IGNORED

The Bad Plus covering the fucking Rite of Spring

vamos scorcho

It was entertaining, but the bad plus generally seems to play incredibly drab and boring jazz. The pianist mostly uses simple and uninteresting chord voicings.

Guest Wall Bird

It was entertaining, but the bad plus generally seems to play incredibly drab and boring jazz. The pianist mostly uses simple and uninteresting chord voicings.

Ooooooook. I'm walking out the door in a moment, but when I get back you and I are gonna have a talk. Here. Listen to this while I'm gone:

[youtubehd]ULP3TcLaoaE[/youtubehd]

i thought it was pretty interesting hearing their rendition. not something i need to hear more than once or twice but still a great idea and well executed in my opinion.

regarding the pianist:

i'm not a big fan of the bad plus by any means, but i've often found myself inspired by their style. it's very simple but it's got a colorful, 'cubist' quality to it. like listening to big, bold blocks of color. for whatever reason i've never gotten very far into it, but i definitely like certain aspects of their music.

i've always heard them as a sort of abstract live IDM group. like live jazz performances of Plaid

I think that describes their appeal perfectly, for me

this one is the epitome of the 'big blocks/duplos/legos' of color/sound thing for me

regarding the 'Rite of Spring' by Stravinsky

I think I've finally concluded at this point in my life that it is my favorite piece of music ever written and that I will be aspiring to make something like it specifically for the next few years or so

Guest Wall Bird

lol i thought they were covering the emo band.

What made you decide that they weren't?

(I assume this was in reference to the track I posted. If not, carry on.)

Guest reyde_espana

tripping serious balls here buddy...

Guest reyde_espana

true that in this piece hes pretty much going with the score but Ethan Iverson is an incredible musician... his voicings are never common and well... his soloing... dont even getting me started about that...

just listen to his solo on Anthem For The Earnest... the guy takes it to another level of awesome complexity... even though the average music fan can still rock to it

Guest jim

so they took stravinsky's own four hands piano score, removed two of them and added some shitty atmospheric effects?

:music:

Essentially yes.

Ooooooook. I'm walking out the door in a moment, but when I get back you and I are gonna have a talk. Here. Listen to this while I'm gone:

[youtubehd]ULP3TcLaoaE[/youtubehd]

I listened. I can dig it. I'm listening to the album These are the Vistas. It isn't unattractive music. I'll have to listen to a bunch of albums. I think labeling it 'jazz' is what threw me off. It is more immediately similar in melodic elements to post-rock. I can relate to the sound a little better when I compare it to Nik Bartsch's Ronin. What I said about chord voicings is remaining true for the first two tracks, "These are the Vistas" is a lot of unaltered 5th chords. It still swings. I guess if their point is to avoid much polyphony than they do it well.

true that in this piece hes pretty much going with the score but Ethan Iverson is an incredible musician... his voicings are never common and well... his soloing... dont even getting me started about that...

just listen to his solo on Anthem For The Earnest... the guy takes it to another level of awesome complexity... even though the average music fan can still rock to it

k I'm listening to that now. This is really quite nice. I think I'm starting to get what they are about. I like the way the bass is doubling the piano, I always love when they do that in avant-garde jazz. It is kind of like taking a new-wave/art-punk melodic mentality and applying it to the clinical sound of millenial jazz. Sounds kind of like bloc party.

I guess I'm also judging based on what I have been wanting to hear out of jazz...I want to hear or make some new jazz that is lush and overflowing, some baroque pop of jazz. I haven't been looking very hard, but some stuff by Crimetime Orchestra, like "rest in peace" gets there for me. I'm listening to "Silence is the Question" and one might call it lush, but it isn't the lush that I'm looking for.

Guest reyde_espana

I guess I'm also judging based on what I have been wanting to hear out of jazz...I want to hear or make some new jazz that is lush and overflowing, some baroque pop of jazz. I haven't been looking very hard, but some stuff by Crimetime Orchestra, like "rest in peace" gets there for me. I'm listening to "Silence is the Question" and one might call it lush, but it isn't the lush that I'm looking for.

ok ok... glad you saw the light... but seriously... i dont think of it as jazz... i actually think of it as 3 guys making awesome sounds...

i saw them live a few years back and was in awwwe....

i wouldnt listen to it in such a serious manner... i really enjoy their compositons... listen to Dirty Blonde or Here We Test Our Powers Of Obsevation... its epic...

so they took stravinsky's own four hands piano score, removed two of them and added some shitty atmospheric effects?

:music:

Whoa, didn't know that -- Stravinsky himself arranged "Rite" for piano?

Edit: I think you kind of lose the impressionism of the piece without the timbral contrast of the different instruments playing the different 'animals.'

Archived