IGNORED

Dune behind the scenes

marf

Guest Jackson Michaels

To this day Lynch refuses to discuss anything related to Dune.

From what I've read it's the combination of the studio taking control of the editing, and to Lynch himself biting off more than he could chew. I love Lynch, but at the time I think the project was too big for him to handle. In my opinion the movie itself isn't awful, but compared to the book it's... not particularly good either.

Guest disparaissant

From what I've read it's the combination of the studio taking control of the editing, and to Lynch himself biting off more than he could chew. I love Lynch, but at the time I think the project was too big for him to handle. In my opinion the movie itself isn't awful, but compared to the book it's... not particularly good either.

I don't much care for the books. I mean, I like the ideas behind them and the events that happen in them and all that, but Herbert's writing style is just blurgh. Super dense and just dry as fuck. Much prefer the movie, flawed as it is.

Guest Jackson Michaels

I don't much care for the books. I mean, I like the ideas behind them and the events that happen in them and all that, but Herbert's writing style is just blurgh. Super dense and just dry as fuck. Much prefer the movie, flawed as it is.

I agree the books can be sorta dry at times, but I kind of like that style (at least when it comes to science fiction). Herbert went to extreme lengths to "invent" a new universe, and not many have done it better than him (imo).

But, I see where you're coming from, and it all comes down to taste basically.

Guest disparaissant

yeah different strokes for different folks. i much prefer the phil dick "DRUGS AND FEELINGS!" style sci-fi, personally. and vonnegut.

I really wish Lynch would take a crack at the fantastical again, this time with more say/control.

Slightly off topic has anybody here seen the 3 hour extended version? It's on my hit list..

Guest enxyme

I have to say that I really don't care about Dune's flaws. The set design, costumes, and music are enough for me to love.

Nailed it...

And the elaborate custom synth sound effects are wonderful...

Guest disparaissant

Slightly off topic has anybody here seen the 3 hour extended version? It's on my hit list..

There's a reason it's called "The Alan Smithee Cut." I mean the Lynch cut leaves a lot of important info out, but the extended cut mostly just has SHITLOADS of voiceover stuff that explains in EXCRUCIATING detail the most obvious stuff from the plot. It's just... not good. It's like the version of Blade Runner that has the Deckard voiceover. It's just not necessary.

Guest Shit Attack

check out sean youngs favourite videos she seems to be a conspiracy nut: "painting in the new world order", "magick + the matrix" etc. also pretty sure the extended cut of dune is on bit torrents (or is that too obvious) never watched it tho

Guest Adjective

There's a reason it's called "The Alan Smithee Cut." I mean the Lynch cut leaves a lot of important info out, but the extended cut mostly just has SHITLOADS of voiceover stuff that explains in EXCRUCIATING detail the most obvious stuff from the plot. It's just... not good. It's like the version of Blade Runner that has the Deckard voiceover. It's just not necessary.

i agree with this analysis...the extended cut is something i play when i just need dune in the background for as long as possible if i'm working on something else. it's not lynch's dune, it feels like dune with some powerpoint mixed in.

I wonder what would have happened if Ridley Scott had directed Dune?

He did get first refusal but the death of his bro and the mortality themes in Bladrunner appealed to him more.

At the end of the day I don't think Lynch, although a good director, was right for the task which in itself was a huge undertaking to do right in a single film.

44 million and the spent most of it in the first third of the film which was a damn shame as this could really have been epic.

The nasty bit with the Baron really disturbed me as a kid, put me off raspberry ice lollies forever.

Archived