IGNORED

knives

Guest fiznuthian

Upon opening this thread I wasn't too sure about it. Then upon further consideration, my father always carried a knife and I'm seeing the benefits in getting a solid one now as well, even just to keep in the office/studio for mundane tasks.

But then I'm not sure if my laziness would just take over and I'd reach for scissors like I always do...or worse yet...use my car keys to cut tape on packages...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hahathhat

my sister likes knives. we had a nice conversation on christmas about what knives you can legally carry where, and she showed me some mean looking one she had on her then. mom was not amused.

Guest fiznuthian

Upon opening this thread I wasn't too sure about it. Then upon further consideration, my father always carried a knife and I'm seeing the benefits in getting a solid one now as well, even just to keep in the office/studio for mundane tasks.

But then I'm not sure if my laziness would just take over and I'd reach for scissors like I always do...or worse yet...use my car keys to cut tape on packages...

stabbing package boxes is fun like popping bubble wrap!

Guest cardan

22-01405-1.jpg

Gerber Kiowa... I bought this for like $8 in the Czech Republic a few years ago cuz it looked so sweet but ended up having to leave it behind when I left... I bought it online when I got back home. It feels great to hold.

Get one of those small swiss army knives w/ scissors, file and a knife on it. Always useful.

gimme a multitool/leatherman over a knife any day

1097-large1.jpg

Leatherman-Charge-XTI-Lg.jpg

multi-tools are nice. i'd like to get a nicer one someday.

any other good multi-tool manufacturers other than leatherman?

can't say i know much about them.

I heard a lot of good things about this. But it's expensive.

BY15P_L.jpg

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=241

Also check out gerber. http://www.gerber-tools.com/.

I have a leatherman blast myself. I can tell only good things about it.

Edited by Adam Beker

Guest fiznuthian

gimme a multitool/leatherman over a knife any day

1097-large1.jpg

Leatherman-Charge-XTI-Lg.jpg

BY15P_L.jpg

wow, nice looking multi-tool. and honestly $120 for a nice spyderco multi isn't too bad.

i shy away from gerber since they started pushing further into the cheap knife market some time ago.

now they tend to cater to the low-end knife market.. with some exceptions. there's a few i'd love to have.

still some great designs though.

wow, nice looking multi-tool. and honestly $120 for a nice spyderco multi isn't too bad.

i shy away from gerber since they started pushing further into the cheap knife market some time ago.

now they tend to cater to the low-end knife market.. with some exceptions. there's a few i'd love to have.

still some great designs though.

I got a leatherman skeletool as a gift a couple years ago - it's held up extremely well, from working on my jeep, offroading, boating (in saltwater), fishing, taking apart my electronics, opening boxes... etc etc. And they're not that expensive. And they look kinda badass.

the-skeletool-300x248.jpg

Leatherman, Spyderco, both great. Gerber has been complete shit for the past few years, every gerber knife I've ever owned has broken or corroded away. For the money you pay for a gerber you could buy 4-5 chinese knockoffs and get the same results.

Edited by EDGEY

Guest fiznuthian

found another excellent multi-tool, a nice alternative to leatherman.

SOG-PowerLock-EOD-Black-V-Cutter-B63-350x350.gif

they've sold me on their compound leverage mechanism, which amplifies the grip and cutting power.

should really take the strain out of crimping and cutting wires.

knifes arent cool :shrug: violencs is bad

i have a knife though is is a red swiss army knife

i dont carry it with me im not a dingus

jbc 4 life

sc

Ive collected knives over the years since I used to work on a farm and a folding knife was always handy.

My favourites are a small fixed blade survival knife with a screw off cap on the handle for ,I dunno-windproof matches,fishing line,that sort of thing.Also I have a lovely Bear claw made by CRKT,it was one of those things that I saw and had to have because its so beautiful.

Also a huge fan of CRKT tanto blades with no real tang/handle just a piece of heavy duty cord wrapped around it.

Leatherman/Gerber are lovely multi tools but I stick with my old dependable Rolson.Doesnt cost as much if you lose it.

A custom bike builder once gave me a scarab on a silver chain which looked a bit like a steel beetle but on closer inspection was a plier/blade/file combo.It was confiscated by W******* Police Force years ago and destroyed. :rolleyes:

Guest fiznuthian

knifes arent cool :shrug: violencs is bad

i have a knife though is is a red swiss army knife

i dont carry it with me im not a dingus

jbc 4 life

sc

knives are not inherently a weapon.

i could jab a pencil or a fork into someone's throat and probably kill them but you wouldn't

question me if i carried either around would you?

what gave you the impression that we are interested in knives as a means to harm others?

is there not something to appreciate in the art of steel crafting?

unlike firearms which serve no other purpose, knives have a great number of uses that

aren't at all related to hurting living things.

violence is only a small part of their history since humans first invented the knife,

and a very small part. they've mostly been used for survival, and you know, to cut stuff that

needs to be cut.

homes weren't always built by machine, you know. when there was no saw, a piece of steel with an edge had to suffice.

and before processed food, knives played a large role in human's ability to feed themselves.

perhaps its scary to see someone using a knife with 7-9 inch blades but

small pocket knives just won't last the lifetime that a well-kept fixed blade will under heavy stress.

knifes are wrong, if you carried a knife to "survival" do you also carry cans of food with you, rope and other stuff ?

a back pack full of stuff you need for surviving

knives are not inherently a weapon.

i could jab a pencil or a fork into someone's throat and probably kill them but you wouldn't

question me if i carried either around would you?

@ 1:40

[youtubehd]20DN9wDhbAo[/youtubehd]

i've done something similar but with a stone, yeah to a security, i fucking hate those bastards!!! i wonder what went trough his mind when he realized that a small figure like me had fucked his face off. i bet he didn't saw it coming :aphexsign:

on the other hand, a black dude stabbed me...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

knifes are wrong, if you carried a knife to "survival" do you also carry cans of food with you, rope and other stuff ?

Depends entirely where youre going.

Obvioulsy if I was going to get a pedicure down at PollyPosh Shine'n'Gloss Id probably leave my survival kit at home.However ,I always,always carry a multi tool.

a back pack full of stuff you need for surviving

hey but where is smileys :shrug: and typng in worgn way thats cool :sup: ?

Edited by triachus