be the most meaningless result of the tournament. However, any of the other teams would be quite awesome.

It's a shame Suarez will miss the semifinal, but for that handball alone, he is a legend. lol

Guest Mirezzi
Paraguay, I don't see going through Spain, but who knows, if they do then I guess they deserve it. They are the only team I am indifferent about.

Paraguay are absolute shit honestly and I hope Spain trounce them. 4-0 would do nicely.

They've benefit from Italy and Cameroon and Denmark being useless and have played negative, dull, uninspiring football in virtually every minute of their group mathches and most of their match against Japan.

tldr; Fuck Paraguay

Guest abusivegeorge

Fucking hell

I wanted Ghana to win so bad, mainly because I have a friend from there, and he is always rooting for England. (He doesn't live here but loves us to bits for some reason). Also, I think they played so well, especially in the final ten minutes of the 90.

Fuck off Uruguay. You will die against Holland without Saurez.

Fuck Paraguay too.

Yeah, I guess Paraguay's uninspiring game is what makes me indifferent about them, silicon filled bimbos be damned. But to be fair Spain hasn't filled me with confidence either as their goal scoring hasn't been there as expected, even if their ball possession has been beautiful and working quite well. Hopefully you are right and they get their groove on and give a proper beating to Paraguay and some other guys than Villa score.

are most of you lot in the US watching the games whilst at work?

yes,in the library of the resort I manage. I could be heard going apeshit, all the way down at the front desk where people were checking in.

Guest Alex C
Sweepstake in the studio on what nationality Marcel Desailly will pretend to be if Ghana go out. I've got Spain #itvfootballsecrets

fucking LOL

Guest abusivegeorge
Sweepstake in the studio on what nationality Marcel Desailly will pretend to be if Ghana go out. I've got Spain #itvfootballsecrets

fucking LOL

lmao

Guest Mirezzi

Argentina look worse than England did and it's not even close. They look MUCH worse. Their attacking is selfish, amounting to Tevez and Messi running around staring at the ground while trying to dribble around a swarm of Germans.

Just like Brazil yesterday, I will turn to one man when summing up what went wrong for Argentina. Diego Maradona. His team looked marginally impressive against a truly shitty group. Without the offside goal against Mexico, that might have been a very different game. His squad selection proved to be absolutely dreadful by the time 5 minutes had transpired against Germany. His arrogance was his undoing and this team, like Dunga's Brazil, had no discipline.

Where oh where are Zanetti and Cambiaso right now? As poor as Argentina were today defensively, their midfield depended exclusively on Lionel Messi attempting to dribble around 11 Germans. The wings were available but Argentina insisted on running everything through the middle of the pitch where angles were cut off very quickly by Schweinsteiger and Khedira.

I don't want to take anything away from Germany though. They've earned the label of "impressive" and they were a joy to watch today. They played fair, didn't roll around on the ground embellishing injuries, they didn't spend 30 seconds crying to referees after every meaningless foul. Most importantly, they moved as a selfless unit and challenged almost every idea the Argentinians could muster, which were admittedly very few.

As it stands, There are two European teams in the semifinals and a third will likely be added later today. So much for the South American dominance. lol......

First time Argentina meets a truly good team and they are exposed as a very weak defensive team. Maradona should just step down and be the official cheerleader of the team and have a real coach with some tactical know how run the show. It was all fun and games when they won, but a little adversity Maradona was like a deer in the headlights.

However credit to Germany, they shut down Messi, who was invisible most of the match, and capitalized on their chances. They look really strong, almost unstoppable. And I also like that they did not shy away from striking when they had a chance even when up by two goals. An entertaining game overall.

That was an amazing game, Germany just work amazingly well together. Some of the passing was absolute genius. It's great to see a team everybody rates for the big names like Argentina (and England for that matter) get torn apart by a team that just play beautifully as a team.

I'd like to see Germany win the world cup.

Archived