IGNORED

Where do you buy your music from?

Guest mrguy

There's a couple stores in my town I frequently visit, both of which sell a lot of used CDs pretty cheap. I buy from them as long as whatever I'm looking for isn't a huge ripoff, or simply unavailable. Those are the instances where I would check out Amazon or wherever, but that happens very seldomly. I'm a sucker for ritual I guess, at least when it comes to music consumption. It gives me a reason to leave the studio. If I did all my shopping from my computer too, I'd just be stuck in one little room for 90% of my life.

Physical: mostly bleep, sometimes Boomkat. Soundclash in Norwich is an ace record shop, good for new releases and most of the things I'm after.

Digital: mostly Boomkat, often bleep. Stones Throw a lot. iTunes if they're putting bonus tracks on albums (often with Warp and 4AD releases).

I don't download illegally anymore.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I buy from all sorts of online stores. mostly physical copies, but also downloads if it's otherwise vinyl only.

Guest analogue wings

No other Beatporters?

I started buying there because they had exclusives from Berlin acts like Rother and Ellen Allien, but I quite like the interface so I've bought a few other things there too. They have some cool old school stuff which is impossible to get at full quality by illegal means

I stopped buying CDs when I realised I was just ripping them and putting them straight on a shelf to gather dust.

Guest HerculesCzar

I buy most of my stuff from a local record store, Landlocked, and will occasionally order stuff I can't find irl off of Amazon. I hate downloading music, it feels much better to have a package in your hands.

Guest mrguy

Stores:

GUF - a recordstore which had one hell of a selection and the most welcoming and enthusiastic employees, who were always up for a music chat. One reason I liked it was because a handful of the employees were just as crazy about Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree and everything around. It had to close down in may last year due to the financial crisis.

that sounds like an amazing store...

Burningshed - Takes care of all my needs in terms of Porcupine Tree and new progressive music.

and their customer service is stunning

my grey, special edition anesthetize got damaged in the post and it took 2 emails to hve them send a replacement!

Rockserwis - Polish store, pretty fucking cheap and has a nice selection of prog and alike.

just bought a couple of things from there. It's a shame that shipping was €10 for two items thar were €12 :(

Get a visa and come to Europe!

Trying to imagine this conversation with the 'rents

"where is my passport, mum?"

"...why do you want it?"

"going to europe"

"You're 15, why do you need that?"

"oh, I wanted to get an autechre and BoC cd! They cost like $30 each here, and they are about €6 in europe!"

"....No"

I hate downloading music, it feels much better to have a package in your hands.

Wholeheartedly agree!

Esp when it's in nice packaging (i.e. Anything but jewel case)

Guest mrguy

Digibooks and digipaks are so awesome.

But, I think the ultimate could be if all vinyl was releases with high quality download codes.

I don't have a player, but I would buy something like that cause having the artwork at that size would be awesome O_o

Digibooks and digipaks are so awesome.

But, I think the ultimate could be if all vinyl was releases with high quality download codes.

I don't have a player, but I would buy something like that cause having the artwork at that size would be awesome O_o

You are from New Zealand!

For shops: Real Groovy, JB Hi Fi, Marbecks.

Online: cdwow.co.nz (they don't charge for shipping but they don't have a lot of stuff), Bleep, Amazon (shipping can be pricey), Real Groovy's website, Fishpond.co.nz (I think they don't charge for shipping in NZ either).

Guest mrguy

I'm from Nelson, and we only have one shop (everyman records) and they only sell really mainstream stuff. :(

where are you from?

Yeah, I've used cdwow a LOT in the past, but I'm finding it harder to get stuff I like as my tastes become more obscure.

Last time I checked Fishpond charged for shipping....

Haven't checked real groovy in a long while...but I don't think they do much other than really mainstream stuff, either...

Guest mrguy

Just checked and fishpond is free when you order more than $50, and real groovy is very limited (you can't even buy something form the mint chikcs - one of NZ's most popular acts!)

Kranky

Root Strata

Thrill Jockey

Aquarius Records

Digitalis Recordings

and then occasionally Amazon, Bleep, Half.com.

Forced Exposure sucks.

Just checked and fishpond is free when you order more than $50, and real groovy is very limited (you can't even buy something form the mint chikcs - one of NZ's most popular acts!)

Ah right, I haven't bought from Real Groovy's website in years, I usually just go in store. I guess it's a lot easier when you live in Auckland.

If I'm after something REALLY obscure I usually just suck it up and pay whatever I have to on something like Bleep or Amazon. I've never bought from Boomkat before but there's so much obscure stuff on there and everyone seems to recommend them. Shipping from overseas normally costs around $8, but if you get 3 or 4 at a time then it's a lot more value for money (places like Amazon have a base shipping charge plus $2 per cd or something like that).

there aren't any good record stores around here that I know of :( there was one I visited and brought from a lot but it closed down last year. Don't suppose anybody knows of any good record stores in nottingham?

Do you mean Selectadisc? I was gutted to hear that place had shut. Not lived in Nottingham for a few years now, but as far as I know there aren't really, unless The Thatch knows of any...?

cdwow

That is a really strange store. I ordered "3 Telepathics Meh in-Sect Connection" from that store and it did free shipping from New Zealand to Belgium for an order of €13. (literally the other side of the world) I wonder how they make money.

Guest mrguy
cdwow

That is a really strange store. I ordered "3 Telepathics Meh in-Sect Connection" from that store and it did free shipping from New Zealand to Belgium for an order of €13. (literally the other side of the world) I wonder how they make money.

Do you in NZ and ordered from Belgium or the other way round?

They do have very good prices + free, fast an well packaged shipping.

They have several online stores for different countries, and I think they must have warehouses in several countries as I just got twoism, which was apparantly from hong kong, but I've had others from Switzerland (from memory)

Guest AcrossCanyons

there aren't any good record stores around here that I know of :( there was one I visited and brought from a lot but it closed down last year. Don't suppose anybody knows of any good record stores in nottingham?

Do you mean Selectadisc? I was gutted to hear that place had shut. Not lived in Nottingham for a few years now, but as far as I know there aren't really, unless The Thatch knows of any...?

yeah dude, selectadisc was the one. it was going to re-open at one point but then never did... sad :(

Archived