IGNORED

good 5.1 albums

modey

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't know how i feel about albums that were in stereo being put to 5.1 . The downward spiral surround sound redux demystified a lot of the sound palette for me, once the layers were more separated i felt like the dense feeling of some of the tracks disappeared. I haven't heard any of bjorks stuff this way. the only time i thought it made sense was the Beatles dvd boxset, they have a few remixed tracks on there. Most of them were tracks that were hard panned to begin with (guitars in left channel, drums in right channel) so it was just an extension of that. I suppose it can be done a bunch of different ways but i think in some cases it's not an improvement.

Someone on demonoid.com made a 5.1 homebrew of Autechre's Untilted. Seems like it would take a while to download but maybe worth it?

i don't know how i feel about albums that were in stereo being put to 5.1 . The downward spiral surround sound redux demystified a lot of the sound palette for me, once the layers were more separated i felt like the dense feeling of some of the tracks disappeared. I haven't heard any of bjorks stuff this way. the only time i thought it made sense was the Beatles dvd boxset, they have a few remixed tracks on there. Most of them were tracks that were hard panned to begin with (guitars in left channel, drums in right channel) so it was just an extension of that. I suppose it can be done a bunch of different ways but i think in some cases it's not an improvement.

yeah, it's a bit of a gimmick in some ways, but some are done really well - for example, the peter gabriel era genesis albums, a lot of that stuff has a lot of layers, and the 5.1 mixes really bring out a lot of sounds that were previously hidden. same with the talking heads reissues. i haven't given the downward spiral a proper listen yet!

Someone on demonoid.com made a 5.1 homebrew of Autechre's Untilted. Seems like it would take a while to download but maybe worth it?

yeah i saw one of oversteps too.. alas it's in DTS format and i dunno if i have a player that can decode that (i'm using a creative x-fi surround card with analog logitech speakers for now so no digital outputs).

does it say anything about how it was made? if you aren't working with a multitrack source and trying to make a 5.1 mix out of stereo i can't imagine it sounding very good

does it say anything about how it was made? if you aren't working with a multitrack source and trying to make a 5.1 mix out of stereo i can't imagine it sounding very good

have a look at this website - i couldn't really focus my attention on it long enough to understand how it works but apparently there's a way to do it with plogue bidule or something:

http://surroundbyus.com/

cool, let me know how you go - i'd be interested in hearing your results. i'm currently downloading the oversteps one, and will see if i can get foobar or winamp to play it somehow.

don't mean to hijack your thread but now that were talking about making surround mixes, do you know of any wave editing software that supports 4 or 5 channel wave/aiff files? apparently the new version of adobe audition does but it's not out yet.

don't mean to hijack your thread but now that were talking about making surround mixes, do you know of any wave editing software that supports 4 or 5 channel wave/aiff files? apparently the new version of adobe audition does but it's not out yet.

not sure. the way i'm gonna do it is by just recording as normal in reaper then exporting each separate track into another program to mix it in 5.1 and export to ac3 format. i just acquired adobe cs4 collection, soundbooth seems to be able to do basic 5.1 mixing.

as for native multichannel file support, no idea!

i have 2 raster noton dvds (insen live & utp by sakamoto/noto), both have 5.1 mixes

oh awesome, i love the sakamoto/noto stuff. i'll definitely have to check them out.

wow how come Surrounded by Tipper has not been recommended yet?!?!?!

http://www.discogs.com/Tipper-Surrounded/release/144009

This is an absolute electronic audio heaven. Listening to it in stereo was amazing but hearing it in 5.1 surround sound blow my head off! This album sets standards for the future of surround albums. i felt so much emotion has gone into this project. Big up Tipper!

The 2.1 version is epic to start with. I reckon the 5.1 version is mindblowing!

so would people say that true 5.1 mastered albums are better than the stereo ones?

for the ones i've heard, i'd say its 50/50. The Richie hawtin one is amazing. In the regular stereo version he's mixing up to 5-6 loops at once at some points, so having it in surround separates those layers out more to each channel so you can actually hear them. Along with the awesome use of 5.1 , the DVD video portion is a very minimalist but utilitarian animated list of tracks that are playing. As richie fades in the volume to a new loop, a new title and track will fade in on the screen. It's basically the best DJ mix hard copy release i have ever listened to,

i'm in the process of downloading the homebrew dts mix of oversteps. had a bit of a listen, it sounds pretty strange. it's pretty obvious in parts that it was extrapolated into 5.1, there are artifacts here and there. gonna wait until it's finished before forming a solid opinion on it though.

• 2 years later...

The Richie Hawtin DE9 surround is amazing

Just bumping to say I finally found this album in a store today, and it's fucking awesome! I still need more 5.1 album recommendations; I've been neglecting my setup for far too long. It's good for gaming but I never play games anymore!

Guest jasondonervan

The Björk 5.1 set is really nice if you've not already got it. I had it as a leaving gift from a job when it came out.

surrounded__01.jpg

ooh cool! I'd love to hear Vespertine and Homogenic in 5.1!

Man, this Richie Hawtin mix is melting my balls. Only at the halfway point and its fucking intense!

Guest jasondonervan

Vespertine is sharp as a set of steak knifes in 5.1. I haven't put them on for a while, I shall rectify that shortly!

Archived