IGNORED

DMT

vertsk8er419

also im surprised that when people talk about mckenna they dont site his most "intense" psychedelic experiences being 3 brain seizures on the night of his death...

where can i get more detail about this? did he even have time to describe it or speak of it?

i always wondered if Terrence Mckenna was disappointed by perhaps how unpsychedelic actual death was..

hmm, very interesting. i never really got to read or hear any of the details of mckenna's death, just some of his reflections in his last days. elaborate further please, if possible...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can i ask a stupid question, why is dmt spiritual and lsd or mushrooms not?

mushrooms, lsd, cannabis, peyote, morning glory seeds, they are all very spiritual mind opening substances, all psychedelics are/or can be when done in the right mindset and with proper preparation.

the main reason i find the Gaia theory to be so profound is through my experiences with mushrooms. they really help you realize the sentience of our Earth and to appreciate and love it. it's like a history lesson really, i felt more connected to our earths natural history and collective consciousness, no doubt. it's very tough to explain looking back, but it certainly made a lot of sense, like :cisfor: -of course! it just pulled a serious heart string, so to speak, that's all.

I kind of understand what you're talking about, to me it's just like, feeling and seeing evolution. Parts of our DNA are inherited from every ancestor we've ever had, all the way back to fishies and single-celled organisms, and I feel like that's brought out when I'm tripping hard on mushrooms. Like experiencing dormant parts of my animal brain/DNA sequence or something. But this is all just blind speculation.

Guest Scrambled Ears

also im surprised that when people talk about mckenna they dont site his most "intense" psychedelic experiences being 3 brain seizures on the night of his death...

where can i get more detail about this? did he even have time to describe it or speak of it?

i always wondered if Terrence Mckenna was disappointed by perhaps how unpsychedelic actual death was..

here's an article

http://www.techgnosis.com/chunkshow-single.php?chunk=chunkfrom-2005-01-13-1713-1.txt

the brain seizure thing was actually un-cited on wikipedia so take it as you will

here's an article

http://www.techgnosis.com/chunkshow-single.php?chunk=chunkfrom-2005-01-13-1713-1.txt

the brain seizure thing was actually un-cited on wikipedia so take it as you will

wow that was a moving interview, thanks for sharing

Guest Scrambled Ears

i like the thing about william blake...

don't know if anyones heard this one

to god by blake

to you who would make a circle to go into to

go into it yourself and see how you would do

Guest Scrambled Ears

OMG why don't you believe in GOD instead???

well i think if youre writing him you must...unless youre andy partridge

there is a DMT researcher (not straussman) who thinks that some of the hallucinations themselves one experiences on DMT serve an evolutionary purpose. Specifically the inspiration for megalithic architecture and complex structures.

evolutionary psychology is on pretty flimsy scientific grounds, but the theories postulated are interesting and good food for thought. there is one researcher in the university here in my town who theorizes that nightmares was a way for us to prime ourselves to face threats back in our early days. sounds plausable but in the end as good as impossible to prove.

have you heard of the research done with electro magnetism on brain hemispheres to stimulate the 'god' inside you? They have put people into these devices where afterward they describe the distinct sensation of being visited by entities that the subject is convinced did not come from his own brain. The leading researcher behind this has theorized that once we as humans developed the intelligence to be aware of our own mortality that the brain evolved a component to 'deal with the stress' of knowing you're going to die eventually. This mechanism to quell the stress is the illusion or belief that there is some kind of infinite or never ending aspect to human consciousness usually through the presence of a higher power. Just looked up the guy's name, Michael Persinger (article about his research - this is your brain on god)

someone posted a link to a NPR series about this "god helmet" here on WATMM, so i am familiar with it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=110997741

when richard dawkins tried the helmet he did not experience anything special, so quite possible it's a placebo effect or peoples brain are wired differently and some are more susceptible to religion/faith than others. neurotheology is still a fringe science and a much better understanding of how our brains is needed before we could start to tackle these sort of questions.

Wasn't there some research done a few years back that showed a correlation between certain genes and religious belief.. ie some people are more genetically disposed to be true believers than others?

I would love to try that god helmet myself in the interests of science.. sensory deprivation is definitely on my hit list as well someday

And back on the topic, it is interesting how many of us come to somewhat similar conclusions after taking psychedelics.. influenced by our backgrounds and beliefs of course, but remarkably compatible. No regrets that I took the ride, for sure.

someone posted a link to a NPR series about this "god helmet" here on WATMM, so i am familiar with it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=110997741

when richard dawkins tried the helmet he did not experience anything special, so quite possible it's a placebo effect or peoples brain are wired differently and some are more susceptible to religion/faith than others. neurotheology is still a fringe science and a much better understanding of how our brains is needed before we could start to tackle these sort of questions.

yeah thats kind of why i want to try it, im skeptical that it's as powerful as the guy claims however i am very interested in the power of the placebo effect.

Has anyone been able to tap directly into the mechanism in the brain that generates the placebo effect? Do we even understand it? my natural inclination is to say no.

it would be interesting if somebody eventually put out a drug that stimulates the placebo effect, what kind of effect would that have?

it would be interesting if somebody eventually put out a drug that stimulates the placebo effect, what kind of effect would that have?

Whatever the person doing the dosing says it will?

:emotawesomepm9:

• 9 months later...

there is a DMT researcher (not straussman) who thinks that some of the hallucinations themselves one experiences on DMT serve an evolutionary purpose. Specifically the inspiration for megalithic architecture and complex structures.

could I get a link to this? I had the exact same idea a while back. I was reading about Gobekli Tepe, and it got me thinking...what prompted humans to create the first temple? This was mostly inspired by McKenna's stoned ape idea, but anyways, I thought: what if the almost globally shared meme of geometry being connected to sacredness and holiness could be explained as the diluded veneration of some shared ancestral memory (of being somehow more connected to nature). My thought was that if there were form constants and actual 'architectural' elements to the hallucinations shared by many people, than perhaps in primitive societies, the shared theme of erecting geometric monuments could be explained as the symbolic making of the 'divine' (or hallucinatory) physical and tangible.

@Salvatorin: Here's a good article about what I feel may be a partial explanation for 'sacred' geometry. http://plus.maths.org/content/os/issue53/features/hallucinations/index

As for why humans built temples in the first place.. I think (and this is not backed up by anything but my own thoughts) that after the first inklings of self-awareness came about, so did the grim realization of death. A fact like that must have been incredibly psychologically troubling, and I think the idea of something eternal or beyond earthly life - that is, something that carries on after we die - was a practical, if not necessary, way for early man to cope with the grim realization that no matter what he did, he was going to rot. A good number of early myths focus on this topic (see Gilgamesh, for example).

btw I didn't read this thread so if that was already said, ignore me please & thanks

i was at a friend's house the other day, making music and shit, and suddenly he pulled out 2 large doses of dmt... only to tell me that he's keeping them for him and his girlfiend... fuckin bastard

although i have no chemistry skills at all, i'm seriously thinking about extracting the damn substance

@Salvatorin: Here's a good article about what I feel may be a partial explanation for 'sacred' geometry. http://plus.maths.org/content/os/issue53/features/hallucinations/index

yVlWS.jpg

Top left, I have seen before, with a bit of swirling to it, just as I was losing all consciousness, being knocked out for an operation as a kid. Was terrifying at the time, vision fades out, the black and white spiral, then... nothing. Pretty sure this is what death is like.

Archived