IGNORED

Where do you buy your music from?

Guest mrguy

Guest mrguy

So where do you buy your music from (if you even buy it)?

Do you download or get physical copies?

Do you support your local shop or find the cheapest store* you can online?

Share!

*I'm currently in the process of trying to find a cheap online store... (student)

boomkat and bleep tend to get the majority of my physical/digital orders these days. Sometimes ill go straight to other record labels if possible - eg planet mu - i like buying from the source if I can.

play.com and amazon still get the occasional order if its something more mainstream (or a good few quid cheaper).

My local record store gets a visit about once a month to see what they have in, problem with that is I work 8am - 6pm plus saturday mornings, which basically covers all of their opening hours.

Amazon mostly, the UK sellers are often great for both prices and delivery. Sometimes Bleep (often just for AE releases) and Boomkat very occasionally.

From the label site if they have a store, if not from bleep, juno and other stores that accept Paypal (fuck you boomkat). Mostly physical releases, mostly vinyl. Delivery prices vary enormously though. Sometimes it costs more to deliver than the actual product is worth, sometimes delivery is free. I don't watch prices that much anyway, mostly just order from the first site I can find it on.

EDIT: And Discogs marketplace is awesome.

I still buy 80% of music.

Mostly from Bleep, Discogs or Amazon, occasionaly ebay.

I steal music that is made by an artist that I usually don't care for and comes up with something I like. For example White Lie's Death, great tune but not sure if I care if I pay for it or not. Lots of bands in this catagory like The Killers, Foals etc.

There's no way on Earth my Autechre collection will resemble stolen data on a computer hard drive.

NZ is a great country but it's so far away it could be on the moon. I understand why you are asking this question. It's great if you love bunjee jumping but being a music fan must suck as nothing much happens.

Get a visa and come to Europe!

i want to hear about people stealing physical albums.

none of that pussy torrenting crap.

Bat out of Hell from Maidenhead library when I was about 14. Don't tell anyone!

Guest Greg Reason

I buy my vinyl from all over the place. Generally I try to buy directly from the artists so they get more money. For instance I buy Neurosis stuff from Neurot Recordings, The Black Dog from Dust Store, Coil stuff from Threshold House etc etc

I do go to Ebay and Discogs for second-hand stuff that is no longer available new

And I do download a hell of a lot of stuff. Tons. But anything that I love I will go and buy the vinyl of, so downloading mountains of albums has also meant that I have bought mountains of records. It's in direct proportion because I don't like to listen to music in a record shop, I need to relax and sit around on a couch and let it work it's thing so I can see whether I really want to spend the money... Vinyl is generally not cheap!

I do occasionally buy from local stores but this is increasingly rare nowadays. The only good record shop that sells new vinyl in Brisbane is Rocking Horse Records and the staff there are a bunch of cunts for the most part. Makes me want to avoid them thoroughly.

Guest ansgaria

A number of places, but a fair amount tend to close down over the years.

Stores:

GUF - a recordstore which had one hell of a selection and the most welcoming and enthusiastic employees, who were always up for a music chat. One reason I liked it was because a handful of the employees were just as crazy about Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree and everything around. It had to close down in may last year due to the financial crisis.

Accord - Secondhand recordstore which also have quite the selection. I tend to go down there once every two weeks to check for stuff, primarily Autechre, Aphex Twin and pretty much the whole electronic section. One of the employees also loves a lot of the same electronic music as me, so we chat a bit and the last 5 times I've been down there I've got some sort of discount. Only a matter of few bucks, but that's still fucking awesome.

Goldmine records - Independent secondhand store as well, some grumpy blues and jazz enthusiastic owns it and if you're not looking for anything that he likes, then he probably can't help you.

Fona 2000 - a general electronics store, but the '2000' version of the store is fucking huge and has a HUGE music section with pretty much everything you could wish for.

Smukstøj (Danish for 'beautiful noise') - Independent vinyl shop which deals with electronic, indie and experimental. Nice owner, also gives me some discount, but it's on its last days now it seems. He's having some 'survival sale' right now. If he don't sell enough, he's forced to close down. Fucking shame.

