IGNORED

2 minute film from a student filmmaker in Jerusalem

zazen

Guest hahathhat

i don't understand

water pitcher sacred. people worship water pitcher. people kill people that do not worship water pitcher. water pitcher is deliberately urbane and stupid. water pitcher is not used as neti pot in video, despite futuregirlfriend's rabid expectation.

ok. So the water pitcher is just a symbol and it has no actual use. Is this a critic ? Does that mean people should use 6 points stars as shurikens ?

jewish_ninja-1.jpg

When i saw the title of the thread i really hoped the film would just be impressive in its own right and not be some commentary about islam. I wish the religious overtones could just be dropped so we can view the region's culture seperate from the muslim identity.

Guest hahathhat

i'm still kind of dismayed that babar failed to get the idea of the video. perhaps this religious shit is not really present in france?

:facepalm: didn't know the kkk was islamic.

i have to concede my previous post to the mercy of the derps.

what i was really trying to get at is that it seems like in the mainstream media its rare to get an authentic slice of culture from the middle east without some heavy-handed religious commentary.

When i see these students getting these creative opportunities i feel like its squandered to make such an obtuse point.

i'm still kind of dismayed that babar failed to get the idea of the video. perhaps this religious shit is not really present in france?

I don't understand why they used the water pitcher. Why not a wrench, or a tea spoon ? What are they trying to do ? To show us that symbols are arbitrary to some extents ?

I wouldn't surprised if the whole mechanism of the film relies on some jewish "meme"/idiom. Here is my own interpretation : in french you can say "to pour tears" instead of saying "to cry". So maybe the water pitcher is here to convey that jews worship the sadness of their own tragedy through their religion - a tear pitcher then.

Guest ansgaria

I get the premise, pretty nicely put together, but I really dislike the music video touch to it. It just ruins a great deal of the artistic stuff for me. Even if the track does empathize the point, it still should have been done differently - in my personal opinion.

Guest hahathhat

I don't understand why they used the water pitcher. Why not a wrench, or a tea spoon ? What are they trying to do ? To show us that symbols are arbitrary to some extents ?

I wouldn't surprised if the whole mechanism of the film relies on some jewish "meme"/idiom. Here is my own interpretation : in french you can say "to pour tears" instead of saying "to cry". So maybe the water pitcher is here to convey that jews worship the sadness of their own tragedy through their religion - a tear pitcher then.

yes, symbols are arbitrary, but that is not the point. the point is this: if you were not familiar with ANY of this religious craziness and you just walked in and saw it, you'd think these people were insane. but it's around us to the point that religious charms hanging off a cab mirror are tuned out. same with the violence -- it just becomes part of the scenery. the pitcher was picked simply because it was anything except a star of david, a cross, etc. and is designed to bring all this back into the conscious mind, much as you never notice someone's hair until they get a haircut!

also, i am a dweeb for writing that.

yes, symbols are arbitrary, but that is not the point. the point is this: if you were not familiar with ANY of this religious craziness and you just walked in and saw it, you'd think these people were insane. but it's around us to the point that religious charms hanging off a cab mirror are tuned out. same with the violence -- it just becomes part of the scenery. the pitcher was picked simply because it was anything except a star of david, a cross, etc. and is designed to bring all this back into the conscious mind, much as you never notice someone's hair until they get a haircut!

also, i am a dweeb for writing that.

Second that, its just to do with an arbitrary symbol.

Its a fairly simple idea to substitute religion symbolism for something arbitrary (like Russell's Teapot or the FSM) but the film is quite creative with the idea, and his editing together of wide shots (normal) and close ups of his friends/actors (with the watering can) is very effective. This film was probably made for very little money but it looks great.

In fact, I think the watering can does have a special meaning to the director. If you look at this

of his, it similarly uses the watering can as a point of focus, but without the religious commentary. Perhaps these two films are going to be part of a longer series of studies of the watering can in different contexts. But the second film stands alone, to an extent, its pretty clear the watering can just be taken as a placeholder for symbols or objects in general, whatever the personal meaning is to the director.

Archived