IGNORED

Rooney scores a goal that's better than Hollywood.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always think people who wax lyrical about overhead kicks have never actually played football, at least not at a half decent level. From a technique point of view, they're not that difficult, particularly when you're that close to the goal. Any decent centre forward in the top 4 divisions would have finished that with that much space. Well done buying into the usual Murdoch propaganda. I agree his goal against Newcastle was better. There are better goals scored every week. Tiote's against Arsenal last week was better. Nolan's overhead against Sunderland was better technique.

There definitely seems to have been a bit of a weird response to this goal. Brilliant goal obviously but definitely not goal of the season and probably wont even be the best goal scored at old trafford this season.

I always think people who wax lyrical about overhead kicks have never actually played football, at least not at a half decent level. From a technique point of view, they're not that difficult, particularly when you're that close to the goal. Any decent centre forward in the top 4 divisions would have finished that with that much space. Well done buying into the usual Murdoch propaganda. I agree his goal against Newcastle was better. There are better goals scored every week. Tiote's against Arsenal last week was better. Nolan's overhead against Sunderland was better technique.

a thread and a poll would do justice

There definitely seems to have been a bit of a weird response to this goal. Brilliant goal obviously but definitely not goal of the season and probably wont even be the best goal scored at old trafford this season.

i haven't seen the goal due to youtube link being non existent.

Guest Mirezzi

It has to do with vision, not athletics, and yes, a bit of luck. That's what makes the overhead kick so enjoyable.

Still, I agree that his goal against Newcastle was 10x more impressive.

I disagree (and I have played football at a reasonably high level) - look at the numbers. How many goals do you see lashed in on the volley/half-volley a la Tiote's or Rooney's against you lot? PLENTY. Even Darren Gibson can crack them in from range, and Darren Gibson has been nothing but a disappointment in United shirt. Overheads that aren't pure fluke - not so many (hell even those which are pure fluke are much rarer than volleyed in goals from range).

To execute the overhead in that tight a space required incredible athletic ability - but don't just ask me: Rooney himself calls it the best goal of his career to date. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/9395101.stm (last I checked Dear Aunty hadn't succumbed to the Murdoch penis?)

Disagree, I play semi-pro and don't think I've ever seen a 'proper' overhead kick scored like Rooney's. It's impressive because it's not something you'll ever really practice. In training if anyone ever tried something like that they'll be bollocked, because it's not playing the percentage... flick it on or head it on or try to bring it down. Rooney's goal is so impressive because the technique is perfect and he had the guts to take it on. Just like his goal against Newcastle or his goal against Arsenal.

Tiote's was a great goal, but volleying from outside the box is something that'll you practice and you see players scoring those kind of goals much more regularly, at all levels.

He doesn't actually shin it - it comes off the bit just below the shin. It's not the cleanest strike ever, but then again, fewer goals than you'd care to admit are.

It was basically his only option, as he had Micah Richards (christ that boy is a beast - he deserves the England right back position over Johnson) closing in from one side and i think Kompany closing in from the other side.roooooneyyy-o.gif

Disagree, I play semi-pro and don't think I've ever seen a 'proper' overhead kick scored like Rooney's. It's impressive because it's not something you'll ever really practice. In training if anyone ever tried something like that they'll be bollocked, because it's not playing the percentage... flick it on or head it on or try to bring it down. Rooney's goal is so impressive because the technique is perfect and he had the guts to take it on. Just like his goal against Newcastle or his goal against Arsenal.

Tiote's was a great goal, but volleying from outside the box is something that'll you practice and you see players scoring those kind of goals much more regularly, at all levels.

The clue that I wasn't entirely serious was in the last bit. Nolan was sitting on his arse when he scored against the mackems. It's a good goal but it's getting too much hype. Tiote's was also on his wrong foot. Viewed directly from behind you see just how perfectly it was hit.

I think people are a little reluctant to give Rooney his dues on this goal cause he's not the most popular player, what with his criticizing the England fans during the world cup and then cheating on his missus with a hooker.

Guest Dirty Protest

I think people are a little reluctant to give Rooney his dues on this goal cause he's not the most popular player, what with his criticizing the England fans during the world cup and then cheating on his missus with a hooker.

I think the opposite is true. I dont remember Crouch getting all this brewhaha(always wanted to use that in a sentence) for his overhead kicks and its much harder for him to wrap his gangly body round one.

Archived