IGNORED

why the fuck do we have a football sub-forum?

Guest blicero

I'd opt for another sub forum entitled (northern american sports - nas-car, rifle shooting, american handegg, baseballs, basketball, NHL Hockey Championship stanley cup playoff final,altheletics, indy-5000, scrambler jumping, skateboards, rollerskating)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I view the football subforum as a place to quarantine threads that I would never want to see cluttering up my general banter in the first place. It's like another nonsense/crap subforum but less interesting. :shuriken:

The footie subforum exists to identify those board users who are gays (i.e. those who moan about it and football in general).

j/k, I agree that it should actually be a boon for those people who don't want to otherwise trawl through loads of football shit in GB. I find though that the most effective way to avoid threads or subforums that don't interest me is to, like, not open them in the first place.

Guest maantecaaa!!!

hmmm, yes it seems The Overlook is being a bit of an idiot... I forget who he is - isn't he maanteeeccaaa or someone?

Hahaha, WTF? Where did you get that idea? The idea of dupe accounts is very stupid and pointless to me. Besides, I try to add value with my posts[eg, no rolling lol posts from me]. You take it back BCM.

Guest abusivegeorge

hmmm, yes it seems The Overlook is being a bit of an idiot... I forget who he is - isn't he maanteeeccaaa or someone?

fuck it anyway, interwebs serious business etc

Lol, he's Mirezzi.

It's not a dupe account, he just changed his name.

Guest Dirty Protest

Football is so culturally ingrained into society that people can not objectively look at it, and prefer attaching emotional connotations to it which gives rise to irrationalities/patriotism for their club. Football is the last of our social priorities -- too much money is in the "football industry" -- it ought to be taken by the Government and spent on social programs such as NHS/Psychological Rehabilitation/Cancer Research/Feeding everyone with no price tag etc.. it's a wasteful passion, football. I can't see how anyone can not understand this view point.

Are you advocating that I nick small boys jumpers for goalposts and give them to the charity research? Is there no place for fun amongst your cold hard life view? Stop playing with those yoyos kids and remember the atrocities in Nicaragua.

i dont have a problem with it but i think its bullshit that a sport gets a subforum and movies only get a pinned thread.

No one asked for/suggested a movie subforum!

I dunno about changing it to "sport" - then it really becomes a major sub-topic on WATMM, rather than a shared interest by a minority of members, and WATMM is not about sport to begin with.

Guest the anonymous forumite

i dont have a problem with it but i think its bullshit that a sport gets a subforum and movies only get a pinned thread.

WHAT ?? http://forum.watmm.com/topic/58067-movies-discussion-subforum/page__view__findpost__p__1375495

We seriously need a movies subforum, think about it, the possibility of having one thread per movie, to easily find the discussion on such and such, way more important and popular than football, although I don't mind the football subforum. The argument of having too many subforums is just too weak, if you're not interested in movies, just don't go there. There are many subforums I don't think are necessary here, therefore I don't go there and that's it.

C'mon.

sport and movies would be great sub-forums to General Banter. by putting them inside like the artist forums they are not getting a main topic or disturb the main music focus. you could even set them visible to members only so people are not confused

WHAT ?? http://forum.watmm.com/topic/58067-movies-discussion-subforum/page__view__findpost__p__1375495

We seriously need a movies subforum, think about it, the possibility of having one thread per movie, to easily find the discussion on such and such, way more important and popular than football, although I don't mind the football subforum. The argument of having too many subforums is just too weak, if you're not interested in movies, just don't go there. There are many subforums I don't think are necessary here, therefore I don't go there and that's it.

C'mon.

I meant nobody asked me DIRECTLY for it... I honestly didn't see that thread.

I guess a Movie/Television show subforum wouldn't be a bad thing... then again, as transient as movies are, they tend to get a bit of attention, then fade away after a bit - look at the Avatar thread, for example. Is anyone going to comment on that again? Possibly, but not likely. I think the pinned topic works better for movies since the thread's discussion is more in flow with the releases of movies than what a separate thread in a subforum would provide.

Anyone agree/disagree and can provide a compelling argument for/against?

C'mon.