Online:

Bleep - you know.

Burningshed - Takes care of all my needs in terms of Porcupine Tree and new progressive music.

Tonefloat - Takes care of all my ambient/drone needs on vinyl pretty much.

Rockserwis - Polish store, pretty fucking cheap and has a nice selection of prog and alike.

Amazon - All-around good.

And occasionally ebay and the Discogs marketplace.

I buy my vinyl from all over the place. Generally I try to buy directly from the artists so they get more money. For instance I buy Neurosis stuff from Neurot Recordings, The Black Dog from Dust Store, Coil stuff from Threshold House etc etc

Yep, direct is always the best option if available. Forgot to mention all things Ghost Box from the GB online shop! (though I kind of wish they had American distro, it would be a lot cheaper)

2nd hand from amazon usually.

Yep, can get good bargains here.

LOL

after posting here I went on amazon to have a look round. Bought The Braindance Coincidence on CD for 1p.

LOL

after posting here I went on amazon to have a look round. Bought The Braindance Coincidence on CD for 1p.

Second hand on Amazon can sometimes bargain of the century or rip-off of the century. Not so long ago I was looking for some Autechre vinyl (can't remember the title). It was 50 pounds on Amazon and 15 pounds on Discogs. Generally the cd's are better value.

Got plenty of books second hand on Amazon for a penny, I presume they make something from the postage charge.

Guest Backson

i want to hear about people stealing physical albums.

none of that pussy torrenting crap.

Bat out of Hell from Maidenhead library when I was about 14. Don't tell anyone!

fuck yes! that is so boss!

LOL

Second hand on Amazon can sometimes bargain of the century or rip-off of the century. Not so long ago I was looking for some Autechre vinyl (can't remember the title). It was 50 pounds on Amazon and 15 pounds on Discogs. Generally the cd's are better value.

Got plenty of books second hand on Amazon for a penny, I presume they make something from the postage charge.

Meh its like £1 for postage. I bought the Port Rhombus EP too for 4 quid just to make it a worth while transaction.

Guest Greg Reason

If the item you are after is difficult to find, don't even bother looking on Amazon, they will screw you for all you are worth (and then some)

Guest AcrossCanyons

bleep and boomkat get a lot of purchases from me. problem is it's so bloody expensive from both. (inc. postage rates particularly).

get directly from the label often as possible (planet mu has been getting a lot of my money...)

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/vinyl for dubstep & drum and bass.

there aren't any good record stores around here that I know of :( there was one I visited and brought from a lot but it closed down last year. Don't suppose anybody knows of any good record stores in nottingham?

oh and recently I've brought quite a lot from ebay. out of print stuff mainly. got some great bargins (boards of canada, plaid etc for less than a fiver without shipping)

eMusic - great selection (if not quite current on some labels) and I have my subscription at the old rate cos I'm a longstanding customer. Get most of my stuff from here and have discovered lots of goodies i wouldn't have found anywhere else.

Bleep - excellent cd+mp3+WAV deals

Rephlex - nuff said

Amazon

Ebay

Guest Coalbucket PI

If I buy a digital release I usually look to buy it directly from the artist or label, next I would go to bleep because I've already got my card details saved there.

Sometimes buy vinyl cause I like to put some money into the music industry and I like to have something physical. Bleep, Norman Records, Juno, Amazon, eBay

i buy most of my records from the friendly neighborhood shops. they're good people and i like asking them what's new and awesome.

occasionally order direct from a label. often times you get free stuff in the mail that way, party, bonus

i buy vinyl wherever possible. mostly from Discogs (second hand), occasionally eBay if there's a bargain in good condition.

brand new, i'll buy from Bleep, DustStore (for The Black Dog releases), have bought one or two from Boomkat.

I generally buy from internet sites due to convenience, but I like visiting the dozen record shops that are around in my area. Every now and then, I take a train to nyc and go nuts.

Archived