IGNORED

suicide note

pattern recognition

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved good and loud tunes, friends and girlfriends and other worldly pleasures too much and hated depression and anxiety...I did everything opposite of this guy to avoid his conclusions: take psychotropics, get married, leave the liberal arts and get a piece-of-piss nursing degree just so I can...be able to listen to loud music and get drunk and fuck and love family and friends before I have to get off the train--wherever it came from or whoever built it or if there's anyone at the helm.

i think this is a brilliant summary of how a lot of us feel. i know you nailed me at least.

i've always been captivated by people who are so certain of everything in life to the point they are willing to go to such extremes. maybe i live (or die) vicariously through them.

all good points xxx. But this guy was a major asshat attention whore. White suit, silver gun, doing it in front of a crowd of people, mailing a cd of his ramblings to his relatives.

And he was mentally ill, I think it does go back to his father's death but I wouldn't be surprised if there was more there. Molestation, or his father actually killed himself but the family called it heart attack, or at the very least the son was up close and personal when his dad died. Some sort of deep and lasting trauma, mark my words...

all good points xxx. But this guy was a major asshat attention whore. White suit, silver gun, doing it in front of a crowd of people, mailing a cd of his ramblings to his relatives.

And he was mentally ill, I think it does go back to his father's death but I wouldn't be surprised if there was more there. Molestation, or his father actually killed himself but the family called it heart attack, or at the very least the son was up close and personal when his dad died. Some sort of deep and lasting trauma, mark my words...

Definitely agree with the mentally ill part, even if I think a lot of his beliefs were right.

There's no way to say it without sounding all dramatic (not that I intend it), but I also believe life is meaningless. However killing yourself because of that seems a bit ridiculous, he thought the universe owed him a meaning to his life and clearly couldn't quite handle that. I'm not knowledgable in the mental health field or anything but it sounds a bit like egomania to me.

I prefer the thought that life is meaningless so you should make meaning for yourself, however he seems to want to take meaning from other peoples lives by promoting his book in such an absurd way.

I wonder what conclusions he's drawing from his experiment? Oh wait, he's dead so I suppose he's not around to jot that down.

Selected Bibliography

(What suicide note would be complete without a

bibliography?)

from the book's overview.

This must seem to be an awful thing to say but I'm quite impressed by Mitchell Heisman.

life is a cosmological accident, no one is at the wheel and there is no "soul" or "human" or "right and wrong"--just a massively complex set of behaviors shaped by reinforcement or punishment and strictly bound by situation only; nothing absolute or universal.

but brother: thou art that.

Ordinary people seem not to realize that those

who really apply themselves in the right way to

philosophy are directly and of their own accord

preparing themselves for dying and death. If this

is true, and they have actually been looking

forward to death all their lives, it would of course

be absurd to be troubled when the thing comes

for which they have so long been preparing and

looking forward.

—SOCRATES, PHAEDO

I'm not sure how this condones suicide. When the thing comes.

I read to page 25. Half of that was the shock-value contents.

Hitler by Joachim C fest has 844 pages and its one of the biggest books on my self.

if i add a stephen king novel in to the mix and make it 1,905 pages long. that would probably be a better book then this guy who killed himself, and after all, being a nihilist he wouldn't really mind me comparing his life work to a Stephen king novel.

omg I am going to tweak his story to fit in my post-terraformed-solar system RPG. he is gonna be one of the early ascended to the metaverse with his ego intact who finds young philosopher vestiges to bind with. It will give him like +5 wisdom and +4 intelligence

Archived