IGNORED

deerhunter

jules

i have really taken to the music of deerhunter lately. their new album is really nice and made me dig back into their catalog again. i have a newfound appreciation for them. before i thought they were good but i really love their sound these days. but wtf is with cox man? is he sick or something?

Deerhunter.jpg

2z6xtnb.jpg

2ziqvl4.jpg

Do your fucking research before posting here fuck, read the rules jesus. I thought a person of your seniority would understand this but noooooooooo

:cisfor:

lol well I wanted a dialog on deerhunter but ended up just asking about cox. my bad. their music is amazing for me right now.

Yeah, I had no idea that this dude was the lead singer of Deerhunter. I used to go to his band practices when he was 14 and I was 12. lol... I wonder if I still have his old music somewhere? Hmmmm...

It's built into him. He wore dresses when he was a kid. He jumped out of a second story window once. He used to chase my sister's friends around with a kitchen knife. He's always been that way.

Yeah, I had no idea that this dude was the lead singer of Deerhunter. I used to go to his band practices when he was 14 and I was 12. lol... I wonder if I still have his old music somewhere? Hmmmm...

No kidding! That music you have might be on his blog, he frequently posts his old demos and recordings. If not, I'm sure he wouldn't mind it being posted if you contacted him.

My link

• 6 months later...

It's built into him. He wore dresses when he was a kid. He jumped out of a second story window once. He used to chase my sister's friends around with a kitchen knife. He's always been that way.

oh lol

Do you think he remembers you? Will he let you enter in his studio or something?

He contacted me on MySpace years ago, before I had heard of him or Deerhunter or any of that, although they were already famous. It was right when he was doing the Atlas Sound stuff, before the album came out. He was asking me to send him an EP I did for Attacknine called Clover Farm, and he bought a cassette of folk songs I had out back then too. We spoke on the phone a few times, and after about 2 weeks, I never heard from him again.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I think he's a genius. Love Atlas Sound too. Really want to see him play live. Some of the youtubes I've seen of him solo are surprisingly mind blowing.

• 7 months later...

Deerhunter and Atlas Sound mastermind Bradford Cox has never been one to restrain his feelings. "I need punk rock," he told Pitchfork last year. "I am not an indie rock musician. I don't even know what the fuck that means."

That attitude was on full display Friday night, during an Atlas Sound show at the Cedar Cultural Center in Minneapolis. In a report for City Pages, writer Sally Hedberg noted that "things felt a little awkward" from the beginning, when Cox took the stage with his face "concealed by a menacing, black ski mask."

After performing selections from 2011's Parallax and a cover of Beat Happening's "Youth", Cox then, apparently, went totally and blissfully insane, while heeding an audience member's request for the Knack's 1979 power pop single

. He presented a cryptic and noisy rendition that, according to Minnesota Daily, lasted for a full hour."I am a performance artist," Cox said. "I must play what you want to hear."

"It morphed into something bizarre," City Pages wrote, noting that he was joined by the night's openers, Frankie Broyles and Carnivores, for "an unending cover that rivaled the length of a Phish concert." He ordered the man who asked for the song to take the stage and strip down to his underwear, and repeatedly stated that "this is what happens when you make requests."

MN Daily wrote:

Above all the noise and feedback, he contemplated the death of folk music, the passing of time, and the ends of our lives in a frantic, spoken-word beat-poetry style that he himself compared to Patti Smith.

Meanwhile, the report from
City Pages
continues:

[The openers] were visibly uncomfortable and beginning to question the sanity of their esteemed proctor, unwillingly locked in some twisted, Doomsday clock performance of a 70s hit. Yet, 'My Sharona' endured still, as did Cox's increasingly awkward interactions with the audience. He asked people to take their clothes off. He shouted seemingly intoxicated defenses about his art. He simulated fellatio. He, to the horror of the Cedar employees, told everyone to pick up their chairs and shake them above their heads... it was unsettling and some people began filtering out of the venue. Eventually, after inviting the audience onstage (which visibly gave the Cedar staff an anxiety attack) he seemed to get the picture that the show was over and bid his adieu, dedicating the show to "the death of folk music and the birth of punk."

Guest W32MyDoom

I have no idea wtf he's doing. I always thought he would self destruct and this might be it. I know he likes to do shows high on this or that, which may have contributed to the debacle.

I've been really into Deerhunter since Halycon Digest. Them and Lorn were the highlights for me of the 2010 Bleep 100.

Be sure to grab all of the Halycon Digest B-Sides.

Edit: The track Coronado makes me so mad. Such a perfectly beautiful track and then that nasty wailing saxophone solo comes in.

So I found out my brother-in-law volunteered to work a music festival in Denton, TX this weekend, and he was tasked with driving Bradford around. He's a huge fan and is beyond stoked (and a bit nervous).

From what I've read, Bradford has been doing lots of batshit stuff lately. In one of his recent shows, he had a bizarre monologue with a 13 year old boy that he invited onto the stage who was supposed to represent a younger version of himself. Apparently he went on for 20 minutes about people who have disappointed him and he referred the boy as "just like me, only cuter." I can't really blame him for losing his shit, looking the way he does. I mean he's been a good enough sport about it to have two music projects at the same time and tour, be a high-profile indie artist, etc.

Archived