I guess a Movie/Television show subforum wouldn't be a bad thing... then again, as transient as movies are, they tend to get a bit of attention, then fade away after a bit - look at the Avatar thread, for example. Is anyone going to comment on that again?

99% of the threads of this entire forum fade away and nobody comments on them again. Only a few are kept alive. It's a message board.

Contrary to ephemeral threads, movie threads can be resurected at any time, since people don't view the films at the same moment.

Guest Mirezzi

C'mon.

I guess a Movie/Television show subforum wouldn't be a bad thing... then again, as transient as movies are, they tend to get a bit of attention, then fade away after a bit - look at the Avatar thread, for example. Is anyone going to comment on that again? Possibly, but not likely. I think the pinned topic works better for movies since the thread's discussion is more in flow with the releases of movies than what a separate thread in a subforum would provide.

I think the pinned thread is great, with one exception. Maybe I just don't know how to use the search function, but I can't seem to get results from a search that actually shows posts. Instead, if I search for, let's say, "Charlie Kaufman", it just shows that thread without showing me a list of actual posts. In other words, I'd have to just click through every page to show "Charlie Kaufman" in highlights. Not very useful.

Am I doing it wrong?

C'mon.

I guess a Movie/Television show subforum wouldn't be a bad thing... then again, as transient as movies are, they tend to get a bit of attention, then fade away after a bit - look at the Avatar thread, for example. Is anyone going to comment on that again?

99% of the threads of this entire forum fade away and nobody comments on them again. Only a few are kept alive. It's a message board.

Contrary to ephemeral threads, movie threads can be resurected at any time, since people don't view the films at the same moment.

Yes, but when the topic's subject matter is the focus for a sub-forum, it matters if the threads contained within would need any sort of 'staying power' or not since once the thread is done, the fact it drops off into oblivion with little chance of being resurrected - in that case, I feel the subject matter does NOT need a subforum. Your point about movies being viewed by others at any time is valid, and there is some precedence where someone will bump a movie thread when they just get around to seeing it.

C'mon.

FREE LION

you can approach this differently..is there anyone bothered by the countless movie and tv threads in gen ban or feeling uncomfortable making such threads in gen ban? doubt it, i think its a pretty universal interest highly integrated into RL..unlike football which many don't like so it kinda made sense hiding it..although i doubt it'll break one page in the near future

Am I doing it wrong?

yep, in advanced search you can get results displayed as posts

Yes, but1) when the topic's subject matter is the focus for a sub-forum, it matters if the threads contained within 2) would need any sort of 'staying power' or not since once 3) the thread is done, the fact it drops off into oblivion with little chance of being resurrected - in that case, I feel the subject matter does NOT need a subforum.

You lost me. Can you rephrase with examples ?

1) What do you mean ?

2) What do you mean ?

3) A movie thread cannot be done, unless it is locked for some reason.

Yes, but1) when the topic's subject matter is the focus for a sub-forum, it matters if the threads contained within 2) would need any sort of 'staying power' or not since once 3) the thread is done, the fact it drops off into oblivion with little chance of being resurrected - in that case, I feel the subject matter does NOT need a subforum.

1) What do you mean ?

2) What do you mean ?

ok, I think I got what you're saying: that opening a movies subforum only depends on the ability of threads staying alive ?

If so, then, as I said, movie threads have a lot less chances to die than internet memes thread, "I'm in love" threads, netscape 4.0 help, check out this video/link thread, etc...

1) What do you mean ?

2) What do you mean ?

Sorry, I was having a conversation with a co-worker and typing at the same time when I wrote that - probably didn't come out the way I wanted/expected.

1) I mean rather than the subject of a thread being "recently watched movies" that a subforum is called that or something similar.

2) I meant that if we did have a movie subforum, the threads I feel may be "one time" threads, and once interest for a particular movie died off, the thread would be abandoned. True, this happens in General Banter all the time, but there is enough fresh topics to mitigate that whereas there may not be enough movies (and television shows if we were to cover that gamut as well) to keep the forum 'alive' enough to warrant it's existance. Sport discussions are a bit different as even with occasional events like the World Cup, people still can go back and debate things after the fact for years afterwards - I just don't see that with movies.

Does that clarify things a bit?

Archived