IGNORED

Recommend me some of the scariest movies you've seen

chassis

Guest Calx Sherbet

there's so many levels: phobic, jumpy, intellectual, etc.

any horror that requires thinking is scary. especially the kinds of things you never see on camera, but have to imagine. and when you finally put it together, you piss brix.

then you're thinking about it every day for like a week month.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Calx Sherbet

Jesus Camp

Holy fuck did this movie scare the shit out of me. No lie.

lol, this takes place in devils lake ND?

Lost Highway & Mulholland Drive - These movies still scare me to death each time I watch them.

I recommend these, particularly Lost Highway. The first half of that film has this constant building sense of dread.

The second half of the film has this constant sense of

MY-HEAD-IS-FULL-OF-FUCK.jpg

With Mulholland Drive that behind-the-wall poopoo monster completely scared the shit outta me, but know that I've seen it a few times I just laugh at his smelly face :D

Yeah, the diner scene really freaked me out the first time I watched it - actually, it still freaks me out. It just comes out of nowhere.

Lost Highway & Mulholland Drive - These movies still scare me to death each time I watch them.

certain scenes in both of those movies are absolutely terrifying. The phone-call scene from lost highway 'i'm at your house right now' made me afraid of the dark for month after i saw it.

of course the opening scene in the diner to Muholland Drive is still one of the creepiest things Lynch has ever done.

Inland Empire and Eraserhead are his most creepy movies for me, i feel deeply uncomfortable almost for the entire duration of both movies

I watched Inland Empire at the movies and I felt absolutely awful afterwards. I think it's the manic switches between comedic scenes and absolutely horrifying cinema that left such a huge impact on me. It's like a rollercoaster ride that starts out kinda fun and after a while you just wanna get off.

The bedroom scene in Lost Highway is still the most horrifying scene I've ever watched.

Didn't we have a thread like this a bit ago?

Anyway, yeah, in my adult life very few films actually scare me, but the first half of Lost Highway is one of them. And that diner scene in Mulholland. Fucking CREEPY.

Other than that a couple of films that scared me when I first watched them, but probably wouldn't so much now (these are already mentioned I believe):

A Tale of Two Sisters

Event Horizon

In the Mouth of Madness

Session 9 (re-watched this recently - not as scary as upon first viewing, but I still like it)

Audition

The Haunted. A TV movie that was released in 1991. It is up on YouTube.

A 90's TV-movie. Sounds good but also makes me think of Langoliers (lol). What's special about this one (no spoilers, I might want to watch!) ... ?

Cube is also nice. It did scare me when I first saw it, mostly the atmosphere is very oppressive, and the soundtrack (especially the thing playing during the end credits) is so fitting. It's one great example for doing the best with the low budget you got. But I gotta say the prequel is also pretty shit. The original was great because

it doesn't reveal shit in the end and you are left with the assumptions of the characters about what the hell the thing is actually about. I always pretend I haven't seen Cube Zero or Hypercube not to let Cube get ruined by their silly background story explanation. In fact I've forgotten most about them ...

Jacob's Ladder has also been mentioned, it's pretty insane too.

blair witch project bothers me every time i see it. there is yet to be any work of art that truly disturbs me like it does.

When I have to pick one single favorite film of mine, it's this one, as I haven't been so scared by a movie on any other occasion. Today it doesn't scare me anymore since I must have watched it over 30 times and I know pretty much every line and shot by heart ... but I still love it. Watch it every autumn.

What about this?

1280_paranormal-activity-thumb-728x409-1460.jpg

(Paranormal Activity) - It didn't scare me all that much, but it's definitely got a certain creepiness about it. Plus having witnessed some unexplained phenomena in real life, I found the film captures the feeling quite well that goes along with it, in a more mature way than many do it. I enjoyed watching it, although it was not BWP, quality-wise.

Also Poltergeist.

Guest abusivegeorge

Jacob's ladder is fantastic and plays on the emotion of fear within ones mind. Taunts on the psychological very well.

Taunt is the wrong word I think.

Finding it hard to describe this film.

Just watch it, it's excellent.

Paranormal Activity isnt scary.

i thought the scene where

she wakes up in the middle of the night and just stands there for hours was kinda eerie, that's the kind of "scary" i like, people behaving in weird unexpected ways. also when she was

dragged out of bed was pretty crazy, but not really scary, overall the movie was shite though, and the ending just made me go "seriously? that's how you're gonna end it?". 2/10

Cube is badass.

Pet Semetary was pretty scary.

I did enjoy Saw II, though in a weird, "I definitely don't ever want to see this again, but I don't regret watching it." kind of way.

I dunno though. Nothing really scares me that much movie-wise and most of the shit people call "scary" is really just shit that makes you jump or makes you sick. Fuck thrillers and gore flicks for the most part.

