IGNORED

good 5.1 albums

modey

finally got a 5.1 system (mostly for working on 5.1 mixes of new/existing songs of mine), can anyone recommend some good albums/music dvds that use surround sound well?

so far i have:

nin - downward spiral

a whole bunch of genesis reissues

peter gabriel - video collection dvd

porcupine tree - lightbulb sun (still haven't actually listened to it yet, lol)

like i said, i'm working on some multichannel stuff so would like to see what i'm up against! i'd love to hear some really mindfuck-y electronic stuff in 5.1 - my plan is to first release a 5.1 ambient album, then maybe some 5.1 mixes of rooftop access stuff, or some 5.1 idm.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ooh good call.

might pick up the talking heads 5.1 boxset too. heard the mix of speaking in tongues at my friend's place once and it was amazing.

would be nice to hear some more obscure prog stuff in 5.1 too, like eloy or something

Guest Wall Bird

As was alluded to, The last four Flaming Lips albums were remixed in 5.1. I own both 'The Soft Bulletin' in that format and to this day I have yet to get the chance to listen to them as such. Lame.

Braintree did a nice 5.1 mix of a track he wrote. You should ask him to send it to you.

You should also look into Stockhausen and see if his multi-channel recordings were ever released in a commercial format. For example, I know that 'Kontakte' was composed for quad, but converted to stereo for obvious reasons. Come to think of it. All of those academic electronic composers from the 60s to the 80s are sure to have multi-channel compositions.

Edit: Ooooh! I just remembered that Queen's 'A Night at the Opera' was mixed for 5.1 at some point.

i did a thread a loooong time ago about this same subject and i got a few good recommendations here. The Richie Hawtin DE9 surround is amazing, MBM- in dub = fantastic , if you like Amon Tobin his splinter cell soundtrack is 5.1.

edit: there is a Kyma users compilation thats all in 5.1, i forgot the title of it but it's pretty great

I just did a search and couldn't find my old thread :(

Amon Tobin's Chaos Theory soundtrack is nice in 5.1

Optofonica (a 5.1 dvd compilation on 12k's LINE sublabel).

These two should also be watched, not just listened to.

Cornelius - Drop (dvd).

Transforma & O.S.T. - Synken.

Guest bitroast

i have:

beck - sea change

beck - guero

flaming lips - soft bulletin

flaming lips - yoshimi battles the pink robots

flaming lips - at war with the mystics

haven't listen to any of them on a 5.1 system tho:)

Guest disparaissant

ive been dying to check out the knife - silent shout audio/visual experience thing, that album is amazing and it would be great in 5.1 i'd wager.

ive been dying to check out the knife - silent shout audio/visual experience thing, that album is amazing and it would be great in 5.1 i'd wager.

Is that the live cd + dvd thing? I have that. It's pretty sweet indeed.

Richie Hawtin - Transitions. DVD packed with the CD has an extended (96 minute) 5.1 surround sound mix, with cool subtitle video thing showing when he is mixing tracks in and out. Awesome mix, turn it up LOUD.

Also, LTJ Bukem's Planet Earth is a 5.1 surround mix if you want some liquid D&B :)

Amon Tobin's Chaos Theory soundtrack is nice in 5.1

Optofonica (a 5.1 dvd compilation on 12k's LINE sublabel).

These two should also be watched, not just listened to.

Cornelius - Drop (dvd).

Transforma & O.S.T. - Synken.

is the OST audio in 5.1? i thought it was only stereo. Great release though

Guest ansgaria

You've already got one Porcupine Tree record. Go ahead and finish it off, man. And get some 5.1 drone, Bass Communion - 'Pacific Codex'. Deep.

Orbital - The Altogether DVD

Namlook/Inoue - 2350 Broadway 4 (Namlook had also done some other 5.1 collabs but I don't have them)

J.M.Jarre - Aero (not the best versions of his classics but the 5.1 is used to good effect on some tracks)

Lemon Jelly - 64-95

Kraftwerk Live DVD (nuff said)

thanks for the recommendations guys! keep 'em coming. anyone know if there's any raster noton stuff in 5.1?

i really hope it becomes more of a standard than a gimmick. i'm going to use it to make sure that when people buy a physical copy of my releases through bandcamp they'll get something a little more interesting than just the stereo wavs burned to a cd. i'll probably do this until i can convince a record label to release my stuff on vinyl, hehe.

Archived