IGNORED

PS3 Unlocked?

Guest Adjective

Guest Adjective
The 27th annual Chaos Communication Conference already hacked encrypted GSM calls with a $15 cellphone, but there was a second surprise in store this morn -- the souls who unlocked the Nintendo Wii's homebrew potential (and defended it time and again) claim to have broken into the PlayStation 3 as well. Last we left the black monolith, Sony had won a round, forcing the community to downgrade their firmware for any hope at hacking into the console. Well, the newly formed fail0verflow hacking squad says that won't be a problem any longer, because they've found a way to get the PS3 to reveal its own private cryptography key -- the magic password that could let the community sign its very own code.

So far, the team hasn't provided any proof that the deed's been done, but they have provided quite an extensive explanation of how they managed the feat: apparently, Sony didn't bother generating any random numbers to secure the blasted thing. (We don't really know how it works, but we have it on good authority that dead cryptography professors are rapidly spinning in their graves.) The group intends to generate a proof-of-concept video tomorrow, and release the tools sometime next month, which they claim should eventually enable the installation of Linux on every PS3 ever sold.

my kingdom for a source

demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGI0EnNQ5GE

whole shebang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcbaeKA2moE

i'm too dumb to know what all of this means

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have there been no pirated games for the PS3 yet? I never owned a modified console, I don't buy many games and the ones I own I play forever, but that's a surprise to me.

The PS3 was hacked back in september but it needed a jailbreaking device.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

dear god this would be awesome if true and applicable for the wider user community (meaning it is not out of technical reach).

i just got an older 80gb ps3 in a stupid good deal last night and was hopin' wishin' prayin' that this would be possible.

Guest futuregirlfriend

dear god this would be awesome if true and applicable for the wider user community (meaning it is not out of technical reach). i just got an older 80gb ps3 in a stupid good deal last night and was hopin' wishin' prayin' that this would be possible.

I'd imagine within time there'll be an easy softmod guide like for the Wii. Lots of people are going to want to get on this.

*downloads ps3*

Guest Deep Fried Everything

I'd imagine within time there'll be an easy softmod guide like for the Wii. Lots of people are going to want to get on this.

*downloads ps3*

fingers crossed! :gamer:

I think the no online multiplayer part of it is more important than the store.

couldn't you setup your own multi player network if it's jailbroken?

Only as a local network multiplayer which would mean that you'd have to get all your friend together to play.

Sony will find a way to patch this... that, or go the Microsoft route and ban you from PSN if they detect pirated games on your machine...

It's hard to see how Sony will be able to use software to get around what has basically a hardware hack. Due to their cryptography routines (why did you do it Sony? why write your own when there are very secure libraries out there already?) not using random numbers to salt the key.

They should just start banning people like MS does. Way easier and less expensive.

interested to see what people will do with this other run pirated games. sony would only ban people who are running pirated games and not homebrew stuff?

If they started banning people they would probably even ban people who are running homebrewed stuff because they could potentially use it for pirated games.

I don't really know where I stand in all of this because I know a lot of hackers do it to get credit among other hackers but you have to weigh both the good and the bad, and in the end the hack will do far more harm than good.

a lot of hackers do it to get credit among other hackers but you have to weigh both the good and the bad, and in the end the hack will do far more harm than good.

This

interested to see what people will do with this other run pirated games. sony would only ban people who are running pirated games and not homebrew stuff?

If they started banning people they would probably even ban people who are running homebrewed stuff because they could potentially use it for pirated games.

I don't really know where I stand in all of this because I know a lot of hackers do it to get credit among other hackers but you have to weigh both the good and the bad, and in the end the hack will do far more harm than good.

yeah its to early say, if people start to do interesting things with it, like making there own games and running emulators on it etc then im all for it, but if its just ends up being used just for pirated games then its a bit of a waste of resources BUT im definitely all for people hacking the encryption code. if sony do start banning peeople, part of me thinks thats unfair, as you spent however much on it so you should be able to do what you want with it as its yours, they shouldn't be spying. surely consoles should be fully open so people can just make shit?

I'm not sure it's that black and white.

I've read a lot of posts from people online comparing it to spray painting a car, so let's take a car as an example. A car's value is entirely in its physical body - once you own a Ford you really don't need them to get the most out of your car. It's your car and you can do to whatever you want. Blow it up? Sure, go ahead. It's your car and the car company won't loose any money on it - but the same does not apply to games.

A PS3's value is (to most people) in its software; if the security of that can't be guarded, game production will stop and the system itself becomes worthless.

