IGNORED

psychologists / spiritual teachers

Guest happycase

threads like this remind me watmm is still a pretty dandy little oasis :beer:

tumblr_lafdjwjagb1qajsgwo1_500.jpg

you have to admit though, SR4 and Happycase making peace in a thread on psychology and spirituality is :wtf: :sup:

what are you saying exactly? :wink:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hate my life and i want to die.

honestly taking a look at suffering is a good start to realizing whats really going on in this place. first we must see what the world and this experience isn't

to then know it for what it is. if we naively celebrate life just based on the positive things it allows us then we are not seeing

what is really going on. things need to change, we all need to be changed but first we must be made to see what it

means to allow ourselves to be changed and understand what it is that will do the changing.

quite possible the most destructive aspects of many so called spiritual paths and spiritual teachers is dishonesty (some don't even know they are being dishonest)

and candy coating. it's hard to gain a following if one speaks the truth because the fact is that the truth is disturbing and not what most

people want to hear. most spiritual figures will soften the truth or make it more palatable, more interesting to the worldly senses.

some completely change the truth or come from a place of 100% self-invention.

that is not passing the flame and keeping it lit as we are meant to do, it is instead putting it out and screwing in a lightbulb.

troon, i know you think that everyone is under you and blind and needs to wake up, and i lol every time you post something ambiguously ambiguous to try to make a point.

Would be interesting to see some discussions going on in this thread about psychologists/theories that people may currently be reading up on. Maybe discussions over interesting theories or claims?

I'm reading up on a lot of John Watson at the moment

He seems to really emphasise throughout his career the need for psychology to be reoriented toward the perspectives of "Behaviourism" - a field of study which included contributions by B.F. Skinner whereby the core understanding is that environment helps to shape a lot of the behaviour animals convey (of course this goes for humans as well) therefore all that should be analysed is the behaviour (output result) of people in relation to the environment they have been conditioned by.

Interesting claim that Watson makes: He explains that from a very early age, when young children (between the ages of 1-2 years) begin learning to 'verbalise' the world around them, slowly building up a vocabulary beginning with nouns and moving on from there after 2 years of age. He says that from his own observations, a lot of children think aloud, meaning that when they're beginning to verbalise their world surrounding them, they talk to themselves to further understand situations and objects in the environment. Parents and society have the ability to suppress this "thinking aloud" by claiming it is socially abnormal for an individual to talk to themselves.. so then children naturally (according Watson) talk to their dolls and toys instead, as if these inanimate objects are their audience - and here we witness the suppressing tendencies of society on the mind of a child which Watson describes as unhealthy.

I think the processes that come with verablising the world around you and thinking aloud to help you better understand things should be encouraged from an early age .. otherwise that child could develop a mindset where they hide their inner emotions and feelings about given social situations later in life, and may find it harder to effectively explain their personal psychology to others.

bread thats very interesting. there are so many aspects that are suppressed in young children. the first ten years of a child's development sets

most of the major themes for their lives. it's said that it would be best for a child to interact with all that is primarily nonlinear for the first ten years.

linear thinking is destructive, especially for a young mind and program's it in the wrong way, linear types of education are pushed

on children at far to young an age. 1-10 is for dreaming, it's for learning how to dream, how to think about things that are not

inside the square of beginnings and endings. young people need to be given the freedom to develop eternal consciousness

outside the false boundaries of time and space.

bread thats very interesting. there are so many aspects that are suppressed in young children. the first ten years of a child's development sets

most of the major themes for their lives. it's said that it would be best for a child to interact with all that is primarily nonlinear for the first ten years.

linear thinking is destructive, especially for a young mind and program's it in the wrong way, linear types of education are pushed

on children at far to young an age. 1-10 is for dreaming, it's for learning how to dream, how to think about things that are not

inside the square of beginnings and endings. young people need to be given the freedom to develop eternal consciousness

outside the false boundaries of time and space.

The false boundaries of time and space? Are you fucking kidding me?

Now I want you to define non-linear vs. linear thinking.

i think the thing that fucked me up more as a kid is other fucking kids. I wish there were schools where the kids are screened so i wouldnt have been placed in a prison with a sand box full of little jerks

Guest hahathhat

i think the thing that fucked me up more as a kid is other fucking kids. I wish there were schools where the kids are screened so i wouldnt have been placed in a prison with a sand box full of little jerks

i agree... and that was just in the schoolyard. back in the schoolhouse, they also did their best to ruin art, science, and many other things.

most accurate definition:

nonlinear = spirit

linear = mind + body

less accurate definition but still a good example:

nonlinear = right brain

linear = left brain

Guest happycase

Troon you should read Trungpa's "Cutting through Spiritual Materialism." He does a good job murdering your spiritual ego by showing you everything about it. Moralism and this degree of certainty in your spirituality is one of the most intense and thoroughly rigid ways for an ego to preserve and strengthen itself. In my opinion there are issues around mirroring and narcissistic wounds that you are covering up by being spiritual.

most accurate definition:

nonlinear = spirit

linear = mind + body

less accurate definition but still a good example:

nonlinear = right brain

linear = left brain

bah hah hah hah hah.

you could at least try.

Guest happycase

the irony of taking any given situation to be Utmostly Serious when there is only ordinariness to go around. just the yummy and fantastically big ordinary.

if you have itunes podcasts check out the "Zencast" series.

i've begun to listen to these while i'm laying in bed getting set to fall asleep. it's a good tool to add to your arsenal.

seriously, do a search on itunes.

EDIT:

listen to jazz

Archived