IGNORED

timeless albums

Guest tht tne

Guest nene multiple assgasms

also can someone explain to me why i should actively listen to velvet underground beyond an initial listen for appreciation of being 'proto' or whatever? something to start with, perhaps?

good tunes?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess in a way some of the early electronic music may feel very timestamped.

actually, imo a lot of the real early electronic music (from the 60s-70s) is pretty timeless - cluster, harmonia, stockhausen etc. 'sowiesoso' by cluster is a good example too.

has anyone mentioned neu!'s first album yet? or this:

6210.jpeg

Guest Scrambled Ears

also can someone explain to me why i should actively listen to velvet underground beyond an initial listen for appreciation of being 'proto' or whatever? something to start with, perhaps?

good tunes?

everything on VU and Nico

rush of heroin is crazy...

european son when the broken glass kicks it off

the guitar on run run run has a wild twang and rhythm like it was fired out of a gun

who hasnt dealt with a femme fatale?

all tomorrows partys is some weird choral chant

the black angel's death song has incredible lyrics

john cale rules

if its not your style its not your style but they have some awesome songs and lyrics

ok cool i'll check them out - i just kinda dismissed them when a friend of mine showed me a track that consisted of lou reed repeating "suckin on my ding dong.. couldn't hit it sideways" or something for an extended period of time.. kinda annoying

Guest Billov

I would have to agree about the 60/70's electronic music, its just I haven't really delved into that much. A little bit of Kraftwerk and a little bit of Eno and some krautrock is about all I've listened to. But I'll take your recommendations, that Cluster track was nice :)

I just got a whole load of Popol Vuh which I'm eager to listen through. Their scores for Herzogs films are always brilliant.

As well as what Scrambled Ears said, one of my favourite velvet tracks is Pale Blue Eyes.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

ok cool i'll check them out - i just kinda dismissed them when a friend of mine showed me a track that consisted of lou reed repeating "suckin on my ding dong.. couldn't hit it sideways" or something for an extended period of time.. kinda annoying

sister ray? that shit's awesome.

sister ray? that shit's awesome.

velvet underground is up there with beatles for me. luv

Guest jafferinc

Goldie has create the timeless albums which is still on everybody's mouth and also has a ground breaking releases which is a smash hit. Her albums are the blended with the complex and drum and bass with an expansive strings as well as female vocals which has given a crossover hits.

Guest Calx Sherbet

my life in the bush of ghosts....i wonder what people thought of that back in 1981. anyone here actually witness the release of that one? or remember first impressions of it?

velvet underground is up there with beatles for me. luv

+1

Guest disparaissant

my life in the bush of ghosts....i wonder what people thought of that back in 1981. anyone here actually witness the release of that one? or remember first impressions of it?

no but i'd definitely agree with the timelessness.

i'd nominate some kate bush albums but almost all of them have a few synth parts that are dead giveaways.

Guest chunky

re: velvet underground... try these:

3. "Lady Godiva's Operation" – 4:56

4. "Here She Comes Now" (Reed, Morrison, Cale) – 2:04

5. "I Heard Her Call My Name" – 4:38

"Who Loves the Sun" – 2:50

Cliched it maybe but Pink Floyds DSOTM never fails to astound me on how timeless it sounds.

a classic yeah, but it still sounds totally like the 70's. Every girl i've been w/ never fails to remind me of this.

Oh yeah and...

donuts_vinyl.jpg

Also :facepalm: at "tauhid" for pink floyd comment. They may have annoying die hard fans, but I found myself hard pressed determining a real winner amongst the wall, dsotm, animals, meddle, wish you were here, and the pipers at the gates of dawn. They were immense for their time and their music still lives strong 30-40 years later.

god damn i really need more neil young. i have trans on vinyl and hawks & doves on mp3 (which is amazing), where should i go from there?

I doubt you can beat after the gold rush, but his live performance in 1971 at massey hall is amazing also..

oh and add this one, missed it in first post

d8ef1124389a5dae626360008ffeccfa_full.jpg

Im sure theres more I am missing

Guest ruiagnelo

Lol @ the Pink Floyd mention on the first page.

Where's the lol on it? Some of the songs that make that album are better than the whole records you posted.

Lol @ the Pink Floyd mention on the first page.

Where's the lol on it? Some of the songs that make that album are better than the whole records you posted.

Nope.

Guest Greg Reason

I disagree very strongly with most people's idea of "timeless"

I'd say at least 90% of what people have posted in this thread sounds extremely dated.

I'll not single any out as examples but I guess people are saying "these are the albums I think will always sound good" rather than "these are the albums that will always sound fresh". The grand majority of albums nominated in this thread sound old. That's not a criticism but it is a fact. To me, "timeless" implies that it does not have any content that dates the record.

An example of a record I would consider to be timeless is A Love Supreme by John Coltrane. If you didn't know it and were given a listen you could conceivably think it was recorded yesterday. There is no musical or audible signposts that give away the fact that it was recorded in 1964.

Guest ruiagnelo

I'd say at least 90% of what people have posted in this thread sounds extremely dated.

people just post their favorite albums

An interesting thread, but I suppose 'timeless' might be just as subjective as 'favourite'.

That said, SY's Bad Moon Rising might sound as fucked if it was released now as back when it actually was (I forget the year). Also the first few albums by Faust.

Archived