IGNORED

Introducing the last 50 years of popular music to an ignoramus

dr lopez

OK so i need to create a playlist for someone who knows nothing (like couldn't name a beatles song) that gave the broadest survey of rock and pop music in about 100 songs. what would you play? And covering everything from classic, metal, new wave, punk, techno-pop, hip-hop, soul, disco and alternative stuff from the 90s and 00s, without straying to far into those categories. Just a song or two by an artist or two who are representative of each genre in some way. i.e. the most iconic, famous, successful.

I don't want my selections to be totally one-sided towards my tastes or just knowledge (I know nothing of metal) so please just call out tracks to you that are iconic and are required listening, and even if the song in your opinion isn't the best song of that artist, just the one that historically is remembered, like Heroes for DB or Stairway for led zep.

I need help! :trashbear:

Songs that come to mind:

The Turtles- Happy Together

The Beatles- 8 Days a Week

Nena- 99 Luftballoons

Duran Duran- Hungry Like The Wolf

Kraftwerk- Die Roboter

Chuck Berry- Johnny B. Goode

Pink Floyd- Another Brick in the Wall (pt. 1-3)

I could probably ask my dad for a ton of shit if you're interested.

I'd have said Whole Lotta Love by Zep myself

Also off the top of my head:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Stones)

Fools Gold (Stone Roses)

God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols)

How Soon Is Now? (The Smiths)

Blue Monday (New Order)

Bring The Noise (P.E.)

All You Need Is Love (Beatles)

Light My Fire (Doors)

Wonderwall (Oasis)

Money For Nothing (Dire Straits)

Tour De France (Kraftwerk)

It's A Sin (Pet Shop Boys)

Paranoid (Black Sabbath)

I don't necessarily like all of those, and I'm not sure why I even thought of some of them. Interesting thread really, and not as easy as I thought it'd be.

basically everything after 1970 is a rehash of what came before, but that doesn't mean it sucks. just write that on a napkin and give it to him.

Guest disparaissant

basically everything after 1970 is a rehash of what came before, but that doesn't mean it sucks. just write that on a napkin and give it to him.

i'd ratchet that up to say, 1983 or so, but otherwise spot on.

Guest Greg Reason

i'd ratchet that up to say, 1983 or so, but otherwise spot on.

I disagree strongly

Archived