I don't think anyone is against the possibility to use a device for more than it's supposed to, like running Linux on the PS3, but if that also means piracy than it needs to be shut down. Piracy ruins the game productions, which then ruins the gaming companies, which then ruins the PS3's, Xbox360's etc. future.

A lot of people online are going on about Sony not protecting their console well enough because they wanted to write their own protective code (and yeah, I kinda did so myself in on my of previous posts) but once there's a lock of some sort people will do whatever it takes to kind a key that will unlock it. It's like a magic trick. People want to know how it's done and that ruins the magic/market. But this has always been around so no matter how many different kind of codes Sony, Microsoft or Valve (i.e. Steam) write in order to keep their product safe someone will always try and go by it. So like I said before: ban them.

Guest Adjective

i updated to official firmware 3.55 and then upgraded to geohot's 3.55 cfw. the cfw just adds a menu item for installing packages as far as i know.

from there i've installed an snes, nes, genesis, and gba emulator, all of which run great.

there's also an app called multiman that is an all in one ftp server, file, and backup manager, which is nice for sending stuff to the ps3 over a network.

haven't tried to do anything with backups. the last i checked that was all still a work in progress.

and about PSN bans - from this thread

On boot the system contacts the server and uploads the play list etc. this list alone is enough to get anyone that goes online banned as it shows the bootmanger etc. has been running. Here is the list and what they do, I port sniffed this a while ago before I went online with a retail unit >.> because I am not stupid hehe.

All these need to be blocked, web access will still work, updates will still work, but psn and any system messages/ads/communication will be blocked completely. For other areas someone would have to sniff the addresses again to compare. North American Servers are listed.

Quote:

fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)

mercury.dl.playstation.net > What's new ads

nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview

nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads

(main file exchange connections)

us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection

ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection

dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)

auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server

(destination servers)

service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)

(Error Reporting)

creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

Almost all connections cannot just be port blocked, the port will continue to increment until it connects, you have to block the entire domains. Also a big point is that ALL computers on your network need to have these blocked not just the PS3's MAC because if you are running a proxy for example to get patches, the computer you proxy to will just allow the connections right out to the open unless all local IPs are blocked from these sites as well.

what would you rather have, free games or the chance to buy things from PSN?

I know it's insane, but I'd rather not have free games - all the consoles I've hacked to run free games I get bored of quickly and stop playing them. I was always glad the PS3 never got hacked (until now).

They'd probably ban anyone running unauthorized code. Then again, Sony's been oddly cautious about this ever since the first jailbreak happened - perhaps they are playing it smart and see how much of a problem (if at all) it becomes for them.

i updated to official firmware 3.55 and then upgraded to geohot's 3.55 cfw. the cfw just adds a menu item for installing packages as far as i know.

from there i've installed an snes, nes, genesis, and gba emulator, all of which run great.

there's also an app called multiman that is an all in one ftp server, file, and backup manager, which is nice for sending stuff to the ps3 over a network.

haven't tried to do anything with backups. the last i checked that was all still a work in progress.

and about PSN bans - from this thread

On boot the system contacts the server and uploads the play list etc. this list alone is enough to get anyone that goes online banned as it shows the bootmanger etc. has been running. Here is the list and what they do, I port sniffed this a while ago before I went online with a retail unit >.> because I am not stupid hehe.

All these need to be blocked, web access will still work, updates will still work, but psn and any system messages/ads/communication will be blocked completely. For other areas someone would have to sniff the addresses again to compare. North American Servers are listed.

Quote:

fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)

mercury.dl.playstation.net > What's new ads

nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview

nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads

(main file exchange connections)

us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection

ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection

dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)

auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server

(destination servers)

service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)

(Error Reporting)

creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

Almost all connections cannot just be port blocked, the port will continue to increment until it connects, you have to block the entire domains. Also a big point is that ALL computers on your network need to have these blocked not just the PS3's MAC because if you are running a proxy for example to get patches, the computer you proxy to will just allow the connections right out to the open unless all local IPs are blocked from these sites as well.

Yeah, I figured there would be some sort of way Sony could 'catch' people doing this - and not being able to play online with others would ruin any games really (CoD 8 or Killzone 3 or LBP2 would be useless without online multiplayer). I bet this will lead to some ghey trophy hacking though, so get ready for people with 100+ platinums even though they don't have the games, etc.

dont you have to agree to PSN's Terms of Service? Im guessing that there is certainly a clause allowing PSN to ban anyone for any reason seen fit...sorta overriding this whole argument fromthe get go.

Archived