IGNORED

Bioluminescent Trees and Plants

murve33

Was reading some random magazine about lights and LEDs at work a couple months ago, and I saw a short article about Bioluminescence. Apparently they want to take Firefly DNA and make plants glow.

Los Links!

An article: http://www.nextnature.net/2009/07/bioluminescent-trees-will-replace-streetlights/

A Glowing Xmas Tree: http://www.isbc.unibo.it/Files/IM_013.htm

You wouldn't even need to pay for lights anymore. You'd buy a couple glowing houseplants and you'd be set.

I also just remembered that they're developing walls that are made of tiny LEDs, so you wouldn't have light coming from a single source. Obviously not affordable right now, but that would be so amazing.

Guest happycase

You wouldn't even need to pay for lights anymore. You'd buy a couple glowing houseplants and you'd be set.

Why pay for glowing houseplants...

090514-02-glowing-monkey_big.jpg

when glowing monkeys are so cute!

Guest ansgaria

Imagine the senior citizens driving on the road some day and a bunch of glowing trees are visible on each side of the road. They'll crash and die.

Imagine the senior citizens driving on the road some day and a bunch of glowing trees are visible on each side of the road. They'll crash and die.

More room for us.

Guest ansgaria

More room for us.

And for bioluminescent trees.

Guest ruiagnelo

this is a very interesting idea, but far from being explored.

i want to see how we will be able to control the amount of light that the plants are giving at a certain time..

That's the problem, the amount is fuck all. We're better off have stored charge and emitting like through those oled walls etc. Morphing nanomachines rather than soon to be inefficient biological systems.

i want to see how we will be able to control the amount of light that the plants are giving at a certain time..

That's what I've been thinking. I think right now the only practical use would be having glowing houseplants in your home (You could put a cover over them if you want them "off"), or having a glowing Christmas tree during the holidays.

Street lights is a little far-fetched, but it could possibly happen in the semi-near future. If this technology actually took off.

Guest ruiagnelo

That's what I've been thinking. I think right now the only practical use would be having glowing houseplants in your home (You could put a cover over them if you want them "off"), or having a glowing Christmas tree during the holidays.

Street lights is a little far-fetched, but it could possibly happen in the semi-near future. If this technology actually took off.

so i guess we can say that, at the moment, these plants would serve no more than DECORATION purposes only.

street light are in fact very powerful and consume a lot of energy, so i think it's kind of utopic, if you ask me.

I meant the houseplants could be used as a light source, and decoration too. Street lights emit a lot of light, I guess I don't know how much light these trees are capable of emitting.

If they are capable of producing a lot of light, I suppose using them as streetlights isn't that far-fetched. I'm sure it would decrease light pollution a lot too.

Yes, definitely Utopian.

Archived