IGNORED

sorry to make a boring as fuck help thread but

pcock

in the uk, any ideas on whats best, id like unlimted internet for around 20 pound a month, and i dont have a phoneline and i dont intend to. is this possible?

yeah mobile "broadband" dongles are comprehensively shit. net with no land line? I think you're pretty much limited to sky or virgin media. sky is the best of the two but you probably need to sign up for the tv and stuff too...

Guest futuregirlfriend

I only have experience with Virgin Media, but I'll tell you how it's been with them. I'm on the cheapest connection (10Mb), during the day there are periods where you can only download so much (check the website for figures per package) 10am-3pm, 3-4 is a happy hour, 4pm-9pm, go nuts at night. If you go over the limit they throttle you for up to five hours. You could probably maintain a good ratio on torrent trackers, personally I don't really bother with them. What they do give you, though, is free usenet access with 7 day retention. What this is, if you haven't used it before, is a direct connection to various news servers in the .nl full of pirated booty. It was a few years before I learnt that they offered it. Once the files are over 7 days old you won't be able to download them. I've never really had a problem with this, I just keep an eye (nsfw)on a few websites that aggregate the uploads. I can easily download over 100 gig a week, never had a complaint. Schedule downloads to start at 3pm and stop at 4:15pm, eat the throttle punishment and blam start at 9pm again. Good: Usenet, seemingly unlimited downloads. Bad: Throttling though I don't know how avoidable that is nowadays, probably not the cheapest about.

BE were going to start doing their own landline thing, negating the need for a BT landline. But it's still a landline. Why don't you want a landline?

becasue you have to pay extra rental on the landline,i thuinjk. i dunno. il comeback when im m not wankered

Im with virgin have been since they were NTL.

I dont have a phoneline/landline,mobile,sky,or any sort of tv.It costs me a ridiculous £24.99 a month plus I get charged ten pounds a month for not having a direct debit account set up.However I do get unlimited broadband,unlimited downloads and seemingly no slow periods although sometimes the wireless seems slow so I just whack the ethernet cable in for however long.

isnt really any way to bypass getting a landline, all other options are even more expensive, just get a basic line from bt and never use it

hopefully the monopoly they have over it will be broken soon, its such a pain in the ass

Do you know about Dynamic line Management ?

DLM is great. If your router is dropping the connection, that may be because your line is unstable. Consequently, DLM will drop your speed a little bit to improve stability so your router doesn't drop the connection anymore.

but this guy is a cunt. I recently got DLMed on the highest possible level: instead of having a 8Mb connection i only had 2Mb. Hopefully my dad works for our ISP so he talked to the right guy and my connection is ok now.

Also when ISPs say they provide, say, a 8Mb bandwidth, it's actually an ATM speed (with very low level datas) : you have to substract around 20% to have the actual IP speed. So if you're lucky, with a so-called 8mb speed you probably won't be able to download at more than 800mo/s.

So i would say, try to find the best ISP in your area. Also be suspicious when an ISP tells you the first month is free of charge. It's because it will take them 1 month to set up the line/send you the router.

I pay £30 a month for my bt land line + all landline calls, £10 a month for a "20meg" connection from O2 and £50 a month for my iPhone contract. £90 a month on comms and data....sheesh.

I pay £30 a month for my bt land line + all landline calls, £10 a month for a "20meg" connection from O2 and £50 a month for my iPhone contract. £90 a month on comms and data....sheesh.

WHAT

Archived