IGNORED

WTF is electro-tinged-indie-pop?

Rubin Farr

i swear i've received or read promos for new bands where i see that same goddamn unoriginal term for what amounts to shit music. i mean it always turns out to be some band of fucking 5 young male hipsters that are trying to sound like Doves, or The Killers or whatever band was popular last decade with absolutely no electronic element to their drivel whatsoever. is there some fratboy rockstar wannabe meeting at Hot Topic i'm not being invited to?

old man rant out.

i just saw this in my inbox

"The Denver-based artist has been lumped in with the chillwave crowd, even though music often sounds more like a rough-around-the-edges take on '80s dance pop, early '90s rave, and modern UK bass music."

that's about as far as i read before closing it

Guest theSun

modern UK bass music is the new squarepusher album where he has a room of bass guitars and 2 very old stand ups. he lights the room on fire and then samples the upper frequency range to filter out the ambient chorus-y mess that is so common with bass-fires. then he destroys the recording and vacations on the coast of sicily for 3 weeks 2 nights to build up his mana for the ultra-exclusive live bass show that he performs by ritually murdering les claypool and introducing a new side project featuring that guy from red hot chili peppers and jaco pastorius. well they eat les' ribs (rew1) and transfer the audio of the whole endeavor to their internal minidisc recording devices, which is then gmailed to warp and there's modern UK bass music.

modern turkish bass music is entirely different.

"The Denver-based artist has been lumped in with the chillwave crowd, even though music often sounds more like a rough-around-the-edges take on '80s dance pop, early '90s rave, and modern UK bass music."

Could be good or bad. Where can I hear them?

pictureplane_podcast.jpg

"PicturePlane"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZY34rBeIg

holy god

i got this in the form of an XLR8r magazine mail out (That i keep unsubscribing from but they keep sending)

it's funny to watch XLR8r evolve from a throw-away dance music DJ magazine into trying to be more relevent and riding Pitchfork's coattails

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF4VuRnlTrE&feature=related

if i wrote for Xlr8r i would describe this as the inevitable distillation of worst of EBM, VNVnation combined with bad nods to shoegaze music of the mid 80s

"PicturePlane"

holy god

i got this in the form of an XLR8r magazine mail out (That i keep unsubscribing from but they keep sending)

it's funny to watch XLR8r evolve from a throw-away dance music DJ magazine into trying to be more relevent and riding Pitchfork's coattails

if i wrote for Xlr8r i would describe this as the inevitable distillation of worst of EBM, VNVnation combined with bad nods to shoegaze music of the mid 80s

XLR8R's a mixed bag. I'm just realizing I got the same spam.

But sometimes I get stuff I like from them, like this:

http://www.xlr8r.com/mp3/2010/06/get-your-feet-walter-gibbons-mix

i like la roux

Why is that even associated with indie, though? What little I've heard just sounds like 80s pop music...therefore, pop.

On the subject of the original post though, reminds me of the term "indie electronica". I guess they are quite similar, with "indie electronica" being more like indie rock-tinged electronica whereas the other is more rock/pop tinged with electronic (who ever heard of that before! :wtf: ).

Guest Greg Reason

modern UK bass music is the new squarepusher album where he has a room of bass guitars and 2 very old stand ups. he lights the room on fire and then samples the upper frequency range to filter out the ambient chorus-y mess that is so common with bass-fires. then he destroys the recording and vacations on the coast of sicily for 3 weeks 2 nights to build up his mana for the ultra-exclusive live bass show that he performs by ritually murdering les claypool and introducing a new side project featuring that guy from red hot chili peppers and jaco pastorius. well they eat les' ribs (rew1) and transfer the audio of the whole endeavor to their internal minidisc recording devices, which is then gmailed to warp and there's modern UK bass music.

modern turkish bass music is entirely different.

Mahahahahahahahahaha fuckin awesome

Guest GrandPopPoplock

But...I like Pictureplane :sad:

Time Teens is nice lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5-mIE_1kKo

I saw him live last October ( he was touring with Health ) Other than me almost going deaf from Health's performance, the whole show was great .

And yes, it was a mad hipster scene there HDD.gif

pictureplane_podcast.jpg

"PicturePlane"

why wouldn't you just describe it as utter shit?

Guest Masonic Boom

I fucking love modern Turkish bass music. Onur Ozer is the man!

It's fairly obvious why this music has proliferated in the past few years. It used to be that if you were gonna do indie-pop, you had to have either the talent, the charisma or the cash to attract and keep a bassist and a drummer.

In the past decade, with the proliferation of cheap and easy to use software and the expansion of computers into even non-tech homes, your average sensitive indie dude who wants to be in a band doesn't have to bother with a rhythm section any more. Hence why you have so many indie dudes who hear, say, Animal Collective or Memory Tapes and decide that they don't need talent or friends to make dull churning landfill indie with a shiny silver box!

Guest lustfulgustav

is there some fratboy rockstar wannabe meeting at Hot Topic i'm not being invited to?

old man rant out.

Yes, they're called Hot Topic employee meetings.

i had an epiphany today while thinking about his thread. i think what all these genres they are using to describe this music is that fact that it's 80's music, but they don't want to call it "80s" music. the 80's is over and done with, plus not only does it describe a genre a decade too. so these people what they really need is to think of a good name for a genre and stick with that. currently they obviously don't and they are calling it all this crazy stuff.

pictureplane_podcast.jpg

"PicturePlane"

why wouldn't you just describe it as utter shit?

what a complete fag.

i had an epiphany today while thinking about his thread. i think what all these genres they are using to describe this music is that fact that it's 80's music, but they don't want to call it "80s" music. the 80's is over and done with, plus not only does it describe a genre a decade too. so these people what they really need is to think of a good name for a genre and stick with that. currently they obviously don't and they are calling it all this crazy stuff.

Exactly...it's essentially 80s synth pop or just pop.

Archived