Haters gon' hate, but the only movie that ever scared me was Signs. Pretty great cinematography IMO. No building dissonant strings, no over-the-top effects, no spastic camera bullshit. Just good suspense that gave me chills the whole time.

In before shitstorm.

I think this teleplay only shares the namesakes of The Cube (though not having the '97 film maybe it does share more in common), but it's a great little film all the same. Not so much scary as generally claustrophobic and creepy in concept -

Give it a try !

Cube is badass.

Pet Semetary was pretty scary.

I did enjoy Saw II, though in a weird, "I definitely don't ever want to see this again, but I don't regret watching it." kind of way.

I dunno though. Nothing really scares me that much movie-wise and most of the shit people call "scary" is really just shit that makes you jump or makes you sick. Fuck thrillers and gore flicks for the most part.

Haters gon' hate, but the only movie that ever scared me was Signs. Pretty great cinematography IMO. No building dissonant strings, no over-the-top effects, no spastic camera bullshit. Just good suspense that gave me chills the whole time.

In before shitstorm.

no shitstorm, all things you pointed out about signs are true. why saw II though?

btw I only saw event horizon once but what I remember is pretty cheesy and dull actually

no shitstorm, all things you pointed out about signs are true. why saw II though?

btw I only saw event horizon once but what I remember is pretty cheesy and dull actually

Yay! Most people just hate on Shyamalan.

Saw II had some interesting engineering and it was, to me, a kind of abstract shock art. There were just terrible terrible things to have happen to you that you normally wouldn't even consider, such as the pit of syringes for the former user and the bladed raccoon trap box that has the antidote. Fucked up shit. I took a girl to that movie for a date. It was weird.

Event Horizon, meh.

The Haunted. A TV movie that was released in 1991. It is up on YouTube.

A 90's TV-movie. Sounds good but also makes me think of Langoliers (lol). What's special about this one (no spoilers, I might want to watch!) ... ?

it is creepy.

Yay! Most people just hate on Shyamalan.

Saw II had some interesting engineering and it was, to me, a kind of abstract shock art. There were just terrible terrible things to have happen to you that you normally wouldn't even consider, such as the pit of syringes for the former user and the bladed raccoon trap box that has the antidote. Fucked up shit. I took a girl to that movie for a date. It was weird.

Event Horizon, meh.

Signs is good, I also like The Village. It's only after that one that he started making weird decisions ... but I'll still try to see his new one in cinema (not the avatar one though)

syringe pit was a crazy idea but all in all Saw II sucks compared to I

Man, when she is writhing and screeching with the light shining behind her and the priest looking up at her with the demon statue in the shot, I always nearly shit myself! :wtf:

This and the subliminal shots. Sound design is disturbing as well, especially in the opening sequence in Iraq. The reinserted Spider Walk is horrible. Whole thing is a fucking unsettling experience even to this day for me.

prince_of_darkness.jpg

john carpenters prince of darkness

Yes, especially the dream sequence. That film scared me each time I watched it.

I really loved Prince of Darkness when I first saw it as a kid. Totally freaked me out and I remember being haunted by the whole dream/subliminal future messages portion. To the point where I spent a lot of my adult life wondering what this movie was I'd seen as a kid, and whether or not I had just dreamed it. I finally found it and watched it again about 5 years ago and it seemed laughable in parts, and not nearly as terrifying (though the whole "transmitting from the future" shit is still awesome as fuck).

I think this is the problem - the more you see, and the older you get, the harder it is to be scared by things. Like, the first time I saw Jacob's ladder it terrified me to pieces, but that was partly because I hadn't ever seen anything like it before. Same thing with Nightmare on Elm street, but you watch that now and it's severely diminished, just because all the old scare tactics are done to death so you're expecting them. Another example would be "The Ring" - saw it in the theatre and it certainly made me cover my eyes like the pussy I am, but now any Japanese style horror film just doesn't frighten me (holy fuck! Is that another pale-skinned, bare-footed, japanese chick with long hair obscuring her face?!!! Prepare for staggered jump cut of her walking towards the camera sir!)

Probably the reason why Lost Highway and all of Lynch's shit terrifies me the most - nobody else's shit looks/sounds/feels like it, so it's a lot easier for me to not know what to expect.

Sad, though, as I miss the days when a shadowed hallway and a boo-scare was enough to give me a near heart attack.

Signs is good, I also like The Village. It's only after that one that he started making weird decisions ... but I'll still try to see his new one in cinema (not the avatar one though)

syringe pit was a crazy idea but all in all Saw II sucks compared to I

Agreed.

And yeah, I hear that a lot. I just can't muster the guts to watch Saw I. Maybe some day.

Archived