IGNORED

Tangerine Dream

halisray

My dad had (RIP) everything by Tangerine Dream. All the soundtracks, all the boxsets, all the crap stuff, all the vhs videos of stuff like Canyon Dreams. It's all still in the house but I don't listen to it as I recall most of it wasn't that good, some of it is really terrible lol.

I didn't listen to IDM when he was alive, I wonder what he would think of it? I bet Boards of Canada he would really like.

My dad too man, over the last holiday. I'm just glad he's not having to suffer anymore. Heart goes out to you.

You're pretty safe w/ Tangerine Dream up thru about '85 and then it just goes down from there, is the impression I'm getting, but there are certainly very amazing things in that time frame.

I think, come the 80s, Tangerine Dream just went with the times instead of even trying to pioneer anything... Hyperborea is very evident of this. To me it sounds like an electronic soundtrack to Miami Vice. Not necessarily a bad thing and I like the album but they were clearly a different band by then. Understandable with the amount of exploring they did in the 70s, if you ask me.

Gotta agree that Atem is superb. I can't decide a favorite from their 72-75 era, discounting Ricochet which is just plain air to me.

Guest analogue wings

if you know which artists Tangerine Dream were copying in the '80s, can you please link them in this thread? I would really like to hear them.

Guest Promo

'Phaedra' is a personal fav and I guess that's 'cause it was the first Tangerine Dream I heard. I think I got a few other early Tangerine Dream original pressed records but don't have anything post 'Phaedra'. Rubycon was quite reasonable but don't recall anything after that particular captivating.

Guest Coalbucket PI

The post a picture from your date of birth thread in General banter just informed me that there is a Tangerine Dream in Cleveland 1986 live album, as that was the day I was born I'd like to hear it, has anyone heard this?

My dad had a few of their albums but as a kid I always went for Mike Oldfield, I can't really remember much of Tangerine Dream, the album cover I recognise from my childhood is Tyger. Will have to dig that out as I'm sure I'll recognise some of it.

if you know which artists Tangerine Dream were copying in the '80s, can you please link them in this thread? I would really like to hear them.

I don't know, I didn't mean that they were straight out copying anybody. I rather meant that if you played their (early) 80s output to anyone not familiar with TD, they'd be able to pinpoint which decade that music is from, just like The Beatles etc bore the 60s sound and so on.

Guest alin

Talking about Tangerine Dream: anyone here likes their album from 1999, "Mars Polaris"?

This is my favorite TD album. Others: Phaedra, Le Parc, Hyperbora, Rubycon, Force Majeure, Exit, Poland etc.

• 1 year later...

a huge pot of tea containing roughly a thousand psilocybe semilanceata, shared between eight of us. it was an old apartment with lots of fractal-esque cracks in the plaster on the roof. we were all lying down staring at the roof when it hit, and all of a sudden the cracks were a full-on circulatory system, pulsing in time with the arpeggios. absolute silence in the room for the duration of the album. after it ended we compared experiences, and we all had the same one.

I know next to nothing about TD, but I picked up this cheap thing called "The Virgin Years Part 1" or whatever the other day. Tracklist is somewhat bizarre, but it's QG. Might be worth tracking down if you prefer to purchase compact discs still. As I do.

Legend Soundtrack is where it's at especially if you want to get down with a chick. Epic lovemaking music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH8te9Wvi-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N60vSxC051k&feature=relmfu

The flute thing on this really gets them going...

I echo the views on Atem, that is a stunning album and for me the best of their early works.

From the 70s period I favour Rubycon which is almost a symphony. The live album Encore is excellent too.

Things definitely took a downturn in the 80s but the 2 live albums Poland and Logos are definitely worth getting.

I've lost a touch a bit with TD of late but I see the releases keep coming thick and fast. Does anybody actually have evrything they made? I would think not. I've not heard Mars Polaris that Alin mentioned, nor The Keep which has piqued my interest too with the comments earlier on this thread. I did though get the 10-disc box set The Electronic Journey as a present last year. Thats a collection of 10 more recent cds. 3 of the albums on that are very good, Ocean Waves, Canyon Dreams and especially 7 Letters From Tibet which is a stunning ambient disc, the best of theirs I've heard from the last 30 years or so.

Incidentally anybody who's a big fan of mid-70s TD should check out a UK electronic band Redshift. They've got a prodigious catalogue of albums and are very heavily influenced by TD of that era. The great thing is their albums last an hour or so (as opposed to the 35 min TD albums) and some of the material is way better than TD's own. Sacrilege I hear you say!!! I'd particularly recommend Redshift (s/t), Ether, Wild 2 and Toll. As I say it's very heavily TD influenced but great music, almost like a host of undiscovered TD albums from circa 75-76.

Archived